Which club is Brisbane's biggest rival?

Brisbane's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait....

Now I'm confused - I thought it was with the GC???

(well that's what the AFL tells us anyways....)

The thing with the suns is a rivalry because we get treated like the red headed stepchild in our own back yard. The suns get gifted all sorts while we have to earn everything we end up getting.

ETA: And whenever we play them the umps are constantly giving them free kicks that aren't there! Obviously to keep them in the game otherwise we'd steamroll them and spectators would lose interest. This is a thing in both the men's and women's teams.

Last edited:
For me, a rivalry has to be mutual, with both sets of fans detesting each other.

For me, as much as I detest Collingwood, they don’t recognise us as a genuine rival.

Therefore, we don’t have one.
100% agree with this.

A rivalry has to build over years and years of close contests, finals controversy and animosity, long term our best bet for a mutually hateful rivalry is the Suns, we need them to be playing finals against us regularly and us breaking their hearts with kicks after the siren, angst re perceived AFL favouritism, a few spiteful acts ah la May/J.Cameron on Stef and Harris also add to the hate, geographic proximity while not mandatory also adds to it.

Might be good if we start punching a few Suns uncles next Q clash.

Can't ever see it getting to a Spurs/Chelsea or Livlerpool/Everton type of hatred though... at least not in my lifetime.

Dogs currently at the top of my hate list as a team. Cats and Tigers behind them, followed by Port and then Collingwood. Probably no true rivalries in there I don't think. With Eddie and Buckley gone I've softened towards the pies. Helps that they currently suck and their list is a shambles.

I'd say the Broncos. Pretty obvious as to why.
Without doubt for me the Bronco's are our biggest rival. They are the brick wall we will always come up against to hinder our development in QLD. Another NRL club in Brisbane isnt such a bad thing for me but in saying that, we are always the "poor cousin" from ALL QLD media outlets behind the Bronco's and even other NSW rugby league teams. You would think Channel 7 news would be more giving when it comes to AFL given they are the national "free to air" broadcaster of AFL but we are lucky if we get a mention at all during summer and lucky to get a mention during the season more than 3 times a week unlike the saturation of Bronco news we have to watch.

There is the most history for our club with Collingwood. The three peat decimating them as well as Fitzroy and Collingwood, not to mention the proximity of the suburbs and the history between the actual suburbs too. Plus the Buckley / Bears stuff. Tbh the hate for Collingwood is what truly galvanizes the old Fitzroy and old Brisbane supporters together. It's a shame we have been so bad for so long and now with us again at opposite ends of the ladder, this one won't ignite too much for some time.

Port Adelaide would be our next closest, again because of the history in the early 2000s, plus their existence being born out of the death of Fitzroy. It's actually kind of serendipitous that they are there abouts again now we have finally climbed out of the doldrums of the ladder. I also think if they didn't have Adelaide to rage against so hard, we would be at the top of their list, so probably our most genuine one.

While I personally dislike the bulldogs, the only real long term beef we have with them are the Libratore scratching incidents that have any kind of infamy. Besides the nightmares of Eagletons bald head every time we played them.

I think anyone saying we have a rivalry against the cats / tigers is kidding themselves. I don't think either of those clubs would look at us rivals and it's far more of a little brother (us) and big brother (them) relationship. They have done it, we are just trying to step over them as they fall down the ladder.

If you are classing rivalries based on the oppositions hate for playing us (which is a fair assessment), we really only have the Sun's that seem to actually care about playing us.

Does a rivalry have to go both ways equally though to make it a genuine rivalry?

Collingwood would have Essendon and Carlton comfortably up top, arguable that they even have the Port Adelaide before us with the prison bars situation although that could be more Eddie vs Port.

Genuine rivals with us though? It just doesn’t spring to mind. To me it’s dissipated over time. I think these days we’d be maybe 6-7th on their list even behind a west coast.
Sure we enjoy beating them a bit more - but so does every team.

I think both modern day rivalries and long time rivals can both exist.
I dunno maybe I’m kidding myself.

Does a rivalry have to go both ways equally though to make it a genuine rivalry?

Collingwood would have Essendon and Carlton comfortably up top, arguable that they even have the Port Adelaide before us with the prison bars situation although that could be more Eddie vs Port.

Genuine rivals with us though? It just doesn’t spring to mind. To me it’s dissipated over time. I think these days we’d be maybe 6-7th on their list even behind a west coast.
Sure we enjoy beating them a bit more - but so does every team.

I think both modern day rivalries and long time rivals can both exist.
I dunno maybe I’m kidding myself.
Yes, which is why I said we don’t have a genuine rival.

Yes, which is why I said we don’t have a genuine rival.
We don't.

We need to make it Melbourne because they're the current benchmark . They beat us twice this year and we need to at least beat them to win a flag.

From a personal perspective my pet hates are Richmond ,Esssendon ,Geelong and the Dogs . In that order.

As a Lions fan living in Sydney for the last 6 years, my distaste for the Swans has only intensified. Their "flooding the football" strategy from the Paul Roos era onwards lost me big time, and now it's as much their fairweather "fans" as anything. Fair to say the Bondi latte sipping elites don't so much go to the football to see the football, as to be seen watching the football. On "the gram". It is very rare to be able to actually have an informed conversation about the sport with a Sydney "supporter".

