Which club has the worst guernsey?

Which club's guernsey is the worst?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You could mount an argument that GC's jumper is traditional. It has a logo front and centre, same as Carlton, (and also Brisbane/Fitzroy and West Coast). And it has stripes (sort of), which if memory serves, 1 or 2 other clubs do.

The problem with the suns' jumper isn't that it has a logo on it, it's that the logo is bland and corporate looking. It looks too much like the Packers' logo and it kinda looks like a surf brand. I know it's the suns but they're still a football team.

Nah you couldn't. Come on, the fact it has a "logo" doesn't make it traditional. It's giant text, even the logo is non traditional.
Yeah, but when Carlton came into being, their logo was non-traditional too. It's only viewed as traditional because we are now a century removed.

Anyway, I was simply playing devil's advocate. I'm not a fan either, as I find it unimaginative and uninspiring.

Bias Alert ahead!!
West Coast is an interesting case. It's not a 'traditional' guernsey at all, but it just works as a footy jumper. Every aspect of the design has a meaning, from the colours, to the logo, to the design. It's been fascinating to watch it devolve from its core principles from the mid-90s to its reinstatement from the mid-2010s.

It's only viewed as traditional because we are now a century removed.
Yeh that's a big part of traditional Guernseys. Its the classic textbook styles. Come on you know the style I mean, or at least I think you do, there's no way GC is a traditional footy jumper, as an opinion that's what I prefer. Non traditional Guernseys just don't have that same feel for me. I also don't love the colour scheme.

FWIW I like the Eagles jumper. The royal blue with gold wings is great.

Worst guernsey in the league is gold coasts away strip.

But worst home guernsey? Depends on the day of the week. Some days I’d say gws as it doesn’t feel like a football guernsey. Other days I’d say adelaide. Blue base clashes with half the league. Majority yellow/red clashes with nearly everyone else.

The only 2 games I find it sexy watching the crows play is vs Sydney and gold coast*

*on the condition they’re in their red with red shorts and we’re home with blue shortstop.

What if we replaced the logo with a gcfc monogram?
I personally like your home strip

The 2011-13 alternate with the wave I hated.

But your main home (especially 2013-14, 2018-present) are sexy imo.

You’re probably the only team who has never developed a good away strip imo.

You’re probably the only team who has never developed a good away strip imo.

I did like the Suns first away jumper with the big wave. It's certainly not a traditional design or anything but I think it just worked, and it was distinctly Gold Coast too. Add yellow cuffs and it would be a much better candidate for a home jumper than what they have currently

AFL Rd 17 - Richmond v Gold Coast : News Photo

Not as bad as a Blue, wtf is a Blue...lol
Teams have had nicknames based on the club colours for ever - Reds, Blues, Tricolours etc. It's possibly the oldest form of nickname. Most Italian soccer teams have nicknames which are used by fans based on colours - Rosssoneri for AC Milan, Nerazurri for Inter, Gialloblu for Verona, Bianconeri, Sampdoria are called the Blue Circles (Blucerchiati) because their jumper is blue with a single hoop. The Italian national team is called the Azzuri (Blues).

In England, Man U and Liverpool are both called the Reds, Chelsea are the Blues, Bournemouth are the Cherries (guess which colour they are?). One team is known as the Clarets (can't remember which). In Spain, Real Madrid are known moslty as the Whites, and Bacelona are the Blaugrana (Blue and Reds). It's all around the world.

No nicknames are 'official' (although now with marketing trademarks. clubs are trying to establish them, but fans don't care). Colour nicknames are probably the most common. Unfortunately it's hard to put a cartoon animal of it on a pencil case, so now teams are trying to create new nicknames primarily to sell merch.

Australian Rules is (as always) a bit different in that we tend NOT to use team colour nicknames. But Blues is a great nickname.

Teams have had nicknames based on the club colours for ever - Reds, Blues, Tricolours etc. It's possibly the oldest form of nickname. Most Italian soccer teams have nicknames which are used by fans based on colours - Rosssoneri for AC Milan, Nerazurri for Inter, Gialloblu for Verona, Bianconeri, Sampdoria are called the Blue Circles (Blucerchiati) because their jumper is blue with a single hoop. The Italian national team is called the Azzuri (Blues).

In England, Man U and Liverpool are both called the Reds, Chelsea are the Blues, Bournemouth are the Cherries (guess which colour they are?). One team is known as the Clarets (can't remember which). In Spain, Real Madrid are known moslty as the Whites, and Bacelona are the Blaugrana (Blue and Reds). It's all around the world.

No nicknames are 'official' (although now with marketing trademarks. clubs are trying to establish them, but fans don't care). Colour nicknames are probably the most common. Unfortunately it's hard to put a cartoon animal of it on a pencil case, so now teams are trying to create new nicknames primarily to sell merch.

Australian Rules is (as always) a bit different in that we tend NOT to use team colour nicknames. But Blues is a great nickname.
They sure give their fans the blues....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought your team name was meant to stand for something, not what color the guernsey is mainly

I always thought your team name was meant to stand for something, not what color the guernsey is mainly
It's a nickname, frankly older clubs like Collingwood, Melbourne and Carlton don't need them unless they're trying to attract to a younger demographic like what I think Geelong Cats are doing, or don't have the history like the VFL/AFL expansion teams.

I thought I remembered a story behind our ochre guernsey from 2000 and after looking at a map I think it's correct. It's based on the actual state of WA, "where the red desert meets the sea", it's even in the shape of it. You can see the thin light blue line represents the clear blue beach water then the dark blue being the ocean etc. A side by side with a map should make sense now. Now you know what they were thinking.

Untitled.png

I thought I remembered a story behind our ochre guernsey from 2000 and after looking at a map I think it's correct. It's based on the actual state of WA, "where the red desert meets the sea", it's even in the shape of it. You can see the thin light blue line represents the clear blue beach water then the dark blue being the ocean etc. A side by side with a map should make sense now. Now you know what they were thinking.

View attachment 1279144

They were thinking "gradients are ******* COOL" and they were correct

View attachment 1279144
Fat eagle

#fatshaming

Voted for Gold Coast due to the design.

I see a lot of people voted for Hawthorn because of the colours.

I think Hawthorns is terrible. P & P seems to adequately describes it. Really not much you can do with Brown & yellow. Stripes make it even worse.

The one that disappoints me is the Adelaide jumper. Looking at their great State jumper, they've made an awful hooped atrocity of the same colours. Sad, unnecessary & sad.

I think Hawthorns is terrible. P & P seems to adequately describes it. Really not much you can do with Brown & yellow. Stripes make it even worse.

The one that disappoints me is the Adelaide jumper. Looking at their great State jumper, they've made an awful hooped atrocity of the same colours. Sad, unnecessary & sad.

Despite the difficult colour combo, I still rate our away strip as the best in the league. The predominant gold with the brown V is a thing of beauty.

Back