Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

I never take calls in the gym, but admit I do check BF while I'm there ocasiinally. Also use the phone to record my workouts.
I prefer not to make my phone at all, but plenty of people do check their phone between sets (silently). Talking loudly into a headset while working out is a different situation altogether.

I never take calls in the gym, but admit I do check BF while I'm there ocasiinally. Also use the phone to record my workouts.
Yeh, these are fine by me (plenty have flagged their issues with people checking socials between sets) but for whatever reason everyone who seems comfortable speaking on the phone in public settings also seems to have no ability to speak at anything lower than a bogan screaming match level.

One thing that does annoy me - my gym is huge, yet there is no calf raise machine in there.
There's an abductor and adductor machine there, and a weird standing hamstring machine as well as a hamstring curl station, but no calf raise machine.

Yeah, that's poor form. It's pretty easy to give people space most of the time
On that topic, I used to train at a much smaller gym and I would squash in to the side of a group of mothers doing their "group workout" to do my stuff in the open area and I always felt awkward being so close to them, but never got any complaints. If there's plenty of space, I'll always leave it and hope others do the same.

The gym was full of campaigners on Monday during peak arvo unlike the week previous. Was good to see. On the topic of this thread, a guy was using the pin-loaded leg-press and was locking it out at full extension every rep and then letting it slam back onto the plates... fully wtf. Luckily he was only lifting 70kg haha

One thing that does annoy me - my gym is huge, yet there is no calf raise machine in there.
There's an abductor and adductor machine there, and a weird standing hamstring machine as well as a hamstring curl station, but no calf raise machine.
You should definitely bring that up with the gym owner.

If they have a pin loaded leg press machine, you can usually adjust the seat part so that it is flat and do calf raises that way, having only your toes on the push plate if that makes sense. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Otherwise, if they have a smith machine, you can put the foam padding on the bar and do a seated version with your toes resting on a weight plate on the floor. Again not ideal - but better than nothing.

If they have a pin loaded leg press machine, you can usually adjust the seat part so that it is flat and do calf raises that way, having only your toes on the push plate if that makes sense. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Otherwise, if they have a smith machine, you can put the foam padding on the bar and do a seated version with your toes resting on a weight plate on the floor. Again not ideal - but better than nothing.
Yeah I'm doing standing single-leg calf raises on a step, I've found that seated raises hit the soleus & lateral heads much better though.

my "base" gym didn't let me in this evening (something to do with the lost fob, I'd suspect)...

Went to another one nearby (advantages of Anytime Fitness, I guess) and got in no worries... both showed as "visits" in the app; weird....

Went to a 3rd gym and got in and did my workout without issues. *shrug*...
Tried to go the gym last night and same problem as the base gym again... Tried the same one I got my workout done the previous Friday and no luck this time... went to 3rd one in the region (not the same one I had the issues with the owner as I'm never going back there) and the same problem occurred. Really frustrating problem. Worst part is I got in on Wednesday at the same one as the previous Wednesday no worries... so colour me confused as to what's consistent in this stuff. Had to do a shitty at-home workout as it was rainy AF so the outdoor workout wasn't do-able without too much slipping and discomfort.

Will have to go in when the staff are in next (Monday) to sort out this access problem as I can't have it keep happening... One ruined workout is more than enough...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tried to go the gym last night and same problem as the base gym again... Tried the same one I got my workout done the previous Friday and no luck this time... went to 3rd one in the region (not the same one I had the issues with the owner as I'm never going back there) and the same problem occurred. Really frustrating problem. Worst part is I got in on Wednesday at the same one as the previous Wednesday no worries... so colour me confused as to what's consistent in this stuff. Had to do a shitty at-home workout as it was rainy AF so the outdoor workout wasn't do-able without too much slipping and discomfort.

Will have to go in when the staff are in next (Monday) to sort out this access problem as I can't have it keep happening... One ruined workout is more than enough...
I went to AF today around lunch time, fob worked as usual. Went again around 7pm and there's a guy waiting outside the door, wants me to let him in with me as his fob isn't working, and then my fob doesn't work. Only one out of the next four people were able to let themselves in 🤷‍♂️

I went to AF today around lunch time, fob worked as usual. Went again around 7pm and there's a guy waiting outside the door, wants me to let him in with me as his fob isn't working, and then my fob doesn't work. Only one out of the next four people were able to let themselves in 🤷‍♂️
Yikes... I guess it's not just me with weird vax cert v fob issues... or at least fob issues.

For anyone still interested the gym owner responded for the first time since this s**t show started over the weekend (he is obligated to provide points of defence to the claim which must be issued to me and VCAT prior to the hearing).

Hes absolutely cooked, none of his defense points are related to the contract dispute and he bangs on and on about the gym closing due to the state mandated legislation (not their choice).

Ive already drafted my response which will be delivered at the hearing and hes properly ****ed.

Seems like people are getting back into it, around 30 people in the gym after work, albeit peak hour, it's the most I've seen in an AF

Same at my AF this afternoon, plenty of campaigners up and about; good to see.

This time they said they've sorted out my fob issue with a reasonable explanation as to the cause... we'll see.

You should definitely bring that up with the gym owner.
So late Friday arvo the girl who signed me up sent me a few messages to ask how I was settling in, I mentioned this to her as well as the lack of scales. Everything else is really good though so no real complaints.

Someone stole the scales at my last gym one day so I'm wondering if that happened here.

So late Friday arvo the girl who signed me up sent me a few messages to ask how I was settling in, I mentioned this to her as well as the lack of scales. Everything else is really good though so no real complaints.

Someone stole the scales at my last gym one day so I'm wondering if that happened here.
Good to hear you've brought it up. Hopefully they adhere to your request :)

wtf, who steals scales... they're so cheap and basically valueless.

For anyone still interested the gym owner responded for the first time since this sh*t show started over the weekend (he is obligated to provide points of defence to the claim which must be issued to me and VCAT prior to the hearing).

Hes absolutely cooked, none of his defense points are related to the contract dispute and he bangs on and on about the gym closing due to the state mandated legislation (not their choice).

Ive already drafted my response which will be delivered at the hearing and hes properly f’ed.

I'm assuming there were costs involved in all this at your end.

Will he have to cover those and refund you the original gym membership amount if you win the dispute??? If so, how much will that be all up?

I'm assuming there were costs involved in all this at your end.

Will he have to cover those and refund you the original gym membership amount if you win the dispute??? If so, how much will that be all up?
Yeh lodgement, asic search and postage are part of my claim.

All up it’s circa $400 ultimately Vcat can determine what they will have to pay but given the evidence I’ve got of my willingness to discuss and negotiate Id be suprised if I didn’t get the full whack.

Yeh lodgement, asic search and postage are part of my claim.

All up it’s circa $400 ultimately Vcat can determine what they will have to pay but given the evidence I’ve got of my willingness to discuss and negotiate Id be suprised if I didn’t get the full whack.

You know what you should do if/when you win..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back