Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Cal Brown is one I'm flagging to play more midfield this season. His brother Tyler could be on the outer and will need to have a strong season to remain on the list. The other one I'm keen on is Isaac Chugg. I know some have written him off but he's got a lot of underdeveloped talent waiting to be unleashed in the big time. With a more consistent VFL roster, hopefully he can realise his potential. I flag him as a serial-pest/tagger possibility or a defensive wing.

Cal would need to Improve a Bloody Lot then

I think you can take it as an off the cuff remark from Hine to add a bit of positive spin.

I would virtually guarantee he hasnt grown since he was drafted. Remember he is drafted a year after his U18 year and has already turned 19. Almost all boys have reached full height by 16 year. A few with a later puberty will grow after 16 but its the exception and very rare after 18. Most obvious recent example of a player getting a few cms after drafting was Patrick Cripps. He looked like a boy when he was drafted and had a late puberty, hence the growth.

Begg on the otherhand already has a mature look in his TAC cup photos. I would guess he reached full heaight by 16 as most do. He cartainly wasnt putting on cms after we drafted him as he approached 19yo.

Then what about Darcy Moore that went from 197cm when Drafted to now 203 cm ?

I see Chugg playing a role as a shutdown defender if he's going to get into the side.

I would likely say unless there is some significant improvement from both, this year will be the last we see of Callum and Tyler Brown in black and white.

Getting my hopes up throwing some of these big names around like this!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see Chugg playing a role as a shutdown defender if he's going to get into the side.

I would likely say unless there is some significant improvement from both, this year will be the last we see of Callum and Tyler Brown in black and white.
Feels like that what he is from what I have seen. Prob why he gets limited stats, because he is a shutdown defender. Interesting to see what Leppa does with him.

I agree, this will be a big year for the brown boys. We have seen where Cal's best positon is. The midfield. Then he did his shoulder. Tyler's though, Wing? Can win his own clearances though.

I think you can take it as an off the cuff remark from Hine to add a bit of positive spin.

I would virtually guarantee he hasnt grown since he was drafted. Remember he is drafted a year after his U18 year and has already turned 19. Almost all boys have reached full height by 16 year. A few with a later puberty will grow after 16 but its the exception and very rare after 18. Most obvious recent example of a player getting a few cms after drafting was Patrick Cripps. He looked like a boy when he was drafted and had a late puberty, hence the growth.

Begg on the otherhand already has a mature look in his TAC cup photos. I would guess he reached full heaight by 16 as most do. He cartainly wasnt putting on cms after we drafted him as he approached 19yo.

I’m not for one second going to dispute this because I assume it’s facts, but on the basis of your post the AFL either attracts a disproportionate number of kids who grow post 16, there’s a lot of lies being told about player measurements or it’s a mix of both. If you were to look at players heights at the draft combine v mid career most would have grown in the intervening period.

I’m not for one second going to dispute this because I assume it’s facts, but on the basis of your post the AFL either attracts a disproportionate number of kids who grow post 16, there’s a lot of lies being told about player measurements or it’s a mix of both. If you were to look at players heights at the draft combine v mid career most would have grown in the intervening period.
There will be a few outliers who grow post being drafted but it’s few. Not many boys grow height wise after 16, they will fill out and develop muscle mass etc, and even less girls. It would seem almost counter intuitive to think the kids having late puberty and so late growth spurts are being over represented in the AFL draft

What there will be is variance in accuracy of measurement techniques, a cm here and there and the player/club will always take an extra cm or 2 gained that way. Clubs tinkering with heights has history, "Collingwood 6 footer". Even without people playing with the numbers there will always be variances and lack of standardisation in the technique and equipment used from the TAC club, to the AFL to individual clubs etc. It will be a combination of that and the clubs desire to put up the highest measure taken that will account for the "improvement" seen post draft.

