Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Jake Niall has written a column advocating for voting rights expansion. Personally I would disagree with any expansion including AFL members with Collingwood club support.

I don’t really know how it works.

For the AFL / MCC members who provide nominated club support, does any of the AFL / MCC dues go towards the club? If so, is that equivalent to a CFC membership? If so, I don’t have a problem with them being eligible to have a say in the operation of the club.

Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense. You need to be a member of the organisation to have a say in its running.

For example, CFC members can’t reasonably expect to vote on MCC matters, why would MCC members expect to be able to vote for CFC matters?

For the AFL / MCC members who provide nominated club support, does any of the AFL / MCC dues go towards the club? If so, is that equivalent to a CFC membership? If so, I don’t have a problem with them being eligible to have a say in the operation of the club.
My understanding is that the club gets the cost of a base 11 game membership from AFL/MCC supporters.

Isn’t it about how much of the $$ spent finish up in the club coffers.
The original Social Club Members went 100% to the club.
I assume the original Seasons ticket holders, the revenue was shared between the VFL & Club (purely as a gate fee only) & they were not considered as full members.
If that principal still applies today…then anyone who directly contributes funds to the Club (beyond gate entry) should be eligible to be a voting member.
This should not include pet memberships…my Cocker Spaniel has no idea about such matters…feed her some minced steak or a biscuit & she would vote for you (would finish up voting for all 11 candidates).

Isn’t it about how much of the $$ spent finish up in the club coffers.
The original Social Club Members went 100% to the club.
I assume the original Seasons ticket holders, the revenue was shared between the VFL & Club (purely as a gate fee only) & they were not considered as full members.
If that principal still applies today…then anyone who directly contributes funds to the Club (beyond gate entry) should be eligible to be a voting member....
This gets to the crux of the matter - what is an actual club "member". For many years now, all the clubs and the league (and also rugby and soccer franchises) have been using the terms "member" and "membership", to include anyone who buys a gate entry right to a certain number of home games. In recent years even a 3 game entry right is counted as a "member" when in reality, only those who have invested sufficient to secure voting rights (e.g. social club membership) are actual legal club members.

As such, Barrie Cassidy is dead wrong to claim most members don't have a vote - all actual members do. The problem
is the misuse of the term "member" to also refer to those who have merely purchased gate entry and/or reserved seats (with maybe a couple of trinkets like a cap, scarf and sticker thrown in, to make it seem like you're a member when in fact you really ain't)

This mis-use of the word "member" becomes even more stark in privately owned franchises (they are not even "clubs"
as such) like Melbourne Storm and the A-League franchises. None of them have any members at all, just gate entry and season ticket holders, with no say in who owns or runs the franchise - that belongs solely to their private owners.

Last edited:
This gets to the crux of the matter - what is an actual club "member". For many years now, all the clubs and the league (and also rugby and soccer franchises) have been using the terms "member" and "membership", to include anyone who buys a right gate entry to a certain number of home games. In recent years even a 3 game entry right is counted as a "member" when in reality, only those who have invested sufficient to secure voting rights (e.g. social club membership) are actual legal club members.

As such, Barrie Cassidy is dead wrong to claim most members don't have a vote - all actual members do. The problem
is the misuse of the term "member" to also refer to those who have merely purchased gate entry and/or reserved seats (with maybe a couple of trinkets like a cap, scarf and sticker thrown in, to make it seem like you're a member when in fact you really ain't)

This mis-use of the word "member" becomes even more stark in privately owned franchises (they are not even "clubs"
as such) like Melbourne Storm and the A-League franchises. None of them have any members at all, just gate entry and season ticket holders, with no say in who owns or runs the franchise - that belongs solely to their private owners.

Rubbish- I have one of those so called "cheap" 11 game memberships and the club refers to me as a member and even tells me how many years I've been a member on my scarfe. I am lucky to get to more than one or two games a year due to other commitments but I still stump up the money to support the club. In other words the club is getting home games revenue from people like me even though I know I won't be attending. Perhaps in your eyes we are not worthy but the club seems to think we are somewhat important. Having said that I have no issue at all with the club ruling that only certain membership categories have a right to vote.

Rubbish- I have one of those so called "cheap" 11 game memberships and the club refers to me as a member and even tells me how many years I've been a member on my scarfe. ...
You have misconstrued the point of my post - I specifically said above - "... For many years now, all the clubs and the league ... have been using the terms "member" and "membership", to include anyone who buys a right gate entry to a certain number of home games ..." - and your post confirms exactly what I said.

