Prediction Who fills the fullback position in 2022?

Who fills the fullback role in 2022?

• Marchbank

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Young

Votes: 84 57.5%
  • McDonald

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • McGovern

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We traded Young in for a reason, not just to play reserves..
It's his spot to lose IMO...

My back 7

FBNewmanYoung/ WeiteringMarchbank/ McGovern
HBStocker/ Williams (split HB & Mid)Weitering/ YoungSaad
7th DefenderKemp/ Plowman/ Boyd

Would like us to draft a KPD at 25 or 61 (think AFL will allow us to pick another player at the draft)

Back in Young for the second KPD spot. Would be an absolute dream come true to have already landed an 8-10 year KPD for pick 51. Weitering gets the job on the monsters like Hawkins and Lynch, he usually mauls them. Young could have a very negative role on the more athletic types that have given Weiters a bit of trouble like Max King.
Was thinking the same thing last night - would be ideal.
My only concern is that his highlights are largely full of Mark & Handball.
Doesn't seem to kick too much which means he won't be much of a line breaker.

All true.

But the other thing perhaps to consider is that we might have been hoping for Young to be a flexible tall - play some time fwd, some time as 3rd tall back, and pinch hit in the ruck. We're now tying him down to the second KPD. Who is our second ruck? We're effectively back to playing both Pitto & TDK. Gotta hope we see significant improvement from both.
I hope like hell we don't play all of TDK, Pittonet and Young in the same team. That would be ultra conservative.
I'd much rather play McDonald and Weitering as key backs and Young as the third tall/ruck relief. McGovern/Kemp can play third tall.
I think people forget that McDonald has played 81 games primarily as a KPD before he was replaced by Steven May, the AA FB.
If he's fit, he'll be first choice.

Would have been nice to have pick 6 to pick up gibcus… if there ever was a comparable player to replace jonesy then that is the guy no doubt

Blake Schlensog has a few clubs circling inc. Geelong & Richmond. Looks the goods at 21.

Blake Schlensog (South Fremantle – WAFL)

Position: Key forward/key defender (199cm, 99kg)

A second AFL chance looms for the emerging key-position player after failing to play a game in two seasons on Geelong’s list. Schlensog linked up with South Fremantle for the 2021 WAFL season and was a constant threat for the Bulldogs at both ends of the field. He played as a key defender in his first 11 games and averaged 18 disposals, 7.3 intercept possessions and 3.5 intercept marks. Schlensog then went forward for eight games and averaged 13 disposals, 2.9 contested marks and 2.0 goals, before heading back into defence late in the year. The West Australian reported this week Schlensog had attracted interest from Geelong, Richmond, Collingwood and Gold Coast, but he told the publication the Cats – the club that initially helped Schlensog realise his AFL dream – were “the main ones showing the most positive signs”.

No idea why some think we can replace Jones next season with a draftee, unless we win the lottery, any key defender will take years to cement themselves as an established AFL player, it’s not going to be easy to get it right, but there is good players in the lower leagues that could transition to a key defensive role.

The year we were gifted two state league players, GC took Collins, in his second season he won the B&F, Freo recruited Ryan from the VFL and he was AA by his 4th season.

Our best hope to get cover for Jones is getting in a mature player and not reaching at the draft.

Lets just hope we nail the picks

I'm hoping Rory Thompson if he physically right to play again.
If not him, then probably some other mature key defender from SPP or Lewis Young.

Did Daniel Talia end up landing anywhere?

How about signing up Patty McCartin as a delisted free agent ??? Liam Jones was a failed forward turn backman. Josh Schache has had some success being moved back after being recruited as a forward. I would think McCartin would be more competitive than Schache and could be turned into a decent backman, as long as his concussion issues (and T1D) are under control

I read that Sydney are looking at putting him on as a Rookie, so how about if we get in 1st and sign him as a DFA?

Voted young as he has the height. From people who know more, does he have the strength to go 1 on 1 with the KPFs?
From the videos/photos I've seen he looks like he could put on quite a bit more muscle ie. Weitering level, as he's still quite 'slim'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voted young as he has the height. From people who know more, does he have the strength to go 1 on 1 with the KPFs?
From the videos/photos I've seen he looks like he could put on quite a bit more muscle ie. Weitering level, as he's still quite 'slim'.
As a 1 on 1 fill the void for Jones he won't be a good swap for swap. He is a better 3rd interceptor. He has the height and size to be a good 1 on 1 however he wasn't played there for us for a reason and we were crying out for it

No idea why some think we can replace Jones next season with a draftee, unless we win the lottery, any key defender will take years to cement themselves as an established AFL player, it’s not going to be easy to get it right, but there is good players in the lower leagues that could transition to a key defensive role.

The year we were gifted two state league players, GC took Collins, in his second season he won the B&F, Freo recruited Ryan from the VFL and he was AA by his 4th season.

Our best hope to get cover for Jones is getting in a mature player and not reaching at the draft.

Lets just hope we nail the picks
Maybe you're right but also have no idea why people think Mitch McGovern would make a good KPD? 3rd tall at best - even that is pushing it.

Positive Traits: has burst speed, can kick accurately, also has a great leap.

Negative traits: His physique has very little muscle and he would be easily rag dolled by any big forward. Also has no tank. Could not spend an entire game running up the field to cut off plays or getting back to the square for a 1 on 1.

I think the position should be covered by McDonald.
Young should still be in the team (and I see him spending plenty of time in defense) but I'd rather him be the chop out ruck, especially if we run with TDK as the main ruck and with Pittonet out of the team. All those suggesting McGovern or Marchbank to fill the role are a little off base in my opinion, these guys are third-tall/interceptors and not KPD.

As much as a mature replacement for Jones would be handy, I'd be inclined to look for a younger prospect that can contribute and build with us longer term. Maybe guys like Schlensog and Ballenden are worth a look.

Last edited:
I think young can come in and play a lockdown role similar to Harry petty at Melbourne nothing fancy just gets the job done
Oscar McDonald played back his whole career at dees could fill that role
Do we now use our pick 25 on a mature age like Leek Alleer or Charlie Dean?

Bret Thornton or Luke Livingston for me, probably leaning towards Thornton.

Left field could Curnow do it I know it robs Peter to pay paul I know he’s a super star forward
He’s strong great mark obviously Young first option but if that doesn’t seem to be working might not be the worst stop gap
The other suggestion seem undersized or to slow
I’m not married to this idea go easy
Ed or Charlie? Both equally likely to happen lol

Back