The McGovern conundrum

What comes to mind when someone says ‘McGovern’

• Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer the hardworking JSoS.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer McGovern as he has the 3xtra gear when fit.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Can play with JSoS, CC and Harry. I don’t believe that is too tall, and to hell with def tackling.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • I see McGovern as a third tall defender. Ahead of Plowman, Kemp and Marchbank.

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • I don’t see McGovern as having the hardness, determination and concentration of a defender.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I rate Mcgoverns speed and kicking and just want him in the 22.

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • I see McGovern’s lack of commitment and feel he should prove himself fwd or back in the VFL.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • How dare you insinuate anything negative about our player (provided for the believers/derailers)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
please god he gives that puerile pinky finger gesture away as a goal celebration - idiotic & cringe-worthy - just the goals, rinse, repeat, all that's required.....
This. I get embarrassed on his behalf everytime I see it.
3 claps, 1 high five and a brisk jog back to position is more than sufficient at his output. Nothing more, period.
Kick bags of six and win games of your own boot, you can carry on like a pork chop till your heart's content. Until then just stop with pinky nonsense god damn it.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
McGovern over his career averages 13 games a season and 10 possessions. It just illustrates an underwhelming history.

Some are getting carried away by those 5 minute bursts which are good.
I have been careful of late not to get too high or too low, opinion wise (other than some Covid concerns) and avoid polarising comments, but can’t help but be impressed by the forthright post. Time for a rant.

I was amazed we traded so much draft collateral for him and even more amazed when details of the deal leaked. I get our recruiters we’re frustrated at our inability to land a big fish, but with our young developing players it was ridiculous overkill to expend that much on potential and a highlight reel. Two more years is bloody hard to accept and he is probably the one player on our list that I have a “real problem” with.

Clearly his mate Teaguey played a big part and even before getting the head gig was a one man publicity machine. Talk of smarts, selflessness and superior skills were so over the top. Has never played a match for us that amounted to much more than a quarter of maximum output. He was treated like a star and never gave more than a glimpse. I am over the apologists lamenting his injury woes, “poor Gov”. Has never had the tank to do his job, his injuries are due to lack of preparation. He is not capable of a simple chase without doing himself an injury.

The bloke is talented, I will stop short of calling for his head, so to speak. He has the tools, he has the athleticism and the ability to be a huge “piece of the puzzle”. I am thinking, he has the realisation from significant negative press that he is one step from the scrap heap. We have a new regime and half hearted commitment will not be tolerated. It is now or never and here is hoping the bloke has the pride and good old fashioned guts to silence we naysayers. Jack Russell should be his best mate for the next few months if he is to have any hope.

At the moment I view Gov as I did the talented, spectacular country forward who rolls up to training once a week, goes out before the serious training starts when the boys are playing kick to kick from the arc to the goal square. The bloke sitting on the heads of the kids or the short people when he is not holding court leading the gossip/banter. Haven’t been to a training session for decades, sorry if this was not the norm during your times. Players usually arrived in dribs and drabs over about an hour before training proper started. Jog a lap or two, maybe a couple of stretches if they were lucky. The same bloke would usually be seen riding the boundary or the changing sheds when the serious training started after having put in an appearance. Kick a few snags on Saturday arvo on a good day and cop all of the pats on the back.

In my opinion he starts the season behind JSOS for the role they have split. Jack is heart and soul and has plenty of strings to his bow. Jack has perhaps been our premier forward pressure player for the last few years. He is starting to hold some marks and command a starting position. We are likely to play tandem rucks, at least at the start of the season, not leaving the option of two “third tall” types. We will play a dramatically improved pressure game forward of centre, so poor commitment will not be tolerated. I wish Gov well in forcing his way in to a spot, in no way do I regard him as “the incumbent”.

Last edited:

3rd Grade Maggy

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2004
In the Finals ...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Southampton
This. I get embarrassed on his behalf everytime I see it.
3 claps, 1 high five and a brisk jog back to position is more than sufficient at his output. Nothing more, period.
Kick bags of six and win games of your own boot, you can carry on like a pork chop till your heart's content. Until then just stop with pinky nonsense god damn it.
Is it just something he does with Zac Fisher?

If so, fish can concentrate on his own game and leave the hollywood s**t to me and sam walsh...........

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
McGovern divides most of us on here. Multiple options may appeal but this gives us all a view as to what is our initial reaction to the name McGovern Across the posters on this board.

Feel free to get very defensive on this guy. I like his 5 minutes bursts but I feel he lacks commitment and hard work. JSoS every single second and minute of the week.

Dont want to carry him as a 4th tall as prefer the tackling grunt of the smallls. My fwd line has Harry, CC and JSoS. I even prefer Martins marking over Mcgoverns.