And I never used the term "cheap" for 11 game season tickets (some with reserved seats aren't really cheap) or used the term "unworthy", nor did I imply such season ticket holders are somehow not "important" for the club - in fact, people like yourself are as important as any other supporter.

The simple point I'm making is that the term "club member" has been for years mis-used, as it should only be used for those you have voting rights, nothing more, nothing less, without any aspersions being cast againt any ticket holders that don't have voting rights

Having said that I have no issue at all with the club ruling that only certain membership categories have a right to vote.
So apart from the quibble about the use (or mis-use) of the term "member", we agree.

If every Member has a vote.
What happens in this scenario:
Club proposes to spend $1000,000 upgrading Social Club facilities.
The majority of Social Club Members are very happy with the plan.
However, the majority of other Members (non Social Club Members) are against the plan (see it as a waste of funds).
It becomes a Political issue at an AGM…the chances are the planned upgrade would not happen (with Board Members not willing to upset the majority).
Hence the Social Club Members will miss out on improved facilities…so why tip in the extra $$.
This may encourage people to downgrade their Membership…if the perceived advantages start to fade or disappear.

If every Member has a vote.
What happens in this scenario:
Club proposes to spend $1000,000 upgrading Social Club facilities.
The majority of Social Club Members are very happy with the plan.
However, the majority of other Members (non Social Club Members) are against the plan (see it as a waste of funds).
It becomes a Political issue at an AGM…the chances are the planned upgrade would not happen (with Board Members not willing to upset the majority).
Hence the Social Club Members will miss out on improved facilities…so why tip in the extra $$.
This may encourage people to downgrade their Membership…if the perceived advantages start to fade or disappear.
Let the lesser members eat cake mate.

I've contacted those two about their take on the Do Better report. Will post their responses when I get them.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I found this from Sean Callanan. Not sure if this was prompted by your question.

What is your position on the Do Better report?

First of all, as a Collingwood member, I want to see the club implement all the recommendations outlined in the report (please read it here). Actions will speak louder than words, I am pleased with the progress reports so far (you can read them here) and I look forward to seeing the change that the report rightly called for. As a board member, I will support all Do Better initiatives to help all Collingwood supporters be informed to understand why the changes are being made. For me Do Better is important as Side By Side.

Jake Niall has written a column advocating for voting rights expansion. Personally I would disagree with any expansion including AFL members with Collingwood club support.
Cassidy is bleating about his own stupid choice.

It was his choice not to purchase a membership with voting rights attached. He cant blame others for his choices. I've been a member for 58 years and a social club member since 1982. I became a social club member so I could vote. That was my choice. I also have an AFL club support package.

Barrie is being silly.

My understanding is that the club gets the cost of a base 11 game membership from AFL/MCC supporters.
That might be for AFL, but definitely not MCC.
MCC members nominating Collingwood as the club they support contribute nothing to Collingwood. My gut feel is this is what Wilson has, and all it is is ticking a box with your MCC renewal for data collection purposes.
Other two options are $65 to be counted as a Collingwood member and get the cap/scarf/member package/ emails, and $85 for that same package plus access to two Marvel games. If Wilson had one of these he would likely be described as a Collingwood/MCC dual member, not an MCC member with Collingwood club support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Home Clubs get a share of the mcc “Gate” and the MCC food and beverage takings when Mcc members turn up to the game. I don’t think what team you have ticked on a form has any financial implications whatsoever.

So indirectly they contribute to the club. We also contribute to Essendon Carlton and Richmond when it’s an away game.

MCC members should have no voting rights at Collingwood. If you want to vote at Collingwood elections the surely the prerequisite is to be a Collingwood member.

Some ideas about questions for the candidates …

- What do you consider is the role of the Collingwood board? If elected, what do you see your role would be on the board?

- How would your presence on the board make the club better?

- What is your vision for the club? If you were elected, and where to serve three terms, where do you see the club would be at the end of that period?

- What do you see as the pathway towards your vision? What decisions and actions would need to be taken along the journey?

- Do you think the club Articles of Association need reform, and if so, in what areas? Specifically, what are your thoughts on
= Term limits? (recently proposed by the board)
= Member voting rights? (All members? AFL members? MCC members? Interstate CFC members?)
= Use of Article 25 (b) to bring people like Neil Wilson and Bridie O’Donnell onto the board?
= 24 month member qualification?
= Any support for external (non member) board positions?
= Expanding the number of board seats (eg: to 9)
= Other?

- Infrastructure
= How would you like to see the club infrastructure expanded?

