Prediction 2022 GWS Best 22 - your opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The draft is approaching, player return for pre-season 2022 is imminent, it's time that we start thinking about who's likely to be in our best 22 for next year.

Is any draftee likely to make it in? Is it dependent on who gets drafted? Does Bobby Hill get a best 22 guernsey? Where does Phil Davis sit in the KPD pecking order? When he returns from injury, does Jack Buckley automatically get a spot? Where are our kids placed? What's the status of our veterans - Cal Ward & Matt de Boer?

Will the best 22 change during the year - does someone get overtaken? Which kids are going to break out in '22, like Isaac Cumming & Connor Idun did this year?

Have at it!

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
This is fun, I won't include any rookies because I got no idea who they're going to take. Assuming Buckley and Keefe won't be ready, if theres anyone else with longish term injuries that aren't in the side it's probably cause they won't be ready. Toby obviously out for round 1 and a few more.

Ash Taylor Davis
Cuming Haynes Perryman
Whitfield Green Kelly
Taranto Himmelberg Daniels
Hill Hogan Flynn

Briggs Hopper Cogs

Bench
Bruhn Idun Ward Stone

It's really tough to pick a fully fit side, I loved what Stone showed so could defintely see him breaking into the side, but there's a bunch of guys around the mark with him. XO, Llyod, Kennedy or MDB could easily be in there over Stone, think it's so tight between all those guys but think positionaly he probably gives us what we need with Toby out, Llyod would also be a good option in a similar position. I've made it pretty clear that I'm all in on Flynn/Briggs, we got no idea what Preuss is going to look like but if he proves himself as the top option in preseason then maybe he takes over for Briggs but that's going to be tough to do, but Flynn would be my third tall/ruck pretty much week in week out. Davis showed against Geelong that he still has enough left in the tank to play when he's healthy and feeling good, don't think we're going to be able to count on that all the time but if he looks anything like he did in the final against Geelong last year he's in, if we see a drop off and doesn't have it anymore it'd have to be Stein at least until Buckley and Keefe get back and no telling how they're going to look coming off major injuries. Wouldn't look too deep into where Ash, Perryman and Whitfield are located on the lineup card I continue to expect that they're going to rotate quite a bit between wing/half back like they did this year, same with Kelly he's put on the wing but would expect him to keep playing as an on baller think his ball use is important in the middle. Hopefully our depth isn't tested as much this year as it was last year but think we're well stocked if it does, you could probably name around 30 guys that I'd feel comfotable playing at least for a few weeks. Riccardi, Stein, Brander, Sproule maybe Peatling, see how Angwin develops. It's a strong list we should aim to be one of the best teams in the competition.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Is any draftee likely to make it in?

No.

No rookie starts as best 22 - that’s something that has to be earned. And with so little footy over the past 2 years it would be stupid to think any draftee is a walk-up best 22.

that‘s not to say they can’t be by the end of the year, it’s not even ruling out a debut in round 1 - but in my mind, no draftee starts out best 22*

*with the exception of those drafted to GC in 2010 and us in 2011

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
This is fun, I won't include any rookies because I got no idea who they're going to take. Assuming Buckley and Keefe won't be ready, if theres anyone else with longish term injuries that aren't in the side it's probably cause they won't be ready. Toby obviously out for round 1 and a few more.

