No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just dumped a good chunk of salary off their cap and helped reduce their list size by giving away an unwanted contracted player
If they wanted to be rid of him, wouldn't trading him beforehand for something have been a better result?

If they wanted to be rid of him, wouldn't trading him beforehand for something have been a better result?

Yup - not a single story about this isn't from the 'WTF are the Suns doing' angle. Something tells me this wasn't a shrewd salary dump.

I understand that would be the positive spin from the Suns' perspective. Whether this is what they actually wanted to have happen is the big question though. As it stands - 100% of the coverage regarding this is suggesting that Gold Coast are a clownshow.
Because they are.

I understand that would be the positive spin from the Suns' perspective. Whether this is what they actually wanted to have happen is the big question though. As it stands - 100% of the coverage regarding this is suggesting that Gold Coast are a clownshow.

Now that's an insult to Clowns. GCS are in a league of their own

Clubs would have to take on his salary plus a pick in a trade or the other scenario Suns take on part of his salary and get a late pick which they have no interest in using, this way they can dump him and not have to contribute to his salary, which is important for their tight cap.

Assuming he is being honest here, I applaud the candour.

It is refreshing - he had amusingly painted himself into a bit of a corner with his tweet earlier in the week though.

Clubs would have to take on his salary plus a pick in a trade or the other scenario Suns take on part of his salary and get a late pick which they have no interest in using, this way they can dump him and not have to contribute to his salary, which is important for their tight cap.

There isn’t a single outlet running with this narrative. I get that the AFL media isn’t filled with the best and brightest - but the stories are almost universal in condemnation or bewilderment. If it was the salary dump you’re speculating - that story would have gotten out. Instead, these are just some of the headlines.

BCCF12A8-0047-4F14-B29F-E206DD59F639.jpeg 06D1B3DC-112E-40FB-9CAF-BEF49E812079.jpeg 20A0D1F4-4AA2-4CDB-A284-AA814A6E02E2.jpeg E44D590A-A300-4E1A-A2E6-92D2E4C6BFF5.jpeg 5B76E480-D8A8-4299-AD99-81206B57B7E2.jpeg D5FA3B67-0EBB-4B02-AF71-A4427B89505E.jpeg

The overwhelming chorus on the Suns board is a similar story.

There isn’t a single outlet running with this narrative. I get that the AFL media isn’t filled with the best and brightest - but the stories are almost universal in condemnation or bewilderment. If it was the salary dump you’re speculating - that story would have gotten out. Instead, these are just some of the headlines.

View attachment 1281463View attachment 1281464View attachment 1281465View attachment 1281466View attachment 1281467View attachment 1281468

I'm not saying thats what happened, I just speculated that it would be a smart way to dump a contracted player

View attachment 1281463View attachment 1281464View attachment 1281465View attachment 1281466View attachment 1281467View attachment 1281468

Playing devils advocate here, but if I’m the suns I don’t want people to know this is a salary cap dump and that they erred in recruiting him only 12 months ago or that they are so tight in the cap that they need to shed players. Imagine the rush on their young talent if it was public knowledge they can’t hold onto players due to cap issues.

Anybody else reckon Liam Jones is a massive show to roll down his arm early next year, start training and beg for a chance in the MSD. Once he sees what an average Joe paycheck looks like, i have a feeling he will become far less principled. Just a theory. Anyway

The Suns have a board?

Why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing devils advocate here, but if I’m the suns I don’t want people to know this is a salary cap dump and that they erred in recruiting him only 12 months ago or that they are so tight in the cap that they need to shed players. Imagine the rush on their young talent if it was public knowledge they can’t hold onto players due to cap issues.

Fair call, however delisting 3 senior players with the intention to re-rookie is a pretty big signal that you’ve absolutey got cap constraints - so if subtlety was their intention then, as always, Gold Coast have botched that also.

Can someone explain the Greenwood thing to me from a North perspective?

Adding a 29 year old midfielder coming off a pretty decent knee injury to go with the stacked midfield that is about to add the number 1 pick as well...

I know he can play forward but you add this to the Phillips pick last year and it feels like they are just building a team like i would on 2k... Just add talent no matter what way it fits and hope it works out

I'm guessing Cunnington and Greenwood will be the solid bodies for the developing talent. Cunnington has had persistent injury issues over the last few years too, so I expect it's more about coverage than adding a senior player to push for finals.

Adding a 29 year old midfielder coming off a pretty decent knee injury to go with the stacked midfield that is about to add the number 1 pick as well...

I know he can play forward but you add this to the Phillips pick last year and it feels like they are just building a team like i would on 2k... Just add talent no matter what way it fits and hope it works out
Greenwood is the number 1 tackler in the comp. Something that young midfielders who have only ever been the star ball magnet are often weak at. He is there to do the defensive heavy lifting so they don't get exposed and set the example.

Crowley did this for Freo with a young fyfe. James MacDonald at GWS.

If it were intentional gold coast would make sure that it leaks to the press. It clearly wasn't and they absolutely couldn't have traded him if they wanted to.

What I don't get is - if this is a stuff up by GCS - why they didn't just make the same deal but with their worst three players, instead of including one whom might be picked up by another club?

The reality is they will need to replace Goldstein at some point the next couple of years. This is the area I can see them targeting at the draft if they were smart. Having said that they haven't bothered to bolster that area in years and the rucks they do get they trade off. Goldstein can't play forever but there seemingly attached at the hip with him. Still a good Ruck but he is past his peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back