No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Kornes has pretty much admitted on twitter he likes winding up Carlton fans, I tend to take any criticisms or cheap shots at us with a grain of salt.

Least he admitted he was wrong about Sam Walsh.

The SA slowdowns are probably my most looked forward to non Carlton and finals games every season, even when either or both teams are struggling on the ladder, most of the matches are just so spiteful, intense with players from both sides going hammer and tongs.

Probably part of being in a two team state, I do feel like those type of derbies mean more to players of SA (and WA) clubs than traditional Vic club players and their rivalry these days, although I think The Dees and Dogs players seem to be building a mutual dislike of each other :)
Elmer, you are an example of recency bias in action.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Sam Walsh gave kane no choice but to admit he was so wrong..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Sam Walsh gave kane no choice but to admit he was so wrong..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think some of us underestimate the type of person and player Sam Walsh is if we assume that he was annoyed by Kornes' initial comments and disrespectful comments about him in his first season

Walsh is probably the most mature and stoic and unsung by critics and or all trolls young man and player I have ever seen (not just at Carlton either)

And by no means am I saying he is arrogant or emotionally detached or aloof (which may seem the case by people unaffected by stinging if not unfair criticism or cheap shots) but more so that he is such a consumate professional, only focused to better himself and the team, and don't get bogged down by negative comments or posts, esp in today's toxic world of social media.

I am 41 years old, not quite an old fart yet (but getting there) but Walsh's absolute mental and emotional strength and consistency as a football I find truly truly remarkable

We are so lucky to have him at our footy club friends.

That he believes the Crows/Power rivalry is fiercer than ours with * pulls any sense from the article. It's about a century short for a kick-off.

I've been thinking about this since yesterday and I can't say that I'd agree when it comes to the Essendon and Carlton rivalry. Growing up the only rivalries I was aware of was against Collingwood and Richmond. The rivalry with Collingwood is really the only one that goes back as far as a century.

The Richmond rivalry was built in the 60s , it was a fierce rivalry but fizzled out around the mid 80's when Richmond became so bad.

From my memory, the Essendon rivalry was born at around the same time and was based more on Sheedy coaching them initially as he continued with his hatred of Carlton from his playing days at Richmond. Up to then, Essendon was never really relevant to me, was just another team that we consistently beat.

BigFooty recognises and supports your right to be wrong. My point was more generally around the actual period of existence of the clubs. Please don't cite SANFL stats.

I don't disagree with that part, the SANFL stats mean nothing at all, all I'm saying is that I don't recall any great rivalry with Essendon before then, maybe I was too focused, still am really. on hating Collingwood.

Les Grossman playaaaa

Senior List
Jun 21, 2021
Hollywood
AFL Club
Carlton
Saw the below on the AFL website. Best footy story I've seen in a while. Brought a tear to my eye and a massive smile to my face. I recommend everyone have a watch of it.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Meeting Dennis Armfield in a suit would’ve made my day. He was a gazelle and a very skilled and determined one .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Saw the below on the AFL website. Best footy story I've seen in a while. Brought a tear to my eye and a massive smile to my face. I recommend everyone have a watch of it.

Thank You for sharing this is why I love football and what it can do for the community.

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
beautiful work, m walters - inclusion - who knew it meant one gender............? mind boggling...........

You see an excellent story about inclusiveness for the mentally impaired and your take from it is where are the girls?

Not that this might just be the state boys team for the less fortunate who they decided to do something lovely for?

I think well done to M.Walters:clapping:.

I think you'll find the AFL does plenty for all minority groups and is one of the best sports in the world for inclusiveness and does seperate stories about them too,

this one just happened to be about the WA boys mentally handicapped team and well done to all involved.

Last edited:
I might be wrong - it happened before that one time - I see inclusion and I see one gender - that's not inclusion, that's the other gender waiting around until some authority (gee, guess who) decides they can play too - thought we were well past "they'll get theirs all in good time"..........I don't give a * what level of sport we are talking...........don't use the term inclusion if it isn't inclusive..........hoping someone will frack me with a video of the women's squad.....

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I might be wrong - it happened before that one time - I see inclusion and I see one gender - that's not inclusion, that's the other gender waiting around until some authority (gee, guess who) decides they can play too - thought we were well past "they'll get theirs all in good time"..........I don't give a fu** what level of sport we are talking...........don't use the term inclusion if it isn't inclusive..........hoping someone will frack me with a video of the women's squad.....

AFLW Homepage (womens.afl)

Head on over and check out all the stories about women playing our great game.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Unfortunately historical rivalries tend to come and go through and generations of supporters and players and eras of football.

I have read up quite a lot about the history and formation of the VFL and its clubs, and for.the first part major part of the league's existence, Collingwood's first most fierce and bitter rival was Fitzroy, and I am not sure if this is strictly true, but I think we had a rather hostile rivalry with South Melbourne too

I honestly think however Blues v Magpies will forever be an eternal rivalry that will always stand the test of time as certainly the greatest one of the VFL/AFL.esp as we played in so many memorable Grand finals right when TV and Grand Finals had started to be televised, eps not just in Victoria but nationwide.

Unfortunately historical rivalries tend to come and go through and generations of supporters and players and eras of football.

I have read up quite a lot about the history and formation of the VFL and its clubs, and for.the first part major part of the league's existence, Collingwood's first most fierce and bitter rival was Fitzroy, and I am not sure if this is strictly true, but I think we had a rather hostile rivalry with South Melbourne too

I honestly think however Blues v Magpies will forever be an eternal rivalry that will always stand the test of time as certainly the greatest one of the VFL/AFL.esp as we played in so many memorable Grand finals right when TV and Grand Finals had started to be televised, eps not just in Victoria but nationwide.

There have been many rivalries along the way but none has lasted as long as the Carlton vs Collingwood one has existed, it spans back 110 years at the very least.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
There have been many rivalries along the way but none has lasted as long as the Carlton vs Collingwood one has existed, it spans back 110 years at the very least.

Yes, I probably estimated took long a period of Pies v Roys, but the Fitroy and Collingwood rivalry was pretty intense, probably going back to the days when The Pies were known as Britannia ..

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't patronize me.

Well why find a negative towards a purely positive and uplifting story and be offended where there wasn't any evidence of intention in the matter it which you took offence.

As I have said to you many a time before in a few of our little tete a tetes your opinion is yours mine is mine (insert funny rapport of opinions are like assholes etcetcetc)

but to find offence in a great video about some mentally challenged young men I'm sorry it just wasn't necessary.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Genius, from a team lacking mature inside muscle, this is how you treat your only mature inside muscle. Great call, Suns.

30 at the start of next season and pretty banged up.
Easily replaceable player on less coin and younger via good scouting in the state leagues.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
North Melbourne have just broken an unauthorized agreement between clubs. Players delisted from the list and are guaranteed a position on the rookie list, won’t be drafted by other teams. Hmmmmm.........

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
North Melbourne have just broken an unauthorized agreement between clubs. Players delisted from the list and are guaranteed a position on the rookie list, won’t be drafted by other teams. Hmmmmm.........

He wasn't drafted.

Drafting a player, against their wishes, who is expecting to remain at their current club - poor form.

Calling a player who has been delisted and promised a rookie spot, offering them a better deal, and convincing them to sign as a DFA - cheeky, but no more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back