Cripps is the classic recent true late growth spurt. His story fits perfectly with the kid who shot up aged 16-18 due to late onset puberty. These kids will be the little one in the team at 15 years old as almost everyone else has had their growth spurt. Puberty usually starts around 11 for girls and 12 for boys, full height will be reached about 4 years after that. Its only the very late puberties that will put on height after 18. See quotes below

TradeDraft draft bought up Darcy Moore as an interesting example. His draft data pegs him at 199 and current height 203. I have tried to find some references re his early years at Collingwood to see when his height change took place. Couldnt find anything. Loooking at his draft photos he looks a mature 18 year old and there is no reference to a late growth spurt in any articles I saw which would be the clue to who might be the one to get the few extra cms when they got to the club. My guess would be he didnt gain anything much after being drafted but thats an educated guess.

This came up regarding Hines estimate that Begg has grown 3cm since arriving at the club. Even more unlikely since he arrived the year after his TAC cup year and has just turned 19 and his TAC cup photos dont look like that late puberty kid.

THE TALL SMALL

Cripps' other unusual attribute was his height for an inside mid. He was then about 190 centimetres, having sprouted from the age of 15. "I was about 170-175 (centimetres) ... I was the smallest at my footy team and then probably 16 to 18 I shot up to about 190. And once I got to the club (Carlton), I grew another five centimetres.''

Cripps is the tallest bona-fide midfielder in the history of the game. On the field, he often stoops to conquer, since much of his game is played crouched over the ball, in a thicket of bodies. But when you stand next to him, his height is striking - exceeding that of many noted and imposing key forwards, including his sometime mentor Jonathan Brown (194).

As Cripps explained, he developed a small man's game, which he continued to play as he sprouted into a key-position body, having hit puberty late. "Everyone says 'you're big for a midfielder' but I felt like, I still feel like I've got all the traits of a small mid, just from growing up.'

I wouldn’t think Hine would make the comment unless he thought that with some degree of certainty.
ROFL.

Some degree of certainty would be to quote his actual height as measured in a definable metric, like 201cm.

"he's a biggin" doesn't cut it on the certainty credibility scale.

There will be a few outliers who grow post being drafted but it’s few. Not many boys grow height wise after 16, they will fill out and develop muscle mass etc, and even less girls. It would seem almost counter intuitive to think the kids having late puberty and so late growth spurts are being over represented in the AFL draft

What there will be is variance in accuracy of measurement techniques, a cm here and there and the player/club will always take an extra cm or 2 gained that way. Clubs tinkering with heights has history, "Collingwood 6 footer". Even without people playing with the numbers there will always be variances and lack of standardisation in the technique and equipment used from the TAC club, to the AFL to individual clubs etc. It will be a combination of that and the clubs desire to put up the highest measure taken that will account for the "improvement" seen post draft.

Cripps is the classic recent true late growth spurt. His story fits perfectly with the kid who shot up aged 16-18 due to late onset puberty. These kids will be the little one in the team at 15 years old as almost everyone else has had their growth spurt. Puberty usually starts around 11 for girls and 12 for boys, full height will be reached about 4 years after that. Its only the very late puberties that will put on height after 18. See quotes below

TradeDraft draft bought up Darcy Moore as an interesting example. His draft data pegs him at 199 and current height 203. I have tried to find some references re his early years at Collingwood to see when his height change took place. Couldnt find anything. Loooking at his draft photos he looks a mature 18 year old and there is no reference to a late growth spurt in any articles I saw which would be the clue to who might be the one to get the few extra cms when they got to the club. My guess would be he didnt gain anything much after being drafted but thats an educated guess.

This came up regarding Hines estimate that Begg has grown 3cm since arriving at the club. Even more unlikely since he arrived the year after his TAC cup year and has just turned 19 and his TAC cup photos dont look like that late puberty kid.

THE TALL SMALL

Cripps' other unusual attribute was his height for an inside mid. He was then about 190 centimetres, having sprouted from the age of 15. "I was about 170-175 (centimetres) ... I was the smallest at my footy team and then probably 16 to 18 I shot up to about 190. And once I got to the club (Carlton), I grew another five centimetres.''

Cripps is the tallest bona-fide midfielder in the history of the game. On the field, he often stoops to conquer, since much of his game is played crouched over the ball, in a thicket of bodies. But when you stand next to him, his height is striking - exceeding that of many noted and imposing key forwards, including his sometime mentor Jonathan Brown (194).

