2nds AFC 2021 SANFL Thread - We're baaaaaaaack (in the SANFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you missed his comments during the year when we wouldn’t drop a performing ROB for him? “My spot” “my spot” “my spot”

Im also pretty sure hey shorty or MRB37 said he had been pissy around the club about not getting his spot back.

As for the SANFL final, you are discounting what the finals meant to the club and players. When you are in the finals you want to win and it would have been great for the kids to play more finals. Jacobs let his teammates and club down for a personal decision, that’s just a fact.
I can understand his view to a point, and I also think he'd have a lot of knowledge to give younger players now that he's been out of the system for a bit.

I still don't think he was the right choice mind you, leaves a bad taste in the mouth

I can understand his view to a point, and I also think he'd have a lot of knowledge to give younger players now that he's been out of the system for a bit.

I still don't think he was the right choice mind you, leaves a bad taste in the mouth
I also think he’d have knowledge to share but say we have a player in a position that needs to make a team orientated decision or a personal one? What advice is he going to give?

What if we have a performing junior being kept out of the team because of an underperforming senior player, what advice will he give? You’ll just need to wait because it’s the senior players spot? In those 2 scenarios his previous actions are going to make him come across as a hypocrite.

And it was you that said he spat the dummy wasn’t it?

I also think he’d have knowledge to share but say we have a player in a position that needs to make a team orientated decision or a personal one? What advice is he going to give?

What if we have a performing junior being kept out of the team because of an underperforming senior player, what advice will he give? You’ll just need to wait because it’s the senior players spot? In those 2 scenarios his previous actions are going to make him come across as a hypocrite.

And it was you that said he spat the dummy wasn’t it?

It was. And we had Thommo who was no better in that regard has well. He said onAA his advice to an injured player is to always put up your hand to play, especially in finals. And our selection philosophies have embraced this for years. It's 'team last' from both sides. That aNd continuity is what leads to having a third of your list yet to debut. Thankfully LM has forced the hand there the last couple of years. And Burgess sounds like he's going to fix the senior player, "I can't train, but I'll be right to go Saturday" culture.

And you don’t need any encouragement to put bring out the Pom poms and go into full cheerleader mode.

If you can’t even entertain the thought that the club and players wanted to win that final and ultimately a chance for the flag, you’ve never played a game of sport in your life or been part of a team.
Cmon the club doesn't give a flying * about reserves results and nor should they

Cmon the club doesn't give a flying fu** about reserves results and nor should they
I disagree. We were in the finals, the seniors were shot. There is absolutely nothing to lose and plenty to gain by having the kids play more finals against men, perform well and win it. I can understand your thinking during the season but once you are in it you want to win it. Jacobs personal decision hurt the club, there is no denying this, it’s a fact and for a club sprouting team first, it was a complete slap in the face from a bloke who all year whinged about not getting his spot back.

I disagree. We were in the finals, the seniors were shot. There is absolutely nothing to lose and plenty to gain by having the kids play more finals against men, perform well and win it. I can understand your thinking during the season but once you are in it you want to win it. Jacobs personal decision hurt the club, there is no denying this, it’s a fact and for a club sprouting team first, it was a complete slap in the face from a bloke who all year whinged about not getting his spot back.
There's nothing to gain by the reserves winning and the players putting off their preseason break longer

Ideally we'd forfeit as soon as our AFL season was finished which is why in the terms of our entry we had to assure the SANFL that we wouldn't put in token effort post-AFL season

Whatever contribution Jacobs had made to our club was over. He was moving on and so were we.

There's nothing to gain by the reserves winning and the players putting off their preseason break longer

Ideally we'd forfeit as soon as our AFL season was finished which is why in the terms of our entry we had to assure the SANFL that we wouldn't put in token effort post-AFL season

Whatever contribution Jacobs had made to our club was over. He was moving on and so were we.

Plus there is the argument of why waste finals experience on someone like Jacobs, who had all but finished his career. Why not give a player like Himmelberg a shot at the lead ruck role.

Primary purpose of the sanfl side is to develop AFL players, learn and simulate the AFL game plan, learn the role that the player has been identified for at AFL level

If the sanfl team can build a winning culture, win finals or even a flag that's an added bonus

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think a winning culture is very valuable - but personally I wouldn't mind if the Crows and Port weren't even allowed to play in SANFL finals.

Get the kids rested before started the next pre season bright and early. That's all that really matters.

It doesn't really matter how well our reserves team does, any more than it matters how well Glenelg or Norwood's reserves teams do.

Whatever contribution Jacobs had made to our club was over. He was moving on and so were we
I’ve given you reasons why there is plenty to gain and do you seriously think the club would prefer preseason start early and accept a losing culture? Is that how you’ve seen us roll in the past?

If Jacob put his hand up would we have picked him?

Plus there is the argument of why waste finals experience on someone like Jacobs, who had all but finished his career. Why not give a player like Himmelberg a shot at the lead ruck role.
Yes that is such a benefit that Himmelberg has never played lead ruck since, cmon, that’s absolutely clutching.

I’ve given you reasons why there is plenty to gain and do you seriously think the club would prefer preseason start early and accept a losing culture? Is that how you’ve seen us roll in the past?

If Jacob put his hand up would we have picked him?
There is no world where a player who is out of contract and moving to a new club (if he finishes the season unscathed) continues to play after the season has finished with a reserves team

This "for the good of the club" stuff is misty-eyed rubbish

The reason the club will do stuff like run a player for a half in the reserves as he comes back from injury is because they do not care what the results of the games are.

Yeah sure if Jacobs was dumb enough to put his hand up to play we would have let him but he isn't and we wouldn't have expected him to be

There is no world where a player who is out of contract and moving to a new club (if he finishes the season unscathed) continues to play after the season has finished with a reserves team

This "for the good of the club" stuff is misty-eyed rubbish

The reason the club will do stuff like run a player for a half in the reserves as he comes back from injury is because they do not care what the results of the games are.

Yeah sure if Jacobs was dumb enough to put his hand up to play we would have let him but he isn't and we wouldn't have expected him to be
That’s running players for half a game doesn’t happen in the finals ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you missed his comments during the year when we wouldn’t drop a performing ROB for him? “My spot” “my spot” “my spot”

Im also pretty sure hey shorty or MRB37 said he had been pissy around the club about not getting his spot back.

As for the SANFL final, you are discounting what the finals meant to the club and players. When you are in the finals you want to win and it would have been great for the kids to play more finals. Jacobs let his teammates and club down for a personal decision, that’s just a fact.
I can't say if he was "pissy" around the club, but from what I was told there was certainly an expectation that he'd walk back into the 22 when healthy and when that didn't happen he wasn't happy. I'll also have to say that those expectations were reinforced by certain members of the coaching group at the time, so it's not like Jacobs developed those ideas of his own accord. You just need to go back and listen to Campo when Sauce first got injured in 2020, not a mention of what an opportunity it was for ROB and how this was his chance to grab a spot ands put his career on the map, just "When Jacobs gets back..." repeatedly from him and not even a hint that ROB would keep his spot even if he was playing well.

My expectations on this is Sauce can't and won't be setting those sort of expectations as a development coach. He's there to teach and help out and I would fully expect that he'll do fine in his role given the scope of it.

Max Hodges who played a few games as a top up has signed fir Norwood

Another example of the SANFL Crows having given far more to the traditional SANFL clubs than they've taken.

Just out of PNU Pierce Seymour, Tom Wagner and Max Hodges now have gone from the Ravens to traditional clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back