Paul Hunter

Traded;
Luke Dunstan

Retired;
Jake Carlisle
Dylan Roberton
Shaun McKernan
James Frawley

To see the full playing list list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 - Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 - Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2 – completion: Thursday November 25 (7pm - late)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday 6 December

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday 19 December - Sunday 9 January

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your position on the Greenwood one ultimately comes down to your view on loyalty and morals therein.

IMO AFL is a business for players and teams, that Greenwood found himself in a unique position and North offered him (substantially i believe) more money which he took is just smart business from a 29 year old who might not have much longer left in his career.

I think if any of us got offered way way more money to do the exact same job at another employer wed likely take it (or at least strongly consider it).
Yep and Greenwood has proved he has very little of both. I have no qualms about players testing the market and trying to talk up their price.

If Greenwood wanted to do that, all he had to do is say to GCS that he wants to test the market and GCS who would then make a decision based on contract offers and more importantly trade considerations.

But GCS only went ahead with the delisting based on Greenwood agreeing to the arrangement - and a day later Greenwood takes the North offer knowing full well that not only has he reneged on the deal he has screwed GCS in the process.

Ordinary.

Last edited:
There is an element of loyalty that I'd expect from Greenwood to not leave the Suns in the situation he was in, but I can also see that at the end of the day it's a business and quite frankly the Suns shouldn't have toyed with the risk involved in delisting one of your best midfielders. It's easy to see both sides. It was a ruthless move by North Melbourne and not one that makes many friends, but if they're in the business of doing whatever they can to be successful, you don't care what outsiders think and you make decisions that may not be popular but allow you to improve.

Ultimately Gold Coast are to blame, it was their decision to delist him.
North are luckily they’re irrelevant. The AFL would be fuming and not laughing if Geelong or Richmond or Melbourne had pulled a stunt like that

Yep and Greenwood has proved he has very little of both. I have no qualms about players testing the market and trying to talk up their price.

If Greenwood wanted to do that, all he had to do is say to GCS that he wants to test the market and GCS who would then make a decision based on contract offers and more importantly trade considerations.

But GCS only went ahead with the delisting based on Greenwood agreeing to the arrangement - and a day later Greenwood takes the North offer knowing full well that not only has he reneged on the deal he has screwed GCS in the process.

Ordinary.

I'm in the defending Greenwood camp. I think the writing was on the walls at GC anyway. They sheet number of young mids they need to get games into means he was likely to get phased out of the 22 sooner than later. There's a lot more to this that isn't public yet IMO. there must be a reason they were happy to risk losing Greenwood.

Miller, Swallow, Anderson, Rowell, Weller, Fiorini, Sharp, Davies, Hollands and this year's pick 5 (Hobbs?) and Uwland. That's a lot of good quality mids to get games into.

Ordinary.
If GC wanted him for 3 years they could have given him a 3 year contract too.

Your marriage is going along nicely, no issues. You suggest a divorce, with the idea to get back together later on.
Weird, but ok?
On the brief hiatus, the ex is seduced by a fitter, more charming and wealthy version of yourself. They’re smitten, you’ve lost them.
Who is at fault?

Nah it's more akin to your partner going to work and then getting seduced - there was no break except technically.

Based on this latest amateur hour BS, the offer should be 2022 & 2023 1sts with their 2022 2nd coming back.
Trading our 2022 first and getting their 2022 2nd will only be a one or two spots different in the draft. Doesn't see fair does it. ;)

Your marriage is going along nicely, no issues. You suggest a divorce, with the idea to get back together later on.
Weird, but ok?
On the brief hiatus, the ex is seduced by a fitter, more charming and wealthy version of yourself. They’re smitten, you’ve lost them.
Who is at fault?
So your saying George stole your misses

So your saying George stole your misses
Leave him, his analogies are just a way to express what he's feeling. He's crying out for help, which is fitting for the calcium deficient, jelly legged halfwit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make an agreement with a player and you'd expect the player to keep the agreement.

Greenwood wasn't a player who was delisted with the only expectation being that the his club MAY pick him up again if no one else offers him a better deal.

The only reason he was delisted in the first place is that he agreed to a process with GCS in full knowledge that he was going to be redrafted on the same contractual arrangement.

Agreement? What verbal? What fairly land are you living in?

He "was" going to be redrafted with the same contractual arrangement , but got a better offer.
All the time now clubs are expecting players to re-sign but they leave when they get a better offer.

I seem to remember that Tippett was quitting Adelaide to go home to Queensland, but suddenly found himself going to Sydney.

Gold Coast's actions are the result of their list situation, which is generously described as a mess. They have the longest list in the competition, yet even so, they have it almost completely full. On top of that, they're paying their list handsomely and so their salary cap is tight*. They are unable to reduce their list as all their players are contracted, so they are forced into the "rookie-list-manoeuvre" which then blows up in their face.

If they wanted to do the manoeuvre more "safely", i.e. the way everyone else does it, you de-list the bottom three players on your list. That's why Richmond did the manoeuvre with Biggie, and not a Prestia or a Martin (and I know the circumstances are different, but it illustrates my point). Making a player a delisted free agent can only invite him to take another offer if it's forthcoming, so best make sure the player is not going to attract an offer.

My understanding is that Greenwood did the honourable thing and advised GC of the offer he'd received, but they couldn't/wouldn't match because of the tightness of their salary cap. So I don't blame Greenwood for taking a better offer - especially not at what has to be the tail end of his career.

This whole fiasco sits at the feet of their list manager.

And for those who want to continually bemoan the incompetence of St Kilda , I think you'd have to agree we've never got ourselves so completely stuffed up.

* In fairness to the Suns, they would say that they are forced to pay their players handsomely in order to retain them, which is almost certainly true. One of their primary goals as an organisation must be to find ways to retain players without over-paying.

To us its a religion, to them (most) its a job

Of course you take the bigger pay day and job security over "loyalty"

Hell 40% of Americans are quitting their job for a change right now and Aus will see the same thing in 2022.

Be honest, if faced with 400k and nothing else vs 800k + maybe 1.2m of course you make that call.
Exactly. Interesting to see the same people labelling Liam Jones as "stupid" for "giving up $500k" aren't keeping that same energy with a player bettering his income...

If GC wanted him for 3 years they could have given him a 3 year contract too.
Did Greenwood ask for an extension before he agreed to the delisting plan?

If he did and it was knocked back then he has grounds to "explore the market", but that didn't happen.

He agreed to the plan, then got another offer, then reneged on the deal and screwed GCS in the process.

People can say good luck to him that doesn't change the fact that it was morally and ethically poor.

I've got more respect for Liam Jones!!!

Did Greenwood ask for an extension before he agreed to the delisting plan?

If he did and it was knocked back then he has grounds to "explore the market", but that didn't happen.

He agreed to the plan, then got another offer, then reneged on the deal and screwed GCS in the process.

People can say good luck to him that doesn't change the fact that it was morally and ethically poor.

I've got more respect for Liam Jones!!!
Also from what I’ve read (and let’s be clear, we are all speculating) north made him the offer, he was totally transparent with the Suns and they didn’t counter offer (because they couldn’t).

So his agreement to the delisting process kinda goes out the window when someone else offers him double or triple his current deal.

Weird, but ok?
Who is at fault?
Fault? Who’s the genius you mean 😃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back