Ash Taylor Davis
Cuming Haynes Perryman
Whitfield Green Kelly
Hill Hogan Flynn

Briggs Hopper Cogs

Bench
Bruhn Idun Ward Stone

It's really tough to pick a fully fit side, I loved what Stone showed so could defintely see him breaking into the side, but there's a bunch of guys around the mark with him. XO, Llyod, Kennedy or MDB could easily be in there over Stone, think it's so tight between all those guys but think positionaly he probably gives us what we need with Toby out, Llyod would also be a good option in a similar position. I've made it pretty clear that I'm all in on Flynn/Briggs, we got no idea what Preuss is going to look like but if he proves himself as the top option in preseason then maybe he takes over for Briggs but that's going to be tough to do, but Flynn would be my third tall/ruck pretty much week in week out. Davis showed against Geelong that he still has enough left in the tank to play when he's healthy and feeling good, don't think we're going to be able to count on that all the time but if he looks anything like he did in the final against Geelong last year he's in, if we see a drop off and doesn't have it anymore it'd have to be Stein at least until Buckley and Keefe get back and no telling how they're going to look coming off major injuries. Wouldn't look too deep into where Ash, Perryman and Whitfield are located on the lineup card I continue to expect that they're going to rotate quite a bit between wing/half back like they did this year, same with Kelly he's put on the wing but would expect him to keep playing as an on baller think his ball use is important in the middle. Hopefully our depth isn't tested as much this year as it was last year but think we're well stocked if it does, you could probably name around 30 guys that I'd feel comfotable playing at least for a few weeks. Riccardi, Stein, Brander, Sproule maybe Peatling, see how Angwin develops. It's a strong list we should aim to be one of the best teams in the competition.
I like most of this. I think that we need to pick performance over potential at this stage as there is no data to indicate players like stone are improving (although. we obviously expect them to). If thats the case I think id have XO in over Stone

I couldn't justify including Preuss using my above mentioned strategy so Briggs it is I suppose

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I like most of this. I think that we need to pick performance over potential at this stage as there is no data to indicate players like stone are improving (although. we obviously expect them to). If thats the case I think id have XO in over Stone

I couldn't justify including Preuss using my above mentioned strategy so Briggs it is I suppose

Would have no issues picking XO over stone, if it wasn't stone it would've been him

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS

I’m with you on XOH and Briggs, but can see us starting the Preuss/Flynn combo initially

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
For a best 22, I am going to ignore suspensions (Toby) and injuries (Keeffe & Buckley).

Ash Taylor Davis/Buckley
Cumming Haynes Perryman
Whitfield Green Kelly
Taranto Himmelberg Greene
Daniels Hogan Flynn
Briggs Hopper Coniglio

IC: Idun Ward Bruhn/XOH Hill/Stone

So, I'm going to agree that no first year player is best 22 to start the year, and I doubt it to end the year either; unless we select someone like Josh Rachele at the draft who's fairly advanced in his skills, and someone like Bobby is a bit off with the fairies due to his personal circumstances and in an area in which we're a touch weak anyway.

In the backs, I've gone with the Leon's preferred 4 tall, 3 medium set-up. After last year, Taylor/Davis/Haynes/Idun/Perryman/Ash/Cumming seems a no-brainer, although I've bracketed Jack Buckley with Davis because I think over the course of the season, and once Buckley returns from his injury, he has a very good chance of becoming preferred.

With the ruck set-up, I agree with others' view that a dual set-up would be best; I'm on the Briggs/Flynn duo, but in reality it will be whoever out of Preuss and Briggs looks best in pre-season. I could have bracketed Briggs/Preuss, but I'm hoping it's Briggs.

That leaves Flynn as part of the forward set-up, effectively taking Finlayson/Sproule's position from this year; while Hogan & HH round out the talls. Brander probably gets an opportunity whenever Hogan is injured, but doesn't start in the best 22. Greene & Daniels are walk-up small forwards, Taranto as the resting mid who is capable forward. I'll start the season with Hill in the best 22, but he needs to put the events of trade period behind him to stay there. Bruhn and Stone are coming hard for that spot, and while Bruhn is more of a mid capable of playing forward, I can see Stone breaking out this year as a medium forward. He can score goals, he can defend. If he takes his chances (and potentially gets that in the first 5 weeks with Toby sidelined) he could very well be best 22 by mid-year.

That leaves Hogan/Himmelberg/Flynn/Greene/Daniels/Taranto/Hill as what I'd see to start, but a good chance of Stone overtaking Hill.