As Cripps explained, he developed a small man's game, which he continued to play as he sprouted into a key-position body, having hit puberty late. "Everyone says 'you're big for a midfielder' but I felt like, I still feel like I've got all the traits of a small mid, just from growing up.'
I remember reading somewhere the av male adult strinks 2 to 3 cms during the day, mainly cartledge

I remember reading somewhere the av male adult strinks 2 to 3 cms during the day, mainly cartledge
I believe that was after swimming in cold water.

200.gif

[

THE TALL SMALL

I don’t know what else I can say other than TD’s Moore example is not isolated. A few examples of growth post U18 I found from a quick google search were J Cameron 192>196, Allen 191>194, Gawn 206>208, A Pearce 198>201, Young 198>201 and Walker 192>194. There was also Corey Gault who grew 20 odd cm’s at a similar age to Cripps.

I know clubs are loose with it, but as I said the number of players that indiscriminately grow a few cm’s post 16 doesn’t align with the medical data. I’m not coming down on either side of it in regards to whether Hine’s comments were factual or not and would only say with confidence that Begg will be listed at 201cm by mid career regardless of whether he’s grown or not.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[

I don’t know what else I can say other than TD’s Moore example is not isolated. A few examples of growth post U18 I found from a quick google search were J Cameron 192>196, Allen 191>194, Gawn 206>208, A Pearce 198>201, Young 198>201 and Walker 192>194. There was also Corey Gault who grew 20 odd cm’s at a similar age to Cripps.

I know clubs are loose with it, but as I said the number of players that indiscriminately grow a few cm’s post 16 doesn’t align with the medical data. I’m not coming down on either side of it in regards to whether Hine’s comments were factual or not and would only say with confidence that Begg will be listed at 201cm by mid career regardless of whether he’s grown or not.
There will no doubt be real examples. They will be the exceptions. I have just googled articles on Cameron and Gawn. Cameron was drafted as a 17 yo so makes him a more likely candidate and I found a BF thread where it was discussed Gawn had been playing KP but then had a growth spurt late to move to the ruck. Looking at his draft photos with Stynes he still looks like a kid albeit 206cm. So he fits the picture. Corey Gault for sure as he was a documented Cripps like story. Those 2 are classic late liberties and will be the ones who gain 5 cm after 18.

Haven’t looked at your other examples. I think we agree some will be real and some tape measure fantasy. I don’t doubt that Begg will end up with the 200cm next to his name. Being recruited as he was getting close to 19 and looking at his photos he isn’t going to be one of the ones who truly put on cms in his 18th year is my estimate.

Initial aim I had in this posting was to point out where height growth comes by age and that most are done by 16.

I know I was done height wise at about 14. Was full back in the school footy team early days then began the drift to HFF to wing/rover. Scarred perhaps by watching those squeaky voices kids catch and go past me. Final ignominy was the year 12 athletics team photo that was arranged by height. I was surrounded by the year 9s.

There will no doubt be real examples. They will be the exceptions. I have just googled articles on Cameron and Gawn. Cameron was drafted as a 17 yo so makes him a more likely candidate and I found a BF thread where it was discussed Gawn had been playing KP but then had a growth spurt late to move to the ruck. Looking at his draft photos with Stynes he still looks like a kid albeit 206cm. So he fits the picture. Corey Gault for sure as he was a documented Cripps like story. Those 2 are classic late liberties and will be the ones who gain 5 cm after 18.

Haven’t looked at your other examples. I think we agree some will be real and some tape measure fantasy. I don’t doubt that Begg will end up with the 200cm next to his name. Being recruited as he was getting close to 19 and looking at his photos he isn’t going to be one of the ones who truly put on cms in his 18th year is my estimate.

Initial aim I had in this posting was to point out where height growth comes by age and that most are done by 16.

I know I was done height wise at about 14. Was full back in the school footy team early days then began the drift to HFF to wing/rover. Scarred perhaps by watching those squeaky voices kids catch and go past me. Final ignominy was the year 12 athletics team photo that was arranged by height. I was surrounded by the year 9s.

