King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Interesting to see which club GWS fans view as being their biggest rival and why.

Swans for obvious reasons

Thought about voting for the dogs, but I could never vote for the dogs for anything. Their fans are ar$eholes in the biggest possible way, and I don’t think much of their players - but in terms of “rivalry“ - it’s the cross-town one that counts.

It‘s a rivalry, not a hatred or contempt.

Rivalry requires some level of respect (however begrudging).

I agree it is swans, just as everybody's else's, it is a team in their own state.

Before GWS existed , Swans played Brisbane twice a year but I don't know if they were rivals as such.

• Banned
Swans. Competing for TV eyes, bums on seats, media coverage in Sydney/NSW. Plus some bloody great tussles on field - especially when we have the wood on them in finals (to date).

Swans vs GWS feels like Adelaide vs Port Adelaide.

There's genuine hate and bad blood between each side and much more than a generic cross town rivalry.

Swans vs GWS feels like Adelaide vs Port Adelaide.

There's genuine hate and bad blood between each side and much more than a generic cross town rivalry.
I don't think hatred, at least not like port who thought they should as the most successful sanfl club be admitted in 1991 rather than the crows being created.

I personally don't hate swans, like them both.

Definitely Bulldogs.

Almost every Swans fan I know has GWS as their second team, on the basis that it's better to see another Sydney team winning than a Victorian or other interstate team. Honestly the whole rivalry with the Swans thing seems entirely manufactured and based on nothing other than the fact that we're in the same state. Swans fans that I've met have always been very supportive of the Giants.

Contrast that with Bulldogs supporters who think we're a team of thugs and criminals, who hate our collective guts, think we have a terrible culture and would love nothing more than too see us removed from the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was torn between the Dogs and Swans.
I landed on Dogs, just.
I feel that their is a genuine animosity between the 2 clubs.
The Swans the rivalry is real, but a lot of times I feel that we are in it together a lot. Like many fans, I was kinda of a Swans fan pre Giants (but wasnt fully into it like I am now), so I still like to see the swans do well.

Back