No Oppo Supporters 2021 General AFL Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Eagles could be in a bit of strife, rumoured 3 players ala Liam Jones route.
Kelly, Gov, Darling are the names being bandied about.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I've heard the Darling rumour, but not the other two.
It is also being reported Levi Casboult has postponed vaccination until the Novavax vaccine arrives from the USA, which will apparently be later this year, although it has not yet been approved by the TGA.
Unlike Pfizer and Moderna, which are mRNA vaccines, and AstraZeneca - a viral vector vaccine - the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine is a protein vaccine (as per The Age).

Of course the rookie draft where Casboult was thought likely to be picked up by the Suns is next week.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Your last sentence is the "obvious friction" I'm talking about.

If I am understanding yours and others gripe with Greenwood, it is one of the following:

A) At the time of his delisting when the Gold Coast Suns were his only option for a playing career, and that club was receiving scrutiny for delisting him, he shouldn't have posted a tweet clarifying the situation and assuaging the scrutiny?

Or B) That once he had posted that tweet, he had declared his allegiance to the Gold Coast Suns and should therefore have allowed that tweet to dictate his career and the future for him and his family?

Both are mad, in my opinion.

My gripe isn't the tweet. My gripe is that he had obviously agreed to the idea with the Suns. There is no way they'd have delisted him if they thought he might walk, they'd probably just have found someone else. The tweet is just evidence of what went on behind the scenes, that they'd discussed and agreed a continuation of terms. He then reneged on the agreement.

My gripe isn't the tweet. My gripe is that he had obviously agreed to the idea with the Suns. There is no way they'd have delisted him if they thought he might walk, they'd probably just have found someone else. The tweet is just evidence of what went on behind the scenes, that they'd discussed and agreed a continuation of terms. He then reneged on the agreement.

I'm not denying that he reneged on the agreement, I'm saying he was within his rights to because it was likely an agreement that was forced due to lack of other options.

The blame is squarely on Gold Coast's shoulders. They showed their hand by making the first move to fracture the relationship between player and club, and they showed their hand again by declaring their intentions publicly and leaving a quality player on the open market as fair game for rival clubs.

Gold Coast were careless and idiotic; North were cunning and ballsy; Greenwood was rejected and disillusioned. I know who I have the most sympathy for out of the three parties.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I'm not denying that he reneged on the agreement, I'm saying he was within his rights to because it was likely an agreement that was forced due to lack of other options.

The blame is squarely on Gold Coast's shoulders. They showed their hand by making the first move to fracture the relationship between player and club, and they showed their hand again by declaring their intentions publicly and leaving a quality player on the open market as fair game for rival clubs.

Gold Coast were careless and idiotic; North were cunning and ballsy; Greenwood was rejected and disillusioned. I know who I have the most sympathy for out of the three parties.
Wrong

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
It was definitely stupid from GCS, and scummy from Greenwood, as well as NM.

But I would be happy if the swans did that with a player we wanted.

Mathelios

Debutant
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Can't say I have that much sympathy for GC. If they delisted the guy, they had to be prepared for the possibility that he goes somewhere else. Perhaps they saw him as fairly expendable.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos

Ok, I just don't see how Greenwood can be classified as rejected and disillusioned, because there's no evidence for it, and he's come out and said that his infamous tweet was 100% true at the time. So he was fine with Gold Coast's actions (likely because he was consulted and agreed to it beforehand), he just changed his mind. True, Gold Coast gave him the possibility to do that, but if you tell them you're fine with it and you had agreed to stay on, it's pretty low in my book. Nothing 'illegal', just poor form towards the club that gave him a bigger role and likely more $$ to get out of Adelaide (the club, the city is great ;) ).

Last edited:

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
It was definitely stupid from GCS, and scummy from Greenwood, as well as NM.

But I would be happy if the swans did that with a player we wanted.
Suns have for years lost players at the end of the season. This year other than retirements and minimal delistings they retained everyone. Not a bad turnaround.

Problem is they still have to pick 3 in the draft. Maybe they thought that a near 30 year old with 80 games to their name would be a low risk of leaving if delisted.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Suns have for years lost players at the end of the season. This year other than retirements and minimal delistings they retained everyone. Not a bad turnaround.

Problem is they still have to pick 3 in the draft. Maybe they thought that a near 30 year old with 80 games to their name would be a low risk of leaving if delisted.
They probably did. And to be fair, I can't recall the last time a team got gazzumped like this. Bit of a perfect storm, Norf have the coin to pay overs and Greenwood isn't a local boy.

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
So as I understand it he has at GC 1 year at 400k with an option for a second.
North offer 2 years at 500 with an option for a third.
GC left the door open, why wouldn't he walk through it?

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Am I the only one wondering whether north enquired about Dawson? Or that we at least sounded them out to see if they'd be willing to step in to help hold adelaide accountable.

So as I understand it he has at GC 1 year at 400k with an option for a second.
North offer 2 years at 500 with an option for a third.
GC left the door open, why wouldn't he walk through it?

Pus if the second year is in the clubs favour at GC and you've just been delisted you are hardly thinking "well they'll give me the second"

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Am I the only one wondering whether north enquired about Dawson? Or that we at least sounded them out to see if they'd be willing to step in to help hold adelaide accountable.
Believe the Crows intended to heavily front end his contract to make that very difficult. Suits their intentions for next year too. Never realistically on.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Heard David Noble on SEN this morning , he's very impressive and has always had great wraps on him . He explained that there is a very close connection with Greenwood going back to his Grandfather and i think he only left because of Noble . Hate to say it but like Brisbane did they have picked up a beauty.

Heard David Noble on SEN this morning , he's very impressive and has always had great wraps on him . He explained that there is a very close connection with Greenwood going back to his Grandfather and i think he only left because of Noble . Hate to say it but like Brisbane did they have picked up a beauty.

Yep. I heard him too. Just a very impressive person and such a pity he is at Norf.

Who knows, Gold Coast losing a top 10 player of theirs through rookie list shenanigans might make the AFL step in and block rookie list shenanigans in the future.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Who knows, Gold Coast losing a top 10 player of theirs through rookie list shenanigans might make the AFL step in and block rookie list shenanigans in the future.
Did a Vic club profit from the shenanigans....play on!

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC

I mean, each to their own on autonomy of choice and body but that is a large amount of momey to leave on the table considering they have *probably* had plenty of vaccines in their life.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Some good news for the Suns.

Touk Miller signing a 5 year contract extension, to the end of 2027.
Due to become a RFA at the end of 2022, but said;

"I don't want to be sitting in a free agency period and that year where 'it's his last year, is he going to do this? Where's he going to go? Will he stay?'
"I've probably experienced that enough at the club and had no reason to put that on the club at all.
"I felt there was no need to carry-on like that.
"I absolutely love this club. I'd love to be etched into the walls and be part of what this club is going to be."

Top player and comes across as a top bloke as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back