Midfield is fairly straightforward, with Hopper, Cogs, Green starting centrefield, Ward on the bench rotation, Taranto in the rotation from the forwards; Whitfield and Kelly in outside-leaning roles, and then XOH or Bruhn with the balanced midfielder spot on the bench. I'd have Bruhn ahead based on class, but XOH's advantage would be his speed and strength. At some point, Ward's position in the team might come under pressure, with Taranto able to take that role and Bruhn & XOH both being inside the best 22 ... but not at the start of the season (I think!). Although Bruhn may get Toby's spot to start the year and XOH the midfield bench spot. I'm going to bet on a breakout year for Tom Green - taking that main, hard-headed, ball-winning midfielder role for the team.

We also have decent depth, providing injuries don't bite hard. Tall defenders would be the weakest, with both Buckley and Keeffe having LTIs. Kennedy, Wehr and the incoming Josh Fahey will provide medium defender backup. Brander, Riccardi & Sproule will be handy up front (and presumably one or two will have secondary roles as KPD depth). Stone will press hard to come in up forward, with the ever-reliable Dan Lloyd sitting in reserve. Midfield is a little weaker, although Bruhn/XOH (and Stone too able to play mid) are waiting in the wings; MdB as veteran depth. Lachie Ash, while in the best 22 as a defender could easily roll into midfield, allowing one of the reliable defenders (such as Adam Kennedy) to fill in back there, so I think we're able to cover there OK. One of the incoming draftees might be a mid, too.

And then we will see who other than Josh Fahey arrives after the ND, and look forward to their development.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Haynes Davis Whitfield
Perryman Taylor Cumming
Ash Cogs XOH
Taranto HH Greene
Daniels Hogan Hill
Preuss Hopper Green
Ward Idun Flynn Buckley/Brander/Loyd/Stone/DeBoer

obviously it’s a bit tricky with a couple of long term injuries and Toby out the first 5 weeks.
Whitfield plays his best footy down back. He should stay there. Ash could be an excellent wingman if he is played there consistently. XOHs running is very solid… his contested games is great… and his kicking has improved a lot. Ash and XOH playing on the wings would be a great result.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Haynes Davis Whitfield
Perryman Taylor Cumming
Ash Cogs XOH
Taranto HH Greene
Daniels Hogan Hill
Preuss Hopper Green
Ward Idun Flynn Buckley/Brander/Loyd/Stone/DeBoer

obviously it’s a bit tricky with a couple of long term injuries and Toby out the first 5 weeks.
Whitfield plays his best footy down back. He should stay there. Ash could be an excellent wingman if he is played there consistently. XOHs running is very solid… his contested games is great… and his kicking has improved a lot. Ash and XOH playing on the wings would be a great result.
Ahem, you seem to be missing Josh Kelly.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Early in the season with Greene out, could Whitfield play half forward flank, with maybe Callaghan playing half back flank if Callaghan is better suited there than forward?

Battlepants

All Australian
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
B: Ash, Taylor, Davis
HB: Cumming, Haynes, Whitfield
C: Bruhn, Cogs, Kelly
HF: Daniels, Hogan, Greene
F: Himmelberg, Flynn, Hill
R: Preuss, Hopper, Taranto
IC: Idun, Ward, Green, Perryman

I prefer to keep Whitfield in the backline since he's so good in that position, but also because we have so many good players for those mid positions that we should field as many as we can. I thought Bruhn was really good near the end of the season playing that outside mid position, really gave us a bit of run and dash, so I'd like to see him continue there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
B: Ash, Taylor, Davis
C: Bruhn, Cogs, Kelly
HF: Daniels, Hogan, Greene
F: Himmelberg, Flynn, Hill
R: Preuss, Hopper, Taranto
IC: Idun, Ward, Green, Perryman

I prefer to keep Whitfield in the backline since he's so good in that position, but also because we have so many good players for those mid positions that we should field as many as we can. I thought Bruhn was really good near the end of the season playing that outside mid position, really gave us a bit of run and dash, so I'd like to see him continue there.
Gee our best 22 looks the goods doesn’t it

How far back do u have XO?

Ash Taylor Davis
Cuming Haynes Perryman
Whitfield Green Kelly
Hill Hogan Flynn

Briggs Hopper Cogs

Bench
Bruhn Idun Ward Stone

Very close to what I think.
Preuss v Briggs will be interesting.

