Free Agency Hugh Greenwood joins North Melbourne as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Has just been pinched by North on a 2 year deal after being psuedo-delisted by GC (promise of redraft).

Scenes.

Why delist him in the first place? Sounds like GC just made a massive mistake tbh. Don’t blame Greenwood on looking after himself.

Why delist him in the first place? Sounds like GC just made a massive mistake tbh. Don’t blame Greenwood on looking after himself.

I assume for salary cap/list spot manoeuvrability. Doesn't make a lot of sense doing it with an important player and it has backfired on them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume for salary cap/list spot manoeuvrability. Doesn't make a lot of sense doing it with an important player and it has backfired on them
Wasn’t he still contracted?? How do you delist a bloke that’s still contracted?
If North come to you with a great deal and a club just delisted you I know what I would do.

isn’t he vice captain of Gold Coast? Why would you delist your vice captain? I think Gold Coast should be embarrassed. They’ve been caught out trying to pull a swifty and hope North and Collingwood wouldn’t offer him some coin.
The whole rookie list system is a mess to be honest. The way clubs are using this rookie list system is a shamble.

If North come to you with a great deal and a club just delisted you I know what I would do.
They 'mutually agreed' for him to be delisted, same as with Jarrod Lyons.

I wonder who GC will take with pick 97.

isn’t he vice captain of Gold Coast? Why would you delist your vice captain? I think Gold Coast should be embarrassed. They’ve been caught out trying to pull a swifty and hope North and Collingwood wouldn’t offer him some coin.
The whole rookie list system is a mess to be honest. The way clubs are using this rookie list system is a shamble.

Anybody can be delisted at any time, but they are owed the value that remains on their contract one way or another and it's going to be included in the teams salary cap. These players are cut and re-drafted as it's usually in the interests of the club to do things like open up a spot on the main list, help reach the minimum required picked at the draft etc. and the players agree to it in order to help out. North are doing the same with Polec this year, Carlton did likewise with Betts. It's fairly routine.

There has been a sort of unspoken agreement that if a club is committed to these types that get chopped with a promise of being re-drafted, other clubs stay away. They are normally not Hugh Greenwood types though; generally they are young players who have struggled with injuries, fringe players who happen to have years on their contract or older veterans who are helping the club out.

This hasn't panned out well for GC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back