- Finances, specifically:
= The club has been in financial peril at various times in its past, how do you see that’s avoided going forward?
= How does the club secure its long term financial sustainability?
= Club’s investment strategy?
= Funding if any infrastructure plans?

- Governance and risk management
= What do you see as the types of risks the clubs faces and how do you see risk should be managed?

- Footy and netball teams:
= What role do you see the board plays for our teams being as competitive as possible?
= How would you use your position in the board to help our teams be as competitive as possible?
= What role do you see the board has in player recruitment and retention?
= What role do you see the board has on salary cap management?

- How do you see the club culture now and into the future? Specifically
= How should the club balance the honouring of long term members versus being welcoming of new members?
= How should the club balance the honouring of its heritage and history, whilst also striving for a bright future?
= How should the club balance having a strong local connection to 3066, with it being a national brand?
= Do the club and its people serve as role models? How does the club navigate that path?
= Role of the Do Better activities?
= Other?

- Membership
= How do you see the club can improve its engagement with the members?
= Thoughts on growing the membership base? If so, where would new members come from and how would the club appeal to them?
= Other?

- Other?

Last edited:
Some ideas about questions for the candidates?

- What do you consider is the role of the Collingwood board? If elected, what do you see your role would be on the board?

- How would your presence on the board make the club better?

- What is your vision for the club? If you were elected, and where to serve three terms, where do you see the club would be at the end of that period?

- What do you see as the pathway towards your vision? What decisions and actions would need to be taken along the journey?

- Do you think the club Articles of Association need reform, and if so, in what areas? Specifically, what are your thoughts on
= Term limits? (recently proposed by the board)
= Member voting rights? (All members? AFL members? MCC members? Interstate CFC members?)
= Use of Article 25 (b) to bring people like Neil Wilson and Bridie O’Donnell onto the board?
= 24 month member qualification?
= Any support for external (non member) board positions?
= Expanding the number of board seats (eg: to 9)
= Other?

- Infrastructure
= How would you like to see the club infrastructure expanded?

- Finances, specifically:
= The club has been in financial peril at various times in its past, how do you see that’s avoided going forward?
= How does the club secure its long term financial sustainability?
= Club’s investment strategy?
= Funding if any infrastructure plans?

- Governance and risk management
= What do you see as the types of risks the clubs faces and how do you see risk should be managed?

- Footy and netball teams:
= What role do you see the board plays for our teams being as competitive as possible?
= How would you use your position in the board to help our teams be as competitive as possible?

- How do you see the club culture now and into the future? Specifically
= How should the club balance the honouring of long term members versus being welcoming of new members?
= How should the club balance the honouring of its heritage and history, whilst also striving for a bright future?
= How should the club balance having a strong local connection to 3066, with it being a national brand?
= Do the club and its people serve as role models? How does the club navigate that path?
= Role of the Do Better activities?
= Other?

- Membership
= How do you see the club can improve its engagement with the members?
= Thoughts on growing the membership base? If so, where would new members come from and how would the club appeal to them?
= Other?

- Other?

Not enough questions about the salary cap and trading pick 2.

Not enough questions about the salary cap and trading pick 2.

How would you phrase that as a question, the answer to which would give us an insight into whether we should vote for the candidate or not?

(I feel I covered that with the “what role does the board have in making our teams competitive?” and “how would you use your role to make our teams competitive?” … but happy to consider other angles)

How would you phrase that as a question, the answer to which would give us an insight into whether we should vote for the candidate or not?

(I feel I covered that with the “what role does the board have in making our teams competitive?” and “how would you use your role to make our teams competitive?” … but happy to consider other angles)

I was joking, because I remain frustrated that so much of the calls for the board to be spilled came off the back of players needing to be dumped for cap purposes.

But if we go back to instances where it is now more or less accepted that Eddie had a role in overruling the footy department re Beams and the Grundy contract, which helped put us on a path of salary cap issues, perhaps a more focused question should be "how involved should a board be in decisions relating to recruitment?" Or, "what should occur if the football department has a fundamental disagreement with the board on an issue such as recruiting?"

I was joking, because I remain frustrated that so much of the calls for the board to be spilled came off the back of players needing to be dumped for cap purposes.

But if we go back to instances where it is now more or less accepted that Eddie had a role in overruling the footy department re Beams and the Grundy contract, which helped put us on a path of salary cap issues, perhaps a more focused question should be "how involved should a board be in decisions relating to recruitment?" Or, "what should occur if the football department has a fundamental disagreement with the board on an issue such as recruiting?"

Good point, I’ve updated the list of questions (under football department stuff)

Have any eligible voting Members received voting information in the mail as yet?

I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that it was being done electronically?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back