Prediction Who fills the fullback position in 2022?

Who fills the fullback role in 2022?

• Marchbank

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Young

Votes: 84 57.5%
  • McDonald

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • McGovern

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Can we get Rory Thompson....
Call Michael Hartley

Thompson is a far better player but has been injury prone and is 30 ish.

Hartley would be break glass only...

I reckon Hartley of the two is more realistic... he's already in Melbs, would cost nothing in salary and would have no expectations that he is anything other than emergency cover.

But if we need cover there must be someone running around in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc that is ready to play and has more potential upside than either.

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
How many clubs actually go with two monster forwards these days?

We could get by against some opponents with Weiters and a pair of third tall types. We may just begin to value versatility and fluidity instead of rigid structure

I dunno but we're likely to have H and Charlie that would command KPD attention. Either would potentially monster a third tall one on one.

HaydossJ

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Back in Young for the second KPD spot. Would be an absolute dream come true to have already landed an 8-10 year KPD for pick 51. Weitering gets the job on the monsters like Hawkins and Lynch, he usually mauls them. Young could have a very negative role on the more athletic types that have given Weiters a bit of trouble like Max King.
Love this

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
Thompson is a far better player but has been injury prone and is 30 ish.

Hartley would be break glass only...

I reckon Hartley of the two is more realistic... he's already in Melbs, would cost nothing in salary and would have no expectations that he is anything other than emergency cover.

But if we need cover there must be someone running around in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc that is ready to play and has more potential upside than either.
What size is Hartley, seen he just signed with Seymour.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Weitering has been filling fullback well for years, as for CHB Young has to be the man for the job. McDonald would be close as well but IMO Young will get first crack at it. Marchbank and McGovern could do it against most sides but not all sides.

That was my thought - Weitering is out FB, we need a CHB. Got 6 months to get someone ready, doesnt have to be a world beater but just break even. Not the end of the world losing Jones.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
That was my thought - Weitering is out FB, we need a CHB. Got 6 months to get someone ready, doesnt have to be a world beater but just break even. Not the end of the world losing Jones.
I'm keen on young. He's got a lot of talent and is just stepping out of the developing stage.

It depends on whether you want to “replace” Jones, or just need a full back.
These options are very different.

Jones played on instinct. Hence he was prone to the odd stupid mistake. But his mistakes were far outweighed by his confidence in himself, and his ability, to win back the footy for his team. He wasn’t afraid for his spot in the team, his mistakes were always him being positive/proactive, never in two minds, never from inaction. He never left the field wondering. That type of mentality is almost impossible to “replace”. If we want a “Jones type”, a like for like, it can only be Gov. He’d be the only one with that type of mentality.

On the other hand, if we’re just looking for a full back. Then let’s train one up. We obviously have options. Pick one and teach him to own the full back position. That’s why we have coaches.

Last edited:

Cripptonite

All Australian
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
If we’re looking for an internal replacement then Marchbank, OMac, Young and McGovern should be trialled.

External replacements to look at:
-Leek Alleer

-Marty Hore

-Rance (for 1-2 years) I’d be throwing the kitchen sink at him even from a development perspective. Offer a transition to coaching role afterwards if required.

-Alternatively I’d be trying to get a ready made mature state league player similar to what Brody Mihocek was as a rookie

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If we’re looking for an internal replacement then Marchbank, OMac, Young and McGovern should be trialled.

External replacements to look at:
-Leek Alleer

-Marty Hore

-Rance (for 1-2 years) I’d be throwing the kitchen sink at him even from a development perspective. Offer a transition to coaching role afterwards if required.

-Alternatively I’d be trying to get a ready made mature state league player similar to what Brody Mihocek was as a rookie

Reality: With their final selection, Carlton chooses a HBFer 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bluebag13

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Ideal world: Marchbank plays 22 games, and the system around him lets him play off his direct opponent and set us up.

Probable outcome: Young plays and takes Weitering's role, Weitering takes on aspects of Jones', and we try to rely on increased pressure upfield to improve our defense.

Good thing is we have kemp and McGovern as alternatives to Marchbank as well

Lovers

Debutant
Aug 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Ideal world: Marchbank plays 22 games, and the system around him lets him play off his direct opponent and set us up.

Probable outcome: Young plays and takes Weitering's role, Weitering takes on aspects of Jones', and we try to rely on increased pressure upfield to improve our defense.
We just went out and got lewis young when we had jones in the system. Either the club had an incling about jones' vax stance and got young in as collateral. Or what im lead to believe is more likely that jones' decision has hit the club for 6 and theyll need to draft someone. Players I can think of:

Charlie Dean - 195cm 20yo KPD, melbourne
Blake Schlenslog - 199cm 21yo, in the WAFL from geelong
Alex Rance - sounds nice but cant see him even remotely looking at playing again

We just went out and got lewis young when we had jones in the system. Either the club had an incling about jones' vax stance and got young in as collateral. Or what im lead to believe is more likely that jones' decision has hit the club for 6 and theyll need to draft someone. Players I can think of:

Alex Rance - sounds nice but cant see him even remotely looking at playing again
you seem to be overlooking all the calls this year for better backline depth...........

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Good thing is we have kemp and McGovern as alternatives to Marchbank as well
In my opinion, it would genuinely be a waste of a player to have Kemp down back. He's creative, he's fast and agile, he is too dangerous 1 on 1 to play behind the ball; put him around the ball, and we improve our speed and our power, and put him up forward and you've a handful for any opposition.

Gov needs to make a position work for him, and I genuinely do not care which part of the ground it is.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

I don't know why people have even brought Rance up. If he were to return, why would he go anywhere other than Richmond?

I think we need to grab a KPF to develop almost ahead of another KPD, as we're astoundingly even shorter those than we are KPD's. Either grab a general KPP type and develop them at both ends through the VFL (which will hopefully play more footy next year) or pick up a KPF roundabout our second and bank on developing them for either role.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
All true.

But the other thing perhaps to consider is that we might have been hoping for Young to be a flexible tall - play some time fwd, some time as 3rd tall back, and pinch hit in the ruck. We're now tying him down to the second KPD. Who is our second ruck? We're effectively back to playing both Pitto & TDK. Gotta hope we see significant improvement from both.
That may have been the plan initially, but needs must. We have to be able to adapt to situations like Liam's retirement as they come up.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
it’ll be one of Young or O’mac but just as important will be the third tall defender as they will be the player helping them out.

I don’t rate Marchbank as much as others but he does read the play bloody well so he would be able to play the role we need hopefully, if he is fit.
Gov obviously could be tried back and has a lot of the attributes that should make him a good defender.
Kemp is the guy who could be your Lever type level player and take our side to the next level in spite of us having a potentially weak FB or CHB.

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know why people have even brought Rance up. If he were to return, why would he go anywhere other than Richmond?

I think we need to grab a KPF to develop almost ahead of another KPD, as we're astoundingly even shorter those than we are KPD's. Either grab a general KPP type and develop them at both ends through the VFL (which will hopefully play more footy next year) or pick up a KPF roundabout our second and bank on developing them for either role.
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ake-schlensog-looms-elite-key-position-player

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

On the potential of Mitch McGovern moving to defence ...
He’s got some real ability and he can play forward and can go back. It’s certainly an option for ‘Vossy’ to work through for sure.

Back