Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

You must house share with Xtreme. :p
In all seriousness,isn't that thinking from our good friend Mr. Kennett 4 years ago, what has put them in the position they are today
:think:
Why are you here?

You must house share with Xtreme. :p
In all seriousness,isn't that thinking from our good friend Mr. Kennett 4 years ago, what has put them in the position they are today
:think:

Hang on. Thinking you can win the flag every year you start the season and then subsequently not winning it for various reasons. What’s the problem with that. You can’t win the flag every year you set out. Where’s your logic? Just don’t try or don’t be ambitious. You might as well fold as a professional club with never entertaining the idea to win.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why are you here?
Fair point SYL . Though this is not a no opposition supporter site. And personally I think its a very interesting discussion with the events of the past few months at your club and the present situation with your administration.
But that was a genuine question. Would you be more comfortable or at least ok with my viewpoints on this discussion if I supported the Hawks

Hang on. Thinking you can win the flag every year you start the season and then subsequently not winning it for various reasons. What’s the problem with that. You can’t win the flag every year you set out. Where’s your logic? Just don’t try or don’t be ambitious. You might as well fold as a professional club with never entertaining the idea to win.

Thinking it is fine. It’s when it dominates list planning. If you believe you are closer than you realistically are, you risk blowing the list and ending in no mans land. See Saints last year for a prime example

Thinking it is fine. It’s when it dominates list planning. If you believe you are closer than you realistically are, you risk blowing the list and ending in no mans land. See Saints last year for a prime example

correct . Saints took their eyes off the ball . Some might say they've never had it on it. ;)

Thinking you can win the flag is fine. And yes not entertaining the idea to win and tanking for picks which Melbourne did was a blight on the game which the system did encourage somewhat.
But the Hawks under Clarko and Kennett put that thought into action via list management trading and drafting. It was a deliberate strategy which thought the equalisation laws of the AFL could be overcome or at the very least side-stepped.
And that takes you to where you are now . And I'm not a Kennett fan [ far from it] but his turn around in hosing down aims and expectations from 4 years ago has been quite dramatic!!

On the basis of your presidents comments
, I have entertained some banter and bi-play with Xtreme about him hoping for the premiership next year and Steve Tyler who said we'll win the flag in 3 years . I'm not trying to be rude or speak for these guys , but I took it they were joking :think:And I also took it most Hawkers would think the same. :think:

correct . Saints took their eyes off the ball . Some might say they've never had it on it. ;)

Thinking you can win the flag is fine. And yes not entertaining the idea to win and tanking for picks which Melbourne did was a blight on the game which the system did encourage somewhat.
But the Hawks under Clarko and Kennett put that thought into action via list management trading and drafting. It was a deliberate strategy which thought the equalisation laws of the AFL could be overcome or at the very least side-stepped.
And that takes you to where you are now . And I'm not a Kennett fan [ far from it] but his turn around in hosing down aims and expectations from 4 years ago has been quite dramatic!!

On the basis of your presidents comments
, I have entertained some banter and bi-play with Xtreme about him hoping for the premiership next year and Steve Tyler who said we'll win the flag in 3 years . I'm not trying to be rude or speak for these guys , but I took it they were joking :think:And I also took it most Hawkers would think the same. :think:

How do you know where the Hawks will be in three years. How do you know what most Hawkers think? … and if we cannot win the flag within three years?? You have lots of predictions? Do you work within confines of the club? I’ll leave 2008 flag on your doorstep and did people predict it would happen at the start of 2005? ….. what are you actually trying to achieve in the forum… HOSING down our expectations in the next 5 or 10 years? Please do tell me.

Fair point SYL . Though this is not a no opposition supporter site. And personally I think its a very interesting discussion with the events of the past few months at your club and the present situation with your administration.
But that was a genuine question. Would you be more comfortable or at least ok with my viewpoints on this discussion if I supported the Hawks
I'd be more comfortable if you took you faux interest back to the main board where you can troll your heart out.

Now Jack ....with 1 by 1 point in 123 years + 27 wooden ones, I don't think we really are overly attentive of your insights on the matter....thanks for the contribution in any case

But I think a return to finals in 3 years if things go really well is not outrageous . :thumbsu:
A return to the finals in 3 years?

We should be aiming, with modest improvement, to be in them or knocking on them.

That's not just us, that is the same for a raft of 3 or 4 teams.

The idea that teams improve their position one rung/win per year never actually happens...it's large improvements, and large drops, a lot of the time...

Last edited:

What is Clarko doing overseas?

Jon Ralph: OK Macca. What the hell is Clarko doing overseas and what are his odds of coaching Gold Coast in 2023?

Glenn McFarlane: He is on a study mission tour that will see him picking Steve Kerr’s brain at the Golden State Warriors and spending time with the Green Bay Packers. He is $1.01 to coach in 2023 and he’s probably $1.75 to coach Gold Coast if they struggle. I think Dewy needs 10 wins to guarantee his job. They have shown in the past they will pull the trigger on coaches, and if you have a coach who is the best of the modern era you are derelict in your duty not to look at him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m wondering if he fancies a future as an (international) sports strategist, if there is such a thing.

much less stress and there are mega dollars being invested out there
So you don’t know if that job exists but you do know it’s less stressful & better pay

ok

Clarko finding some greener pastures in his post-Hawthorn life.

Clarko finding some greener pastures in his post-Hawthorn life.
Personally think this would be huge step in the right direction in high performance sports and in recovery. Caveat by saying it is not for everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back