World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup (Qualifiers)

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
"Give up the 3 points now".

They're playing Panama ffs
It was a pretty big win for them tbf. Panama actually qualified automatically for the last World Cup whereas this is the first time Canada have even made it to the final stage of CONCACAF qualifying since 1998. That win saw them leapfrog Panama into 3rd which is an automatic qualifying spot.

They couldn't miss out again could they?
I remember after 2018 and 2022 were awarded there was talk of them boycotting in protest.
Would be the ultimate irony if they actually failed to make it to both.
Normally I wouldnt care (dont care much for the central american nations) but I've been rooting against them hard the past few years just forsuggesting they might boycott

That moment I realise it's possible for Ukraine to go unbeaten in qualification, but not even make the 2nd round

If they win (at Bosnia), and Finland win both games (vs France and at Bosnia) Finland would jump Ukraine
If they draw (at Bosnia), Finland only need to win one of their games (vs France or at Bosnia) to jump them.

So November matchdays are about to kick off

Already qualified
Qatar
Germany
Denmark

Only teams which can qualify in November are
Brazil and Argentina from CONEMBOL
Portugal or Serbia from UEFA Group A
Sweden or Spain from UEFA Group B
Italy or Switzerland from UEFA Group C
France or Ukraine or Finland or Bosnia and Herzegovina from UEFA Group D
Belgium or Wales from UEFA Group E
Netherlands or Norway or Turkey from UEFA Group G
Russia or Croatia from UEFA Group H
England or Poland or Albania from UEFA Group I

Looking at specifically Nov 11/12/13 games.

Brazil can qualify with a win over Columbia AND Uruguay dropping points against Argentina
Sweden can qualify with a win over Georgia AND Spain dropping points against Greece
France can qualify with a win over Kazakhstan
Belgium can qualify with a win over Estonia OR Wales dropping points to Belarus
Netherlands can qualify with a win over Montenegro AND Norway dropping points to Latvia
Russia can qualify with a win over Cyprus AND Croatia dropping points to Malta
England can qualify with a win over Albania AND Poland dropping points to Andorra, OR England drawing with Albania AND Poland losing to Andorra

1636668567534.png

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Sweden losing to Georgia is a big loss for them. Were heading into the game v Spain only needing to draw it to qualify in front of Spain, now they need to win.

Really need another round of qualifiers for Europe for the minnows.
SOrry, but I love the upsets we see.
North Macedonia knocking off Germany?
Slovakia beating Russia?
Ireland matching it with Portugal?
Italy-Bulgaria draw?
France and Bosnia tying?
Same as England-Hungary?

Yeah, we might avoid an 8-0 drubbing.
But I'll accept that for some fun stories.
1 team can struggle a bit (ie Italy 2018, or France 2010) and have to then head to the 2nd round where you might get knocked off by Sweden or need a hand of god to squeak by Ireland.

I love the current setup.
Plus, I'm sure the fans of these smaller nations would enjoy seeing the best turn up
I just checked Malta 2018
3,431 vs Lithuania
4,207 vs Slovenia
4,980 vs Slovakia
15,069 vs Scotland
16,994 vs England

Or Gibraltar who only got 1,000 once, vs the best team Belgium

Or Andorra who got sub 2k against lesser opposition, but cracked 2k vs Switzerland and 3k vs Portugal.

It's why I also love following CONEMBOL qualification
Ecuador was ranked 64 in the world when the draw was made. This would put them in pot 4 in Europe along the likes of Luxembourg and Alabania.
Give them the opportunity and they can prove themselves. Currently 3rd, clear of 5th by 4 points, with 5 games to go.

These pools which open it up for anyone are amazing imo

SOrry, but I love the upsets we see.
North Macedonia knocking off Germany?
Slovakia beating Russia?
Ireland matching it with Portugal?
Italy-Bulgaria draw?
France and Bosnia tying?
Same as England-Hungary?

Yeah, we might avoid an 8-0 drubbing.
But I'll accept that for some fun stories.
1 team can struggle a bit (ie Italy 2018, or France 2010) and have to then head to the 2nd round where you might get knocked off by Sweden or need a hand of god to squeak by Ireland.

I love the current setup.
Plus, I'm sure the fans of these smaller nations would enjoy seeing the best turn up
I just checked Malta 2018
3,431 vs Lithuania
4,207 vs Slovenia
4,980 vs Slovakia
15,069 vs Scotland
16,994 vs England

Or Gibraltar who only got 1,000 once, vs the best team Belgium

Or Andorra who got sub 2k against lesser opposition, but cracked 2k vs Switzerland and 3k vs Portugal.

It's why I also love following CONEMBOL qualification
Ecuador was ranked 64 in the world when the draw was made. This would put them in pot 4 in Europe along the likes of Luxembourg and Alabania.
Give them the opportunity and they can prove themselves. Currently 3rd, clear of 5th by 4 points, with 5 games to go.

These pools which open it up for anyone are amazing imo
Yeah but they’re very rare…too many one sided games and it’ll reduce games for best players

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
How is it that England managed to get Andorra, San Marino & Albania all in the same WC qualifying group?

This is surely the easiest ever group they will ever have.

Each of the six team groups included a country from each (seeded) pot. England drew Andorra and San Marino who were the lowest ranked in their pots, and Albania who were middling. But it probably wouldn't have mattered which countries England drew from the lower pots - the result would have been the same.

Who you draw from pot 2 and 3 is more important, and England drew two of the higher ranked countries. Germany, for example, had an easier draw.
1636763810669.png

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
That performance by Kane was surely him trolling Spurs. A perfect hat trick and he could have had a couple more.

Slabhead also defied his club performances with a very solid 90 minutes.

Phillips has ability but plays some dumb football. He takes up positions ahead of the ball then runs towards it. It always brings an opposition player with him so at best it goes back to the player who gave him the ball, or often it goes back to the keeper. Better players like Rice, Kante and Fabinho find space where they can receive the ball and move it forward.

So November matchdays are about to kick off

Already qualified
Qatar
Germany
Denmark

Only teams which can qualify in November are
Brazil and Argentina from CONEMBOL
Portugal or Serbia from UEFA Group A
Sweden or Spain from UEFA Group B
Italy or Switzerland from UEFA Group C
France or Ukraine or Finland or Bosnia and Herzegovina from UEFA Group D
Belgium or Wales from UEFA Group E
Netherlands or Norway or Turkey from UEFA Group G
Russia or Croatia from UEFA Group H
England or Poland or Albania from UEFA Group I

Looking at specifically Nov 11/12/13 games.

Brazil can qualify with a win over Columbia AND Uruguay dropping points against Argentina
Sweden can qualify with a win over Georgia AND Spain dropping points against Greece
France can qualify with a win over Kazakhstan
Belgium can qualify with a win over Estonia OR Wales dropping points to Belarus
Netherlands can qualify with a win over Montenegro AND Norway dropping points to Latvia
Russia can qualify with a win over Cyprus AND Croatia dropping points to Malta
England can qualify with a win over Albania AND Poland dropping points to Andorra, OR England drawing with Albania AND Poland losing to Andorra

Brazil officially qualify.
3 more teams can qualify tonight in France/Belgium/Netherlands.

Some time tomorrow i'll go through the final dates and figure it out.
Though, I just figured out Argentina. But when it needs 4 results to occur, it's unlikely to happen on this matchday.
And the European groups are much easier.

Back