Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Yes, I had the same feelings. I think my grandson sensed when I got a bit teary because every time he looked at me, put his hands on my cheeks and then gave me a hug.

Adding to this. I have just watched the telecast that I had recorded.

As the family is putting the coffin in the hearse you can hear a child in the background. I am pretty confident that is my grandson. Good one Ollie.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Excellent service for Russell, very tastefully done. and some humorous anecdotes from both Peter Woite and Max James, but I don't think that pic corresponds with the Darrell Cahill story as he doesn't appear to be in it.

Yes, the dark haired bloke next to Jack in that picture is in 'the Darrell Cahill position' as described by Max, but that's definitely not him. It's the 1977 team photo, but the one in the Archives Collection only lists the premiership team 20, not all the players in the photo. Maybe DC was off playing golf that day.

Yes, the dark haired bloke next to Jack in that picture is in 'the Darrell Cahill position' as described by Max, but that's definitely not him. It's the 1977 team photo, but the one in the Archives Collection only lists the premiership team 20, not all the players in the photo. Maybe DC was off playing golf that day.
Re watching Peter Woite video (7 on their twitter account has split up the speeches to individual tweets) he said it was at the of the 1974 season.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I reckon that `dark haired bloke' is Tony Hannan.

It is the 1977 team photo. Geoff Blethyn is the giveaway.

When I was a young fella, I had a 1974 or 75 team photo as a poster on my wall. Don't remember any untoward body parts on display in that one 😂

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It is the 1977 team photo. Geoff Blethyn is the giveaway.

When I was a young fella, I had a 1974 or 75 team photo as a poster on my wall. Don't remember any untoward body parts on display in that one 😂

Agreed, Blethyn helps to date that pic to 1977, John Spry wouldn't have been in the 1974 or 75 photo either.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Really related to Timmy Ginever growing up in the 70's and idolising Russell Ebert, he was everything to a kid who loved the Magpies. Timmy (unlike myself) was obviously an outstanding footballer and got to live out his dream playing with and being coached by his idol. Worked with Russell for years at the Power as well so really felt for Timmy Ginever today thought he did an outstanding job under really difficult circumstances.

May 31, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
The speeches were outstanding in their tribute to russell and covered so well his life from the mallee/murray to his community work.

What were the family values handed down from his father that Russell lived by?

* Do at least one good deed to someone everyday,

* Speak when spoken to,

* You learn a lot more from listening than you do from talking,

* Never take anything for granted,

* Always visit the elderly and disadvantaged as often as possible.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
What were the family values handed down from his father that Russell lived by?
I recall these 2

Do at least one good deed a day.
You learn more by listening than talking.

Then there was one that talked about helping those less fortunate than yourself.

Edit: Should’ve waited for REH 😎

I finally found the adages during Bill Ebert's speech.

Thanks RussellEbertHandball
No worries. I watched Bill's speech yesterday and knew it was near the end, just before he said he will miss the quarter to six phone calls every Thursday from Russell.

My great great uncle used to live right next door to the Savings Bank of SA branch at Royal Park. Russell used to work there in his early playing days. My great great uncle used to bank there of course. They struck up a friendship although he was in his 80’s and Russell was young. During his lunch breaks Russell would go next door, mow his lawns, cook meals, do his shopping etc etc. Every medal he won, even when he’d stopped working next door, he would call in and show my great great uncle.

A beautiful man. A great man, a great human - Vale 🥲
Max James mentioned your great great uncle Charlie and Russell's friendship in his speech. He gave details of this story and the one where he helped out Jim the Snip a local identity in Port Adelaide who would give players free haircuts, but fell into tough times and Russell gave him emotional and financial support to get him out of his troubles, as examples of where Russell went well above the norm to help people out, but never made a big deal of it.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Max James mentioned your great great uncle Charlie and Russell's friendship in his speech. He gave details of this story and the one where he helped out Jim the Snip a local identity in Port Adelaide who would give players free haircuts, but fell into tough times and Russell gave him emotional and financial support to get him out of his troubles, as examples of where Russell went well above the norm to help people out, but never made a big deal of it.

Jim the Snip "Doco"

Jim the Snip "Doco"

Thanks for that. I forgot his name but now remember being told about this amazing hairdresser character down in Semaphore in the early 1980's when I was a teenager, who used to drink beer whilst cutting and styling hair, by a member of one of the club's coterie group members, who used to sell linen to my mother. He also told me about Russell being a wild lad in his early days, and he told me the breaking into the Port Club bar in the early 70's with a couple of other players over a weekend story, that has been repeated a few times since Russell passed away.

Last edited:

DaKids

All Australian
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thank you so much for relating this, I’m very grateful.

Back