On the other hand I have a bit of a soft spot for the Giants. (1) They have virtually no fans, even at their home games, (2) westies (as they are called here) actually have a bit of character, (3) up until this year they played far the more attractive football of the two clubs.

(I would be at pains to point out that soft spot was non-existent during the 2019 semi final, which I flew up for)

Having said all that I voted for Port 😂 Mostly for reasons mentioned above. Every time they play it always seems to be a hotly anticipated match. Well, by non Vic-centric media that is :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoy beating Geelong, Collingwood and Richmond the most, but these teams care little about us. Which shows that we don't really have a rival. I voted for the Gold Coast, but could have easily put University down.

The Tigers games of late have certainly been heated,the fans have a natural hatred for one of the teams that have supplanted them at the top

Is there a history between the Roys and the Tigers?
Not really but as a Fitzroy supporter in 1993 it was pretty hard to take when we traded Paul Broderick, Michael Gale and Matthew Dundas and received a bruised and battered Jeff Hogg and supposively a goal net which was being pulled down from punt road and was going to be thrown out. The only other moment was Richmond Cheer Squad trying to burn our fence down at the junction oval. Other than that nothing serious.

Historically from the Fitzroy days and early 2000s it would be Collingwood.

On a personal level for me Carlton and Melbourne show up for family and friends reasons.

But I'd agree the mutual hatred thing probably isnt fully there for a proper rivalry. Not at least Gold Coast step up a bit more. Although some of the Zorko/Miller and Lynch and May stuff did start to build it

1. Collingwood

2. Port Adelaide

When we play the above two is the first thing I look for when the fixture comes out every single year.

I have dislikes for Giants, Saints and Cats at the moment but I would never consider them rivals like I consider the Pies and Power.

Does a rivalry exist if it is not reciprocated? I dont think we have any rivals as I doubt Port and Pies care about us as much as we care about them. I think the Suns could eventually become our rivals if they ever get good. Its a shame because GWS and Swans have a genuine rivalry building based on their geography, player trades and finals meet ups. Wish the Suns would lift their game. Would become instant rivals if they ever knocked us out of the finals

Does a rivalry exist if it is not reciprocated? I dont think we have any rivals as I doubt Port and Pies care about us as much as we care about them.

Strictly speaking no, though some say yes in their opinion, and the question was who we consider our biggest rivals.. The best rivalries are mutual, but a team can have multiple rivalries.

Strictly speaking no, though some say yes in their opinion, and the question was who we consider our biggest rivals.. The best rivalries are mutual, but a team can have multiple rivalries.

Fair point. To me it feels very hollow to have a rival that doesnt care about you as a rival. In the NFL sense Ravens-Steeler is a great rivalry of equal amounts respect and animosity with divisional and playoff history. Ravens-Browns is not as great because the Browns have been so historically bad that Ravens-Browns games haven't mattered as much for the Ravens as they did for the Browns but at least there is some mutual animosity there. Lions-Pies feels more like Bengals-Ravens type rivalry. One-sided and hollow.

On a personal note, I find it hard to get the energy up against Collingwood now that Buckley and Eddie are gone. They are just another big vic team now. On recent history, Geelong is probably more energy-producing given the closeness of recent home games, ladder position, J Duckwood, their flopping forward line, Gary Rohan/Jeremy Cameron being unlikeable and of course our PF loss.

If it has to be mutual eventually it would have to be the Suns as we are never going to be ousting the Crows from Port's psyche or the other big Vic clubs from the Pies or the Tigers ... sometimes I feel like there is a bit of the Freo's about the Suns where they don't truly believe they belong and get their identity from being not-the other rather then themselves.

In terms of just the teams we most get up for well Collingwood certainly and Richmond are up there ... Port and the Dogs get a look in ... the Sun nah not really - maybe if the umps respected them enough to leave them alone to sink or swim on their own we might start to develop something but for now they seem quite the cipher.

edit - and now part of me doesn't want Collingwood to do quite as badly due to Fly or Carlton due to Voss ... but I am sure I will get over it!

Lost the Collingwood hate a little now fat head is gone, sure I will get it back. Geelong- Duckwood, Cameron and Coach Scott 🤢, let alone getting stitched up by the umps every time we play them. But I enjoy beating no one more than Richmond these days- their supporters are just gross. Add in Lynch, Cotchin, Grimes, Vlaustin and Riewoldt carrying on like a goose along with the coach and you the perfect recipe for hatred.

Isn't a non-reciprocated rivalry just referred to as a bunny by the media these days? Outside the manufactured Q-Clash I don't think we have any specific rivalries, and even then I don't consider that a proper rivalry because we're comfortably leading the total wins in that one. Our current bunny now we've got Richmond's measure seems to be Melbourne. And maybe the doggies + umpires combo.

On that note, how's the irony of the AFL wanting to build the code in a rugby dominated state and its best strategy to do so was to pit QLD club fans against each other instead of binding together for the common good.

Isn't a non-reciprocated rivalry just referred to as a bunny by the media these days?
A bunny is a team you repeatedly beat or flog, often regardless of the relative form of the teams coming into the game.

Back