Father Son/ Academy Free Hits.

Remove this Banner Ad

The bolded part is already in place. As for removing the discount, I fully agree. There is no logical reason behind the discount existing when you are already getting to bundle up rubbish picks to get access to a higher pick. I'd even be fine with it going one step further and applying a 10-20% penalty on bid matching. If you want the player that bad, you should pay up
The bidding is a farce and rarely reflects the true value of a player with clubs reluctant to bid on players they know they will never land. Need an independent person to place them in a band could have picks 1-5, 6-10, 11- 20, 21-40 which determines the price the club must pay to acquire.

The big advantage Geelong got was being able to get Hawkins and Selwood in the same year. If the rules were changed a year earlier, Selwood wouldn't be a Geelong player
Yep, timing and luck just like most things in life. AFL rules always changing and evolving. Just got to hope your club benefits at the right time rather than suffers.

Scarlett from memory was never highly rated prior to the draft, Ablett was rated maybe a late 1st round pick in the 2001 super draft. Hawkins was widely regarded as the number 1 pick though
wasn't the jury out on GAJ.
Fairly sure no one predicted he'd be as good as he was.

Most of those games for Hawthorn weren't actually played for Hawthorn

Steven Greene 42
Travis Tuck 20
Josh Kennedy 13
Finn Maginness 3

Unless it is going way back to John Kennedy's 241

We did at least take Mitchell as revenge for Kennedy

I just ripped the data off Wikipedia, looks like it's not even up to date with 2021 games.

wasn't the jury out on GAJ.
Fairly sure no one predicted he'd be as good as he was.
Even his first couple of years weren't special. A pretty bog standard HFFer until the senior guys challenged him, he had one huge pre-season and just blew the comp away.

Melbourne is the same. We have had 1 decent father son (Viney) in about 30 years. And our only NGA product (Mac Andrew) was stolen due to the Dogs getting unfairly gifted (yet again) a number 1 draft pick last year. I guess we just have to suck it up. it's not an even competition, it never has been. And we have one of the most compromised drafts of any sport in the world.

Crows rookie listen Ben Jarman and Jackson Edwards for a combined total of 0 games and they probably only got rookie listed in the first place because of their surnames - still yet to take a father/son in the national draft

Ironically Port Adelaide's only father/son to play AFL footy thus far was Ebert who technically, but no one realised because of how stupid that concept would have been, wasn't actually eligible to be taken F/S at the time of his drafting -

Ebert not eligible was pretty funny, if he wasnt then we had no chance of getting any F/S picks. After all that the Melb clubs got full use of F/S and priority picks to build up there lists lol.

Gibbs was very unlucky as well.

Most of those games for Hawthorn weren't actually played for Hawthorn

Steven Greene 42
Travis Tuck 20
Josh Kennedy 13
Finn Maginness 3

Unless it is going way back to John Kennedy's 241

We did at least take Mitchell as revenge for Kennedy
The data does seem strange. It looks like it's included Josh Kennedy's Sydney games while excluding Brett Peake's saints games for Freo.

So it appears Hawks have the worse FS selections of the Melbourne teams.

Statistically, you are correct

ClubTotalAverage
Geelong
1233​
94.85​
Collingwood
962​
60.13​
Essendon
743​
106.14​
Western Bulldogs
722​
90.25​
Richmond
640​
80.00​
West Coast
549​
91.50​
Carlton
533​
53.30​
Fitzroy/Brisbane
314​
78.50​
Hawthorn
308​
77.00​
Sydney
251​
50.20​
Melbourne
220​
36.67​
Port Adelaide
166​
41.50​
North Melbourne
140​
35.00​
St Kilda
104​
34.67​
Fremantle
75​
75.00​
Adelaide
0​
0.00​
Oh, we are not last on that list. Forgot about Brett Peake...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F/S picks depend on your clubs recruit development programs as do all your recruits. If your club has been poor for the last 30 years then how good have your development progams been? Should you have expected kids to play without mentoring or competent training? How many kids have been wasted?

That’s not a coincidence. The rules basically were changed because of Hawkins.
Yeah same as the rules changed about NGA's because of Ugle-Hagan.

The AFL reacts after 1 team gets a massive advantage from the rules they set

is it a coincidence that the dogs supporters are extremely quiet in this thread? lol. everyone has been spot on thus far. Rules were changed with Hawkins and Ugle-Hagan after the AFL identified that too much of an advantage had been given. But as others have pointed out. The damage has been done. I'm filthy we don't get Mac Andrew. That's a decade of a good player just because the AFL decided to further advantage the dogs by changing the rules in a year when they don't have a first round NGA player but multiple clubs do, like us and stkilda.

is it a coincidence that the dogs supporters are extremely quiet in this thread? lol. everyone has been spot on thus far. Rules were changed with Hawkins and Ugle-Hagan after the AFL identified that too much of an advantage had been given. But as others have pointed out. The damage has been done. I'm filthy we don't get Mac Andrew. That's a decade of a good player just because the AFL decided to further advantage the dogs by changing the rules in a year when they don't have a first round NGA player but multiple clubs do, like us and stkilda.

Given your side has Luke Jackson did the Demons really need Mac Andrew though?

Meh they can never win and no one will ever be happy.

Current rules are more than fine. Clubs have to pay a premium.

The one thing I’ll say is tht id remove the discount for first rounders, and top 5 picks should be open market. If the club wants that said player they will have to organise a trade

Meh they can never win and no one will ever be happy.

Current rules are more than fine. Clubs have to pay a premium.

The one thing I’ll say is tht id remove the discount for first rounders, and top 5 picks should be open market. If the club wants that said player they will have to organise a trade
I would also add you have to at least use a pick within 18 picks or a full round to start the matching process

Remove this Banner Ad

Back