Obviously Toby straight in when available.

The Likes of MDB, Kennedy and XOH will play plenty of footy,

Hill may be forced out by Stone and one of the guys mentioned above come on to the interchange bench.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Very close to what I think.
Preuss v Briggs will be interesting.

Obviously Toby straight in when available.

The Likes of MDB, Kennedy and XOH will play plenty of footy,

Hill may be forced out by Stone and one of the guys mentioned above come on to the interchange bench.
The Hill situation will be very interesting as he's the only player we have in that mold but he's yet to be particularly productive, I could defintely see him losing his spot if guys like Stone are putting in the work and putting runs on the board in the VFL. This could be a breakout year for Hill, hopefully it is cause we really need that type of player in our forward line.

B: Idun, Taylor, Davis
C: O’Halloran, Green, Ash
HF: Brown, Himmelberg, Greene
F: Taranto, Hogan, Flynn
R: Preuss, Hopper, Kelly
IC: Ward, Perryman, Bruhn, Stone
Brown ahead of Daniels, Hill and Lloyd in the forward pocket?
No Cogs?
That would surprise me immensely

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
B: Idun, Taylor, Davis
C: O’Halloran, Green, Ash
HF: Brown, Himmelberg, Greene
F: Taranto, Hogan, Flynn
R: Preuss, Hopper, Kelly
IC: Ward, Perryman, Bruhn, Stone
If Brown makes our Round 1 side I'd be completely shocked, there's multiple guys not even in the best 22 at his position who are better then him.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Brown ahead of Daniels, Hill and Lloyd in the forward pocket?
No Cogs?
That would surprise me immensely
Sure it’s a reach, however:
Daniels has kicked 7 goals in 29 games 2020/21. Not good enough. Should improve his tank and move to the midfield.
Hill doesn’t contribute enough. His highlights are outstanding, but needs to do more.
Lloyd is good, but a lesser version of Perryman, who I’d play forward ahead of him.
Cogs - if playing unfit or injured last season and his running power and kicking returns next season then of course he’s best 22. He’s had terrible injuries and sadly I have my doubts.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Whats everyone's expectations for our 3 top picks from last going into the second year? How many games do we all think they'll play? Bruhn probably plays 15+, could see Stone being in a similar position if develops faster then expectated but probably more likely around 10ish games, and then with Angwin what are we thinking, if Callaghan is ultimately the pick I think it's going to be difficult for Angwin to find time in the best 22. If the over/under for non medi-sub games for Angwin next year is 5.5 where would people land on that? All this assuming realitively good health and we're not relying on these guys to play games week in week out. Also if Agwin manages to only play 5-6 games next year where does that leave us as far as a contract extension for the following year, if our wing rotation is some combination of Perryman, Ash, Whitfield, XO, Callaghan + anyone else what does a contract extension look like for Angwin if there is one?

Last edited:
Whats everyone's expectations for our 3 top picks from last going into the second year? How many games do we all think they'll play? Bruhn probably plays 15+, could see Stone being in a similar position if develops faster then expectated but probably more likely around 10ish games, and then with Angwin what are we thinking, if Callaghan is ultimately the pick I think it's going to be difficult for Angwin to find time in the best 22. If the over/under for non medi-sub games for Angwin next year is 5.5 where would people land on that? All this assuming realitively good health and we're not relying on these guys to play games week in week out.
Ive got exceptionally high hopes for Bruhn. I expect him to be in our best 22.

Stone will be very close to the top side and with his versatility he will get plenty of chances Id think.

They spoke very glowingly of Angwin at the end of the year. He was always a bit of a project, December Birthday and all that, I think he is likely to get a few chances this year.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Ive got exceptionally high hopes for Bruhn. I expect him to be in our best 22.

Stone will be very close to the top side and with his versatility he will get plenty of chances Id think.

They spoke very glowingly of Angwin at the end of the year. He was always a bit of a project, December Birthday and all that, I think he is likely to get a few chances this year.
Yeah would be a great sign of Bruhn's development if he can establish himself as best 22 in his second year, think that's well within his range of outcomes for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back