Mature Age Mature Age Prospects 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't be the first time a manager has got something wrong, The wording in the AFL rulebook says that he isn't a DFA

There must be an amendment floating somewhere that can put this to bed?

AFL just confirmed DFA qualify from previous years.

Sam Skinner signed,

Yeah they have a different set of rules for for Schlenslog and Skinner
Well one was a Cat B and one wasn't so perhaps? Don't you think it's a bit odd he's being hyped up as one of the best mature age options available and a potential steal in the upcoming draft, yet it seems no one is willing to take him right now for nothing but the cost of a list spot?

Well one was a Cat B and one wasn't so perhaps? Don't you think it's a bit odd he's being hyped up as one of the best mature age options available and a potential steal in the upcoming draft, yet it seems no one is willing to take him right now for nothing but the cost of a list spot?

Not really no, he was also in terrific form and available in the mid season draft and no one took him.

Lists are tight for a lot of clubs and they are probably working around ways they can fit everyone in.

Whoever ends up with him might wait until they see how their list looks after the draft.

Apparently didn't nominate for the draft?

Seems either he didn't get any interest in a list spot and decided on WAFL or has already made arrangements to join somewhere via SSP
If he's been delisted previously then I think he'd be DFA (primary list) and SSP (rookie list) eligible without needing to nominate for the draft, same as Sam Skinner/Paddy McCartin? Nominating for the draft could land you somewhere you don't want to go, although if you want it badly enough...

If he's been delisted previously then I think he'd be DFA (primary list) and SSP (rookie list) eligible without needing to nominate for the draft, same as Sam Skinner/Paddy McCartin? Nominating for the draft could land you somewhere you don't want to go, although if you want it badly enough...
Yeah he's eligible, just thinking it means he's going his landing spot wherever that might be

I think it does mean he can go straight to the SSP without nominating for ND. Assuming he has an agreement with a club to take him in the SSP.

Apart from Podsiadly, how many of these have success stories?

Richmond need KPF depth so wouldn't be the worst mature age pick ups, but clubs seem reluctant as obviously these guys must have some reasonable flaws or limitations.
Tim Kelly. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. There's lots of examples though they don't usually win Brownlows, Kelly is a bit of an outlier.

More often you'd be looking at like Mitch Brown at Melbourne, originally a first round pick at Geelong, delisted due to injury, redrafted to Essendon, delisted again, then an SSP signing at a third club. 76 games at age 31.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from Podsiadly, how many of these have success stories?

Richmond need KPF depth so wouldn't be the worst mature age pick ups, but clubs seem reluctant as obviously these guys must have some reasonable flaws or limitations.
Tim Kelly. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. There's lots of examples though they don't usually win Brownlows, Kelly is a bit of an outlier.
There's also Oscar McInerney, Fritsch and Hind.

Except Keitel doesn't have the professionalism to make it at afl level. He'd rather be a star in the WAFL and work his job rather than maybe making it as a rookie pick and having to move across the country.

Which is a pity if true as he has all the ability to be an afl level kpf in my opinion.

I'm talking about KPFs. That sort of player tends to come from decent draft picks not bargain picks.
Oscar did perfectly fine as a KPF before becoming a full-time ruck. I would also point to Marcus Adams as a KPD. Ben Brown, Aliir Aliir and Mitch McGovern were all overlooked in their draft years too.

It's interesting some mention kicking goals as not being as important as other things as a key forward. I understand the sentiment in that if you can't add some defensive pressure, tackle, aren't athletic enough etc, you won't make it in the AFL. But if you can't kick goals and lots of them as a KPF you won't either.

Hammelmann has played 46 games (from what I could work out) of second tier footy since being delisted for 168 goals. That's 3.65 goals a game over the last few years. If you want to pull the whole NEAFL sucks argument then that's fine. In the VFL he averages 4.2 goals a game :) The other guys mentioned including McBean and Keitel etc are a bit below that statistically to be fair. As were guys like Mihocek and Corbett (considerably so) before they were taken as mature age KPF's.

I hope he gets another crack. I think North could be a decent fit. Could also be a chance for Adelaide, Freo, Essendon, Geelong, Hawks or Richmond. I'm surprised the GC hasn't had a crack at him tbh. They have tried bringing in a few mature age talls in recent years and have again in Chol and likely Casbault as well.
If a player was putting those numbers in the reserves they'd be selected the following week.

Surely he'd be a good chance go get picked up by the blues in the SSP?

Or are we deadset banking on, Young, McGovern, Oscar Mac or Marchnank making it there own?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back