I grew about 2-3cm from 16 to 18.

I know a few mates who went from about 180cmish to 195/6cm between 16 and 18. Brent Staker being one of them.

Whilst it seems counter-intuitive that a higher percentage of draftees than the normal population would be not fully grown. But perhaps it's to do with higher levels of growth hormone that they probably have naturally and also increase through intense training.

Or perhaps measurements are just dodgy.

Whilst it seems counter-intuitive that a higher percentage of draftees than the normal population would be not fully grown. But perhaps it's to do with higher levels of growth hormone that they probably have naturally and also increase through intense training.

Or perhaps measurements are just dodgy.
Height has become a premium stat in recruiters 'wants'

I don't think Hine saying he believes Begg is now 200cm should be dismissed so easily.
He's a man of few words, and it would be embarrassing to be proven wrong, by a simple tape measure.

I grew about 2-3cm from 16 to 18.

I know a few mates who went from about 180cmish to 195/6cm between 16 and 18. Brent Staker being one of them.
Which puts you likely right in the average. It’s dictated by when you go through puberty. The growth spurt we have is accelerated early and tails off at the end to give the last cms. It’s not linear.

If you were 2-3 cm taller when you turned 18 compared to when you turned 16 we can fairly safely assume you got the last 2-3 cm in you 16th year. The main part of your growth spurt had come pre 16 and you topped up the final bit while 16.

During that year the growth plates in your long bones would have fused and once that happens you can’t get any more cms. No one sits around say 197 cm for a year or so and then has another bit of growth, you don’t have a static year and then grow again.

The kids including Staker, Cripps and Gault (maybe it’s the WA air) who do the 15-20 cm from 16-18 are the late puberties. They are the group that will get a few extra cms after they turn 18.

If Loki04 had been called out on draft night, with getting your last 2-3 cm between 16 and 18, you would have arrived at your club in October/Nov somewhere between 17y 10m to 18y 10m at full height. No cms to be gained.

Which puts you likely right in the average. It’s dictated by when you go through puberty. The growth spurt we have is accelerated early and tails off at the end to give the last cms. It’s not linear.

If you were 2-3 cm taller when you turned 18 compared to when you turned 16 we can fairly safely assume you got the last 2-3 cm in you 16th year. The main part of your growth spurt had come pre 16 and you topped up the final bit while 16.

During that year the growth plates in your long bones would have fused and once that happens you can’t get any more cms. No one sits around say 197 cm for a year or so and then has another bit of growth, you don’t have a static year and then grow again.

The kids including Staker, Cripps and Gault (maybe it’s the WA air) who do the 15-20 cm from 16-18 are the late puberties. They are the group that will get a few extra cms after they turn 18.

If Loki04 had been called out on draft night, with getting your last 2-3 cm between 16 and 18, you would have arrived at your club in October/Nov somewhere between 17y 10m to 18y 10m at full height. No cms to be gained.

Brent grew up in Broken Hill but sprouted when he went to ACT and played in the rams team.

My cousin also shot up similarly to Brent after going to Townsville from the Hill at a similar age and height, interesting coincidence anyway. Thought they must of slept in manure every night (jk), as they both easily grew 10 to 13cm.

It's obvious our recruiters need to employ a puberty test.
"Those with 'bush' please take a step back"

Height has become a premium stat in recruiters 'wants'
And look at all the 'short people'. Now, you can be 211cm but that does not transpire to being the best AFL player. Caleb Daniel was arguably the best player for the Bulldogs. Very least, he was top three. Daniel does not have the premium stat of height and is an example of why your vertical measurement is a poor measurement of talent.

And look at all the 'short people'. Now, you can be 211cm but that does not transpire to being the best AFL player. Caleb Daniel was arguably the best player for the Bulldogs. Very least, he was top three. Daniel does not have the premium stat of height and is an example of why your vertical measurement is a poor measurement of talent.
Not my premium - I said recruiters premium - it's an obsession with height league wide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back