Discussion Which club is St Kilda's biggest rival?

St Kilda's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Geelong-St Kilda rivalry from a few years ago was fun but recently we haven’t really had a reason to have a rival. Maybe a Melbourne rivalry was brewing a few years ago but they’re in a different stratosphere now. Until we start playing in games that matter we won’t have a rival.

Come on, it was just last year we knocked them out of the first week of finals.

They still think we are lacking serious threat status. They think that they beat themselves.

Collingwood games always drew a big crowd especially at the MCG in the 90s.
There always seemed a bit more in those games....Collingwood supporters well everyone hates them and they hate everyone with any colour in their jumper.
Really love bearing Carlton because they just assume they will beat us. They go feral at their own team board etc when they lose....never about how good we are always about the umpires and how bad their players are. Arrogant flogs.
Bullies supporters have always been fair as they have had their downs like we have so they keep their heads.
However North supporters have always left me feeling cold towards them...no grace or consideration of the other side win or lose.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Interesting to see there's a few clubs in the mix in the eyes of Saints fans and who they view as their biggest rival.

I started a similar thread on our board and it was a total landslide to Hawthorn.
Yeah back in the days of Waverley Park I felt like we had a kind of soft rivalry with our co-tenants and we measured our failures against their successes. Not really during games though, more they are the successful brother our mum keeps telling us about.

StJHD

Team Captain
Nov 29, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
We don't have a historical rival like many, as has been stated due to our lack of success. Our most recent rivals (after Geel & Coll) have been WB and Melb...often our development has been compared. Each of us ahead in fits and starts, us being the ones who have not 'made it' but remember that we don't have to rely on excuses for this year to know that a year ago Melb were a basket-case and we beat WB in the finals.

The worry with artificially looking for a rival is that it won't be reciprocated. In the EPL my team Southampton (saints) has always had Portsmouth as our bitter rivals. When our neighbours Bournemouth made the top flight for the first time (ever?) they saw us as rivals...but we like them in a 'little brother' kind of way which always brings chuckles. Moral of the story: create something to be fearful of and we will be worthy rivals to many.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
We don't have a historical rival like many, as has been stated due to our lack of success. Our most recent rivals (after Geel & Coll) have been WB and Melb...often our development has been compared. Each of us ahead in fits and starts, us being the ones who have not 'made it' but remember that we don't have to rely on excuses for this year to know that a year ago Melb were a basket-case and we beat WB in the finals.

The worry with artificially looking for a rival is that it won't be reciprocated. In the EPL my team Southampton (saints) has always had Portsmouth as our bitter rivals. When our neighbours Bournemouth made the top flight for the first time (ever?) they saw us as rivals...but we like them in a 'little brother' kind of way which always brings chuckles. Moral of the story: create something to be fearful of and we will be worthy rivals to many.
Most clubs would have that chuckle at us. Hopefully we can become respected enough to be hated and not just pitied

Aug 9, 2006
Level 2 Bar, Coventry End
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Packers, Detroit Tigers
I agree with the comments on here. Don't have an eternal rivalry, though I know that Dogs fans still hate us from events of a decade ago, and I gleefully barracked against them in the 2016 finals series (unsuccessfully!).

As someone else said, many Gen X Saints fans do have a most hated team, even if it's an unrequited hate - Carlton. A few things happened in the 80s. One, we were insolvent in about 1985 and did a deal with our creditors (who included Trevor Barker and Barry Breen) to give them - from memory - 22.5 cents on the dollar. All our creditors voted in favour of the arrangement, except one - Carlton. After the vote, Ian Collins - who was high up at Carlton at the time - famously said when asked why they voted against it "let them rot".

Then, they tried to buy Tony Lockett off us a couple of years later. When we turned them down, they offered a merger between Carlton and St Kilda on the following terms -
  • Merged club name - Carlton
  • Nickname - Blues
  • Club guernsey - navy blue with a white "CFC" logo.
  • Shorts - blue, with the St Kilda crest on it.
Also, we only beat Carlton twice in the 1980s.

I could never get sick of seeing Carlton losing. Their current period of ineptitude is way, way too short for my liking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Most clubs would have that chuckle at us. Hopefully we can become respected enough to be hated and not just pitied
I remember that shift happened around 2009. Lot of people at that time were like "they used to be my second favourite but now they're so arrogant", etc lol

Don't know when it shifted back to pity and amusement but if I had to guess around the time that Scott Watters entered the frame.

Can't wait til it shifts back again.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember that shift happened around 2009. Lot of people at that time were like "they used to be my second favourite but now they're so arrogant", etc lol

Don't know when it shifted back to pity and amusement but if I had to guess around the time that Scott Watters entered the frame.

Can't wait til it shifts back again.
After those grand final losses I feel like we very quickly fell off the face of the earth in terms of respect. Within a few years we were shite again and irrelevant to the other fan bases. Then you screw up a few draft picks then the ones you passed on end up being quite good and the rest of the story tells itself

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gold Coast. Games are always tight, there's always a fight...and next season we will be throwing the kitchen sink at Bing so that he may take flight.
Actually they’re just about sad enough they don’t have one of their own rivals yet. How many games now in a row under a goal or 2? King vs King and soon to be stolen king

SaintOfLondon

Senior List
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unfortunately, we haven't been good enough for long enough to have a genuine rivalry.

Historically it would be Carlton especially when they tried to 'merge' just so they could poach Lockett and Winmar although due to their rivalries with bigger clubs and our lack of competitiveness I don't think it counts.

Personally the team I can't stand is Essendon and beating them brings me the most joy aside from us making finals.

If I had to go with any team I'd say the Bulldogs due to the clubs both being small vic clubs/historically unsuccessful/both teams having strong sides and big finals games against each other in the 2000's/both representing the opposite sides of Vic. Even then though it's a stretch to say it's a rivalry.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
We don't really have an eternal rival, its kinda changed over the years. In the mid 2000s it always felt like Sydney and Geelong to me but then we dropped off and the stayed up there. Melbourne for a bit because we were both ****, Bulldogs sorta for a couple of reaspons but not really. A bloke I knew who was a Collingwood supporter really hated us for some reason, no idea why. Currently we have some tussles with GWS and GC as uninspiring as those names are.

I personally can't stand Essendon.

Could see one growing between us and the Dees or the Dogs again if we do get better.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd say the dogs but we are their rivals so it's one sided.

A number of their supporters on bigfooty will sink a boot into the saints at any opportunity, heh.

From the saints perspective, i will go the blues, we are both similar the way we have built the lists, both tracking around the same part of the ladder and would provide the best matchup for a close game. Either clubs supporters would expect to beat the other.

Back