Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Still don't mind it. Milburn extremely lucky to make it, Lingy a bit high, Jnr a bit low.
But a decent list.
But I might just be happy someone else rates Scarlett as high as I do.

That's putting it extremely mildly. You could easily have him number 2 overall.

Of just the midfielders listed ahead of Ablett, I didn't see Goggin, but the only one I'd put even close to Ablett is Hocking. Even then I'd pick Ablett without blinking.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Spazz Cat .......I know you didnt see him, but take it from me...Farmer deserves his spot at #2...

That's another one where I trust the view of elders. When enough relatives and older fans all consistently say the same thing, it's more than just one person's opinion. Can't put him ahead of Ablett senior, but #2 is reasonable (coin toss between him and Ablett junior personally).

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
That's another one where I trust the view of elders. When enough relatives and older fans all consistently say the same thing, it's more than just one person's opinion. Can't put him ahead of Ablett senior, but #2 is reasonable (coin toss between him and Ablett junior personally).

He may have been even better as difficult as that may seem to believe.
They say we saw the end of him when he signed for Geelong and keep in mind, he also busted his knee in his first game and missed a great deal of the year.
His statistics are simply unbelievable for a ruckman. 24 disposals per game. Over 5.5 marks and booted 65 goals in those 100 matches.
To change the game as he did, and at an age where he was past his prime, a generational talent like very, very few.

I just wish there was more footage of him.

He may have been even better as difficult as that may seem to believe.
They say we saw the end of him when he signed for Geelong and keep in mind, he also busted his knee in his first game and missed a great deal of the year.
His statistics are simply unbelievable for a ruckman. 24 disposals per game. Over 5.5 marks and booted 65 goals in those 100 matches.
To change the game as he did, and at an age where he was past his prime, a generational talent like very, very few.

I just wish there was more footage of him.
He came to our school (St. Joey's 1965, 1966) with Bobby Davis and Billy Goggin to give us primary kids footy clinics.
Unbelievable exponent of handball. And that stab pass from Billy.....
If anyone did not follow Geelong back then at that school it was truly sacrilege.
He had some family connection to Tim Darcy's family who lived right next to the Noble St Oval, and in later years even after he left Geelong, many times Polly would be out there with Greg and Tim Darcy teaching them footy skills.
We always knew Tim Darcy was going to be a highly skilled player from the tender age of 4 or 5.

Last edited:
That bloke didnt put the great Gary Malarkey in the top 50 !!!!!!!!

He was a better player than Peter Walker - and alot better than Mark Bos

Unbelievable omission by that bloke
In 1983, the Geelong and now AFL historian Col Hutchinson said of Malarkey in his book "Cats Tales" that he was "one of Geelong's most effective full backs and probably the strongest defender to ever represent the team. His great concentration, solid marking, effective spoiling tactics, courage, pace and superb kicking resulted in nightmares for opposing forwards. Few players have emulated his consistency."

That would suggest it was just an oversight."That bloke" knows his Cats, no doubt at all.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
In 1983, the Geelong and now AFL historian Col Hutchinson said of Malarkey in his book "Cats Tales" that he was "one of Geelong's most effective full backs and probably the strongest defender to ever represent the team. His great concentration, solid marking, effective spoiling tactics, courage, pace and superb kicking resulted in nightmares for opposing forwards. Few players have emulated his consistency."

That would suggest it was just an oversight."That bloke" knows his Cats, no doubt at all.
Exactly. Unless you put a hell of a lot of time into it you're always going to make a few oversights etc. Everyone would.
He does know his stuff.

He wasn't better than Walker.
He was marginally better than Bos.
He was about 20 times as good as Bews.
Can not compare with Bews.
Malarkey would never get GOTY.
Malarkey could not rove, play MF, or play BP on a small nippy forward.
20 x better is a crazy description coming from you Fred, if you don't mind.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
He wasn't better than Walker.
He was marginally better than Bos.
He was about 20 times as good as Bews.

Bulldust - Malarkey was alot better than Walker

Bill Goggin - played with Walker and coached Jack Hawkins - in the early 90s - Goggin in the early 90s picked his best ever Geelong side - and selected Jack Hawkins for the CHB position

In 67 GF - if you watch the vision closely - Geel captain Polly Farmer was not happy on a couple of occasions - re Walkers coverage of Royce Hart

" Marginally better than Bos " - what a laugh

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Bulldust - Malarkey was alot better than Walker

Bill Goggin - played with Walker and coached Jack Hawkins - in the early 90s - Goggin in the early 90s picked his best ever Geelong side - and selected Jack Hawkins for the CHB position

In 67 GF - if you watch the vision closely - Geel captain Polly Farmer was not happy on a couple of occasions - re Walkers coverage of Royce Hart

" Marginally better than Bos " - what a laugh
As Fred Wooller said, Walker's omission from the Team of the Century was a disgrace.

