Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Bews, Tuohy, Hawkins, Selwood, Danger (he might be a nice guy, but pound for pound he’d be the strongest and most explosive).

I reckon Scott would have his way with Dangerfield. He would have tormented to the point Dangerfield would throw his arms up every time in the mercy of the umpire pleading for help.

Glenn Archer was similar. I even think as big and strong as what Hawkins is, Archer would have niggled and wouldn't stop every time we faced them.
Hawkins is a teddy bear. He certainly isn't soft but he doesn't have that killer gene inside of him. If he did, he'd have busted packs wide open on countless occasions but he is self aware.
Some players were tested very early on in their careers and they were quick to put an end to it.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon Scott would have his way with Dangerfield. He would have tormented to the point Dangerfield would throw his arms up every time in the mercy of the umpire pleading for help.

Glenn Archer was similar. I even think as big and strong as what Hawkins is, Archer would have niggled and wouldn't stop every time we faced them.
Hawkins is a teddy bear. He certainly isn't soft but he doesn't have that killer gene inside of him. If he did, he'd have busted packs wide open on countless occasions but he is self aware.
Some players were tested very early on in their careers and they were quick to put an end to it.

In my view one of the more phony 'tough guys' in footy history. Can't remember him ever legitimately hitting someone who saw him coming. Do remember him vividly hitting Cameron Thurley with a cheapshot (was on the ground and with his back turned) and duly got suspended.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
In my view one of the more phony 'tough guys' in footy history. Can't remember him ever legitimately hitting someone who saw him coming. Do remember him vividly hitting Cameron Thurley with a cheapshot (was on the ground and with his back turned) and duly got suspended.
Literally anyone can knock out anyone else if they don't see it coming.
Anyone can be a tough guy when there's an umpire and rules and noone can properly retaliate.
Who knows who could actually fight in footy or not?
I know Judd was doing MMA.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

Hawkins definitely has some sort of anger in him. How many suspensions has he had for hitting someone? He may not bust open packs anymore (and that really has to do with his concussion (in 2015?) and subsequent reluctance to jump. The guy is a beast, at the end of the day, size is a force multiplier and this applies to Danger as well (how many professional players has he cannoned into and floored?). Get either of them angry/threatened enough and there's an excellent chance that no matter how tough you are, you'd be picked up and dropped on your head.

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong

5-6 kicked on him in first half of 2007 QF.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Was that the match in which SJ lined him up on the boundary line and missed putting his head in the grandstand by half an inch when he turned at the last second?

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Well Archer in my view was a truly tough player. Arguably the most courageous of the modern era. Never took a backward step.
Even saw Barry Halll lose his s**t in a game when he played for the Saints and wanted to go on with it against Micky Martyn at the end of a quarter. Martyn was pretty eager to get off the ground and the only North player who was willing to come over and give support and have a crack was Archer. lol, he would have got ko'd but that was just the type of player he was. No fear.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Well Archer in my view was a truly tough player. Arguably the most courageous of the modern era. Never took a backward step.
Even saw Barry Halll lose his sh*t in a game when he played for the Saints and wanted to go on with it against Micky Martyn at the end of a quarter. Martyn was pretty eager to get off the ground and the only North player who was willing to come over and give support and have a crack was Archer. lol, he would have got ko'd but that was just the type of player he was. No fear.

Shows we see different things. I thought he was spectacularly, unbelievably overrated. The whole "Shinboner of the Century" garbage, the media acted like no other players did what he did when in really every team had (and has) them. Towards the end of his career he basically got more and more undisciplined, and perpetually whinged that he couldn't just belt players when he was getting thrashed.

Shows we see different things. I thought he was spectacularly, unbelievably overrated. The whole "Shinboner of the Century" garbage, the media acted like no other players did what he did when in really every team had (and has) them. Towards the end of his career he basically got more and more undisciplined, and perpetually whinged that he couldn't just belt players when he was getting thrashed.
I doubt you have seen ALL of NM games in which Archer played. There is good reason he is regarded as the player that epitomises the "shinboner spirit", and that he is well regarded as the toughest Roo ever. It was not a media title either. 6 x in 9 seasons, he was voted by the AFLPA as Most Courageous player in the comp- a record.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I doubt you have seen ALL of NM games in which Archer played. There is good reason he is regarded as the player that epitomises the "shinboner spirit", and that he is well regarded as the toughest Roo ever. It was not a media title either. 6 x in 9 seasons, he was voted by the AFLPA as Most Courageous player in the comp- a record.

That would make sense, given I haven't even seen all Geelong games (and I doubt anyone else has either).

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong

I can see your point.
I am speaking more about his earlier years when he was very much a driving force in helping them to win premierships. I think by the time he reached 30 years of age, injury had impacted his career. Really did play a crash and bash style of game. Surprised he even made it to 300 games. I think his era was even more taxing on the body than most.

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Was that the game Bomber put Chappy on him?

Took him back to the square as much as possible.
3 to Chapman
1 to Stokes
1 to Bartel (after Byrnes outmarked him)

Put his head over the pill but not sure of his pugilist talents. Like a few did, got a little cranky at the end of his career that led to some niggly efforts.

Col Hutchinson has never missed a Cats game since 1958
in b4 he missed one live when Covid started... watched it on TV .... but his live streak was broken sadly.

GO Catters

Back