The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
King Rd Brewery coming up today. Bad day to be a beer.
Down at a place called The Dam in Denmark, they make gin distilled from Hemp. They also have a hemp based brown ale (from Wilson's). Weird aftertaste, switched to the pale ale. Nice spot though.
IMG20211113161543.jpg

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Anyone gone to Pirate Life yet? Would want the food to be good coz their beers aren't that fantastic these days.
Reporting back. The bar is ok. It's not as big as I thought it would be. Obviously new so it was chockers. The down stairs was closed but the up stairs was open and looks out over the bar which is pretty cool. It's solid. The restaurant though is a show stopper. Probably the best steak I've had in Perth hands down. Wine list was very good, right up my alley. Wine list in the bar is s**t though. Service was sublime. Highly, highly recommend if you're into steak as half the menu is steak with epic sides like lobster mac n cheese etc

Reporting back. The bar is ok. It's not as big as I thought it would be. Obviously new so it was chockers. The down stairs was closed but the up stairs was open and looks out over the bar which is pretty cool. It's solid. The restaurant though is a show stopper. Probably the best steak I've had in Perth hands down. Wine list was very good, right up my alley. Wine list in the bar is sh*t though. Service was sublime. Highly, highly recommend if you're into steak as half the menu is steak with epic sides like lobster mac n cheese etc

Wow that's a glowing endorsement - will definitely head there for a steak then!

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Reporting back. The bar is ok. It's not as big as I thought it would be. Obviously new so it was chockers. The down stairs was closed but the up stairs was open and looks out over the bar which is pretty cool. It's solid. The restaurant though is a show stopper. Probably the best steak I've had in Perth hands down. Wine list was very good, right up my alley. Wine list in the bar is sh*t though. Service was sublime. Highly, highly recommend if you're into steak as half the menu is steak with epic sides like lobster mac n cheese etc

I love a good steak, but since learning how to reverse sear at home with charcoal I do struggle to pay someone else to cook my steak for me.

I love a good steak, but since learning how to reverse sear at home with charcoal I do struggle to pay someone else to cook my steak for me.

Very true. Especially when it cost 3-4 more times as much.

Wanna head down to get a bottle of Pirate Life's stout for my cellar collection.

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Very true. Especially when it cost 3-4 more times as much.

Wanna head down to get a bottle of Pirate Life's stout for my cellar collection.
If anything, go for the surf and turf. It’s expeno but you get a ripper steak of your choice with a whole lobster tail on top and it comes with a heap of condiments which I respect. The lobster tail was enormous as well. As big as the steak

So another year rolls by and Christmas is on the horizon, and yet again I haven't put aside money to buy a Beer Advent Calendar like I promised myself I would last year (and the year before etc...). Not shelling out $250 for one now and not getting an Aldi one either (NTTAWT), but despite that I realise I have 17 beers in my fridge I'm yet to try and decide I'm just going to buy another 8 and get my wife to put them in numbered brown paper bags for me to knock off one a day. So prepare yourself for daily pictures and reviews of beers that you never asked for!

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
So another year rolls by and Christmas is on the horizon, and yet again I haven't put aside money to buy a Beer Advent Calendar like I promised myself I would last year (and the year before etc...). Not shelling out $250 for one now and not getting an Aldi one either (NTTAWT), but despite that I realise I have 17 beers in my fridge I'm yet to try and decide I'm just going to buy another 8 and get my wife to put them in numbered brown paper bags for me to knock off one a day. So prepare yourself for daily pictures and reviews of beers that you never asked for!
Yeah they aren’t cheap! Bloody fun though. I know officeworks sells little tags you can wrap around the neck with lackey bands for like $10 for a pack of 100. Mane do custom ones so I’ve got one of those on the way. Cheapest they’ll do is $150 so it’s a fair whack even at the minimum. I’ve also ordered a Carwyn advent calendar coz it’s unique as *. Was $200ish from memory

Yeah they aren’t cheap! Bloody fun though. I know officeworks sells little tags you can wrap around the neck with lackey bands for like $10 for a pack of 100. Mane do custom ones so I’ve got one of those on the way. Cheapest they’ll do is $150 so it’s a fair whack even at the minimum. I’ve also ordered a Carwyn advent calendar coz it’s unique as fu**. Was $200ish from memory

One with breakfast and one with dinner!

Apr 10, 2011
south of the river
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham, 49ers & Scorchers
I bought the Carwyn Cellars one. Currently taking up valuable fridge space but pretty proud of myself for not peaking/giving into temptation of cracking some open.

It's those Garage Project beers, Marge! They won't let me. One quality brew after another, each one fresher and more brilliant than the last. If they only stumbled once - just gave us thirty minutes to ourselves! But they won't! They won't let me live!

FB_IMG_1637030477302.jpg
FB_IMG_1637030495720.jpg

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
It's those Garage Project beers, Marge! They won't let me. One quality brew after another, each one fresher and more brilliant than the last. If they only stumbled once - just gave us thirty minutes to ourselves! But they won't! They won't let me live!

View attachment 1281140View attachment 1281141

The GP bourbon BA stout with vanilla sounds real *ing good. And I'm sure I'll hear it is. But I can't be pursuing all these beers right now, and loading up on big, dumb imperial stouts on the eve of Summer just isn't wise, even though it'd sit cellared for years in my house anyway.

The GP bourbon BA stout with vanilla sounds real f*n good. And I'm sure I'll hear it is. But I can't be pursuing all these beers right now, and loading up on big, dumb imperial stouts on the eve of Summer just isn't wise, even though it'd sit cellared for years in my house anyway.

Need to stop following all these breweries on FB, getting serious FOMO and don't have the money to spend - on beers anyway.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Went to Bailey Brewing Co last weekend out in the swan valley, son had a laser tag party over the road so the rest of us went for an early lunch. Cool place, heaps of space for the kids, and they don’t allow party buses or hens or bucks groups, so it was very family friendly. Had a few good beers. Their hazy was ok, nothing on a Balter or a Biggie or the Boston Squeeze, but still good. Their red ale was very good though. Food was nice, quick service, good meals for the kids too. All in all was really good and will definitely go back at some stage.

Back