Prediction Who fills the fullback position in 2022?

Who fills the fullback role in 2022?

• Marchbank

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Young

Votes: 84 57.5%
  • McDonald

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • McGovern

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
First off, if the moderators would prefer this be merged with one of the other existing threads, I'm more than happy. Just wanted a quick poll to see who the supporters think should take on the role next season.

The contenders:

Marchbank - Coming from a long way back due to injury, might be too soon to throw him into such a key role. More suited as an interceptor?

Young - New to the club. Long term could be a solid option but probably not ready for the role come Round 1.

McDonald - Not sure where he's at injury-wise but has shown to be a competent defender with poor disposal at times.

McGovern -
We don't even know if he can make it as a defender and you would think he would be more suited to an intercept role.

My feeling, for what it's worth, is McDonald should fill the role in the short term while Young continues to develop and eventually becomes the permanent option.

Of those you have put forward, I'd say OMac. Feel he's the most suitable option to step in and fill the role of a traditional full back.

One you've not mentioned is Weitering. This backline is now his and think it's very possible we see him take a deeper position in 2022. He can be our rock with Young, Marchbank, Kemp playing a role more suitable for intercept defenders a little further up the ground.

I always thought our KPD positions needed a shake up anyway next season. Weitering, Young, McGovern for me. Filled out by Saad, Williams and Stocker. Kemp the 7th defender on the bench.

Plowman - Young - Kemp
Saad - Weitering - Williams

For mine right now

Hoping Marchy can come all the way back.

Left field could Curnow do it I know it robs Peter to pay paul I know he’s a super star forward
He’s strong great mark obviously Young first option but if that doesn’t seem to be working might not be the worst stop gap
The other suggestion seem undersized or to slow
I’m not married to this idea go easy

If one of Marchy or McGovern (or even Kemp) can string together a full szn as 3rd tall and intercepter, we won't feel the loss of Jones. Large IF though.
All true.

But the other thing perhaps to consider is that we might have been hoping for Young to be a flexible tall - play some time fwd, some time as 3rd tall back, and pinch hit in the ruck. We're now tying him down to the second KPD. Who is our second ruck? We're effectively back to playing both Pitto & TDK. Gotta hope we see significant improvement from both.

Left field could Curnow do it I know it robs Peter to pay paul I know he’s a super star forward
He’s strong great mark obviously Young first option but if that doesn’t seem to be working might not be the worst stop gap
The other suggestion seem undersized or to slow
I’m not married to this idea go easy
Not the worst idea I've seen, though he's not as tall as you'd think.

Weitering to Full Back

Mitch McGovern to move into the back 6 as the dominant intercept marking courageous defender we NEED.

tina.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young, with OMac as a back up, but prefer one of them is a relief 2nd KPF/ruckman to TDK.

But please, can we stop with the likes of Gov, Marchbank as KPD options, they will only ever be 3rd talls

I didn't realise Young was 201 cm if he puts on 6-8 more kgs would be a perfect fit to play on the Hawkins types in the backline.

McGovern could have a break out year as a pack crashing/spoiling intercept marking back men whether that's as a 3rd tall or KPD he has the speed and

athleticism to be handy acquisition in the backline it's above the shoulders with Mitch just needs to believe in himself .

Jarrod Lienert may be worth a look.

Can we get Rory Thompson....

How many clubs actually go with two monster forwards these days?

We could get by against some opponents with Weiters and a pair of third tall types. We may just begin to value versatility and fluidity instead of rigid structure

Weitering.

Young and McDonald the obvious replacements for Jones, being the most like-for-like in terms of structure.

Alternatively it might be that we go with an additional talls down back, but having more of the 3rd tall type rather than the 2nd designated key defender. Port didn’t have a heap of monsters down back, so it’s something Voss is familiar with.

Might be that Weiters is surrounded by a combination of Marchbank, Plowman, Kemp, McGovern, etc. Try and have a system that relies less on 1v1 efforts down back, also slowing the ball down through the middle rather than Teague’s open corridor to goals.

Our fwd/ruck structure probably is linked too. How many tall forwards and rucks are playing might change how many talls we want down back, or vice versa.

The wildcard in all of this is we’re yet to see what Voss’ idea of the team will be, regarding structure as well as game plan and individual selection. Inside grunt vs outside run in the midfield, the relief ruck, tall vs small at both ends, tackling/def-pressure vs attacking ball use in various positions, etc.

I just hope our taller defenders, particularly Weitering, all get a good run at it this year and we have minimal games lost.

F*** I can’t wait for the first scratch matches to start getting a glimpse of what’s to come.

Back in Young for the second KPD spot. Would be an absolute dream come true to have already landed an 8-10 year KPD for pick 51. Weitering gets the job on the monsters like Hawkins and Lynch, he usually mauls them. Young could have a very negative role on the more athletic types that have given Weiters a bit of trouble like Max King.

Back