That is all I got.
I do not like your 7 options.
He has failed up forward. Kicks well for goal but simply does not get the ball often enough and many of time he not with ball, he doing nothing else either.
It really is backline or bust for him at this stage of his career.
I do not see McGovern as a third tall defender. Certainly would back an injury free Marchbank to be better bet, but Marchy still injured so I got no issue with trying McGovern down back. I do not have him ahead of Kemp , but Kemp will probably end up further up ground anyway, in time , so there still a chance of McGovern down back at some point. He just needs to learn to play defence like Jones did in the magoos and do it consistently. Jones has his flaws but his overall strengths outweigh them, that he found a spot for himself as a key defender.
I do not see why McGovern could not turn himself into a good intercept defender if he applies himself. But he going to have to earn his spot.
Throw him forward for 5 minutes here and there in season if a tall injured up there would probably see him make more of short stints there like a rare swingman. But he never going to make it as a permanent forward. He already shown that. It over to McGov to work his ass off and find a role down back.

The forward line itself is already sorted for mine with Charlie back from injury. You got Harry, Charlie and Jack Silvagni there as the three taller options , then you got Jack Martin as the tricky type that medium sized and the other two spots for smalls which probably going to be Honey and Durdin with Owies trying to grab a spot before Durdin. TDK will be down there for small stints too when not rucking so forward line looks in a good state if can have less injuries in 2022.

I wish McGovern well down back. I just want him to earn a spot and give back to the club for the time he been on our list and not delivered until now.
Still time for him to do it.

Justnetime

Team Captain
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I do not like your 7 options.
He has failed up forward. Kicks well for goal but simply does not get the ball often enough and many of time he not with ball, he doing nothing else either.
It really is backline or bust for him at this stage of his career.
I do not see McGovern as a third tall defender. Certainly would back an injury free Marchbank to be better bet, but Marchy still injured so I got no issue with trying McGovern down back. I do not have him ahead of Kemp , but Kemp will probably end up further up ground anyway, in time , so there still a chance of McGovern down back at some point. He just needs to learn to play defence like Jones did in the magoos and do it consistently. Jones has his flaws but his overall strengths outweigh them, that he found a spot for himself as a key defender.
I do not see why McGovern could not turn himself into a good intercept defender if he applies himself. But he going to have to earn his spot.
Throw him forward for 5 minutes here and there in season if a tall injured up there would probably see him make more of short stints there like a rare swingman. But he never going to make it as a permanent forward. He already shown that. It over to McGov to work his ass off and find a role down back.

The forward line itself is already sorted for mine with Charlie back from injury. You got Harry, Charlie and Jack Silvagni there as the three taller options , then you got Jack Martin as the tricky type that medium sized and the other two spots for smalls which probably going to be Honey and Durdin with Owies trying to grab a spot before Durdin. TDK will be down there for small stints too when not rucking so forward line looks in a good state if can have less injuries in 2022.

I wish McGovern well down back. I just want him to earn a spot and give back to the club for the time he been on our list and not delivered until now.
Still time for him to do it.

Given you only see him as an intercept defender and have Marchbank ahead of him, and Kemp, then why not select the option of him going to the VFL and proving himself back or fwd? I think that option caters for your overall statement. It does miss the word intercept but covers everything else in theory.

I think there is an overriding opinion on here that he needs to prove something. Daisy dug deep on his big contract and earned back some basic respect. Let’s see if McGovern can do similar. I personally think he will put in a very big year this year as it gives him options Contract-wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Les Grossman playaaaa

Senior List
Jun 21, 2021
Hollywood
AFL Club
Carlton
If so, fish can concentrate on his own game and leave the hollywood sh*t to me and sam walsh...........

1636527525579.png

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I think the previous coaches have rushed him back into our first side way to early in the past. He’s barely had time to get his touch back in the twos, then been put into the seniors. Some players you can do that to, I don’t think McG is one of them and it has probably affected his confidence.

I reckon he will be the clubs next Daisy Thomas, after a rough start, he comes good and gives us a few good years. He’s a father now, I think that grounds most people and hopefully gets him to really put in some dedication to his profession and team.
I certainly hope so…

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Agree no doubt there will be a squeeze this year - so many coming out of contract, list spots & cash is going to be an issue.

Important year for Marchbank, Cunningham, Dow, Kennedy + Walsh's contract
2023 will have McKay, Charlie, Jack, Plowman as restricted free agents.

Will have no choice but to hit the draft next 2-3 years, I reckon
Lucky we rebuilt to, not make the finals, then have to stock up with draft picks to cover or cap explosion for players who haven’t played a final. Just wow.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Really? Not sure much evidence of this exists. Potentially maybe, factually no. GOS has him covered.
McGovern has Jack covered in goals, goal assists, marks inside f50, inside 50s, contested marks, 1 percenters and score involvements.
That McGovern is seen as lazy, despite the statistical advantage further drives home this point .
Jack is more of a general utility than anything.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
McGovern has Jack covered in goals, goal assists, marks inside f50, inside 50s, contested marks, 1 percenters and score involvements.
That McGovern is seen as lazy, despite the statistical advantage further drives home this point .
Jack is more of a general utility than anything.
Is that McGoverns stats since being at Carlton? He hasn’t shown as much impact as I feel Jack has over the past 3 years.

Back