But we can both agree that Malarkey should clearly be in that Best 50, just one of the many, many mistakes.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Can not compare with Bews.
Malarkey would never get GOTY.
Malarkey could not rove, play MF, or play BP on a small nippy forward.
20 x better is a crazy description coming from you Fred, if you don't mind.
Alright then, he was just infinitely better than Bews, who doesn't belong anywhere near anyone's Best 50.

The short answer to that "Best 50" is that GAJ at no.17 makes the whole thing suspect, in fact, rubbish.

It proves my original point that someone can watch something but not see it.

And everyone went through it all years ago when it was published, so I don't intend to dignify the nonsense with any more comment.

Alright then, he was just infinitely better than Bews, who doesn't belong anywhere near anyone's Best 50.

The short answer to that "Best 50" is that GAJ at no.17 makes the whole thing suspect, in fact, rubbish.

It proves my original point that someone can watch something but not see it.

And everyone went through it all years ago when it was published, so I don't intend to dignify the nonsense with any more comment.
Given that he watched EVERY game and was the statistician, let him have his opinion, but we can accept his list may have some alterations if he did it again.
No need to get the ire levels up.

BIGANT

Premiership Player
Jan 19, 2006
Glenelg
AFL Club
Geelong

My first experience of #5 doing great things. I loved Gary Malarkey back in the day.

My first experience of #5 doing great things. I loved Gary Malarkey back in the day.
We have had some beauties.
Farmer
Malarkey
Ablett
Varcoe

They all have one thing in common, the letter A, in both their Christian and Surnames, and they certainly were A graders.

Last edited:

Perazi

Rookie
Jul 24, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Good news for you and your fellow whiners, is you can whinge and moan about Scott for another 3 years....a regurgitation of the same old dross spewed out over and over and over again...

Scott haters..........never change

I get the feeling you'll be the one moaning about Scott in three years time. Even if he was a great coach, which I doubt, fourteen years is a ridiculously long tenure - one you won't see repeated in any major sporting code in the future.

I get the feeling you'll be the one moaning about Scott in three years time. Even if he was a great coach, which I doubt, fourteen years is a ridiculously long tenure - one you won't see repeated in any major sporting code in the future.
That would only give him 13 years left to catch up to Sheedy's Essendon record.

Highly unlikely...you see, when things dont go my way, I dont sit around repeatedly moaning and whinging about it..I just get on with it..

Life's too short...

Perazi

Rookie
Jul 24, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
That would only give him 13 years left to catch up to Sheedy's Essendon record.

Yes, but Sheedy's record was some time ago. Funny you should mention him; I was an Essendon supporter for many years but became fed up with him remaining so long as Coach when regeneration candidates like Tim Watson or Bomber Thompson should have taken over the role. I became a Cats fan in 2000 when MT took over from Gary Ayers.
My point is that eras like Sheedy, Clarkson, Ferguson at Man U, Wenger at Arsenal are things of the past. No present day professional sporting club should be keeping a senior coach much beyond 10 years, even successful ones, and nor should they; which makes the three year extension and a fourteen year total. for Scott seem so puzzling.

Yes, but Sheedy's record was some time ago. Funny you should mention him; I was an Essendon supporter for many years but became fed up with him remaining so long as Coach when regeneration candidates like Tim Watson or Bomber Thompson should have taken over the role. I became a Cats fan in 2000 when MT took over from Gary Ayers.
My point is that eras like Sheedy, Clarkson, Ferguson at Man U, Wenger at Arsenal are things of the past. No present day professional sporting club should be keeping a senior coach much beyond 10 years, even successful ones, and nor should they; which makes the three year extension and a fourteen year total. for Scott seem so puzzling.
Great points you make. I hope it's not enough to lead you back to supporting Essendon- they look as if they're going to be big improvers from my pov.

Perazi

Rookie
Jul 24, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Great points you make. I hope it's not enough to lead you back to supporting Essendon- they look as if they're going to be big improvers from my pov.

No, not a chance. Cats are a great team to support and watch play. I've also long admired not only the quality of player Geelong have produced but the culture within the Club and with few exceptions the "no dickhead" policy which has delivered players, coaches etc who are decent human beings.
And for all my frustrations with Chris Scott I'll be willing him to do well!

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Still don't mind it. Milburn extremely lucky to make it, Lingy a bit high, Jnr a bit low.
But a decent list.
But I might just be happy someone else rates Scarlett as high as I do.

This. Milburn was a good player, really integral part of a great defence but to make a list like that top 50 you’d want to be one of the first 1-2 players chosen in your area of the field, barring exceptions like when we had Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Ling, Selwood all on the ball.

Milburn would never ever be picked ahead of any of the main defenders he played alongside. Scarlett, Enright, Taylor, Egan if he got a run at it, probably Harley. He’d never be picked ahead of Stewart and a few others later on either. I wouldn’t have put him in a top 50

Edit: Bluey McGrath another one

Last edited:
Back