Fixture Season 2022 - Full AFL Fixture in OP

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Freo has never played Melbourne at Optus, and Collingwood hasn't played Sydney at the MCG since the Goodes incident. I'd like to see Melbourne come and play in Perth twice. It'd be fitting since they won the flag here this season.

A marquee game in Perth between a couple of Vic clubs would be nice.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why don't Sydney play away in round 1? If Franklin kicks 4... yeah, I guess if the game is on the line, you want him out there, preferably near the goals. But it'd be ironic if he doesn't kick 1000 until round two. Maybe Sydney could get 2 home games to start the season?
Both NSW teams rarely play at home in the same round, and GWS won't get a Sydney home game until very late if they don't get one in the first two rounds. Royal Easter Show and all that.

A marquee game in Perth between a couple of Vic clubs would be nice.

With the amount of footy the Victorian crowds have missed in the last two years, I don’t think they’ll be scheduling too much outside of the state over and above what they’re contractually obligated to.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We will probably play Brisbane at Marvel instead this year, so maybe Gold Coast and Adelaide in Ballarat this time?
I hope so. Whilst I get it's the Vic Clubs home game I think its unfair that tge Lions and Swans who have much bigger Melbourne support than the other interstate clubs and both have Melbourne backgrounds get shifted off to Ballarat Launceston etc

LuckyBounce!

All Australian
May 3, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
+ Port is also hoping for at least two games at the MCG, a venue it played at twice in 2021, notching wins over both Collingwood and Carlton.

+ Like many clubs after the past two interrupted seasons, the Magpies want to give their army of supporters the best chance of seeing the most football next year with a draw heavy on matches at the MCG.

+ Easter thurs for Bris/Pies.
+ Brisbane is also hoping to avoid a trip to Ballarat – where it has played the Western Bulldogs two of the past three seasons – in a play to get more matches in Melbourne in front of its Fitzroy fans.
+ Gold Coast has requested its game in Sir Doug Nicholls Round to be played in Darwin.

Other requests:

- North Melbourne is expected to again pitch for a Good Friday contest that it has staged since 2017

- Melbourne wants to start its season with a Grand Final rematch against the Western Bulldogs where it can unveil the premiership flag in front of its members

- Essendon is working on a single match to celebrate its 150th season, preferably against another Victorian club

- Greater Western Sydney wants at least two home matches before early April when it loses access to Giants Stadium for six weeks to accommodate Sydney's Easter Show. The Giants are also keen on at least one, and possibly two, Friday night games in Canberra.

- West Coast has asked for its home matches to be played on Saturday nights to accommodate its country members. The Eagles played five home games on Sunday afternoons and two on Monday nights in 2021.

- It has been reported Hawthorn has put in a request for its game on the Anzac Day weekend to be played in Launceston.

- Adelaide has asked for more games to be shown on free-to-air television.

- It has also been reported Sydney wants to start the season at the SCG with superstar forward Lance Franklin just five goals away from reaching the 1000 mark.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/687057/...anzac-day-will-it-be-a-good-friday-for-north-

Odds on St. Kilda will get Sydney in Sydney round one with Buddy to kick the 1,000th

I hope so. Whilst I get it's the Vic Clubs home game I think its unfair that tge Lions and Swans who have much bigger Melbourne support than the other interstate clubs and both have Melbourne backgrounds get shifted off to Ballarat Launceston etc

Agree with this, even tho the Bloods have a good record in Tas. I think the Essendon v North game in Tas produced a bumper crowd.

Evening up the fixture merits all the Melbourne based Clubs doing their 'tour of duty' to Tas and Ballarat.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought NRL had flexible fixturing or do they not so that anymore? Didn't they used to schedule games 6 weeks ahead (as in the times of the games not who plays who in each round)
Going back about 12 years they use to realise the times 5 weeks ahead. As a Storm member it was super annoying.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Both NSW teams rarely play at home in the same round, and GWS won't get a Sydney home game until very late if they don't get one in the first two rounds. Royal Easter Show and all that.
Rnd 1 GWS v Swans @ ANZ - perfect chance to return to ANZ with a bumper crowd.
Rnd 2 Swans v Hawks - likely 100th goal match.

GWS can’t host games at the Showground for basically rounds 3-8. Can just play home games at Canberra in that period but they want to host at the Showground for rounds 1 and 2, even though that seems like it’d cause headaches.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
A fai
Hawthorn hoping for 20 Sunday arvo matches, down from the 22 they had this year... :rolleyes:
a fair few more sundays needed to overtake the anchors.
As a vic member Sunday’s work because it’s the best chance to catch the game on the box.
I enjoy Saturday lunch games live in vic to.
But I’ve had to have pay tv for a long time and the players/ sponsors deserve to be on the nation stage more often for there hardwork and financial support.

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It use to be up to round 20, but hasn't been the case for a few years.
(and Demonic Ascent)

Back in the 2000's it was always releasing the draw the year before, then early in the new year the first five rounds came out, then there was usually 5-6 weeks known ahead of time with dribs and drabs updated on a regular basis

I think about a decade ago (2012 or 13), the networks compromised and allowed the first 20 rounds to be fixtured, and then got together with the NRL around July to fixture the remaining six rounds. That changed to a full draw release in 2016 from memory, which has remained the case since (with obvious COVID caveats the last couple of seasons).

Full season was released again this time around - aside from Origin, the NRL looks to have avoided Perth or Adelaide entirely, but is aiming to get the Warriors back across the Tasman by June (hopefully earlier).

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The women’s fixture is likely to come out in late November, followed by the AFL pre-season fixture.

The men’s home-and-away fixture will come in early December.

Clubs anticipate the AFL will schedule two official games in the pre-season community series, as it did last year.

Clubs only ended up playing one pre-season game as Covid issues forced travel to be minimised.

The AFL will be keen to get games back to regional and country settings after being forced to schedule all of last year’s Victorian games at Marvel Stadium to minimise Covid risks

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That at least makes sense though. The gifting of prime time to Carlton and Essendon is a different situation. Remember that season a few years back when Carlton got a shitload of prime time games and shat the bed?

Its hard to think of a year when they didnt s**t the bed.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree with this, even tho the Bloods have a good record in Tas. I think the Essendon v North game in Tas produced a bumper crowd.

Evening up the fixture merits all the Melbourne based Clubs doing their 'tour of duty' to Tas and Ballarat.
Essendon played Hawthorn in Tas not North.

Why don't Sydney play away in round 1? If Franklin kicks 4... yeah, I guess if the game is on the line, you want him out there, preferably near the goals. But it'd be ironic if he doesn't kick 1000 until round two. Maybe Sydney could get 2 home games to start the season?
Play Essendon at the SCG R1 and Hawthorn at the MCG R2. Best of both worlds. Giants in Sydney R3 for good measure.

Back