Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Ned Long is now measured at 195cm and 92kgs yet still ran the 3rd fastest time (6:05) in the 2km time trial. Patrick Crips clone anyone? If we don’t get Johnson, I hope we find a way to pick up this lad. And, while I’m out shopping, I’ll have Paul Curtis as well.
Is Long a FWD or MID, or can play both?

Media concentrates on the early picks when giving a (somewhat pointless) assesment of winners and losers after the draft.

hindsight tells it’s how clubs use later picks and develop them that’s the difference

there are standout individuals after the fact, but they are almost never picked first in their draft.

contrast that with US sports (where we copied the policy from) where draftees are already developed at college level.

Media concentrates on the early picks when giving a (somewhat pointless) assesment of winners and losers after the draft.

PUNDIT DECLARES DRAFT WINNER! THEY CHOSE PLAYERS I LIKED, SAYS RANDOM SCRIBE

PUNDIT DECLARES DRAFT WINNER! THEY CHOSE PLAYERS I LIKED, SAYS RANDOM SCRIBE
PUNDIT PREDICTS DRAFT HAUL FOR CLUB!

IN the two weeks leading up to the draft, said pundit posted nearly 40 different draft selections and combinations, one of which coincided with the actual selections made by said club. Pundit was overjoyed and won the internet...

Ned Long is now measured at 195cm and 92kgs yet still ran the 3rd fastest time (6:05) in the 2km time trial. Patrick Crips clone anyone? If we don’t get Johnson, I hope we find a way to pick up this lad. And, while I’m out shopping, I’ll have Paul Curtis as well.

I think Cripps would be lucky to get within 45 seconds of that time at the same age

Pretty solidly a mid who can play forward. More of a MID/fwd than a fair split, but that's because his ball winning and running is so good that he can push up and down the ground.
A mid? Highlights showed him as a fwd for mine. A mid at that size speed endurance...how is he not top 10?

A mid? Highlights showed him as a fwd for mine. A mid at that size speed endurance...how is he not top 10?
He was injured 3 games into the season, meaning he has played 5 games in two years. He had good games as a mid, but again only 5 in two years. Same as with Sam Banks, who I think we should be trying to pick up in the 3rd or 4th round.

I haven't seen any vision of Long so I can't comment but draft watchers seem to think his acceleration is a weakness and his kicking is average. Only played three games but the stats were fairly impressive.

Davo-27 I know you're a fan, what is his speed like?

Biggest regret at 2020 draft? Not getting Nik Cox. Very happy with DGB though
Will Mac Andrew be the 2021 version?
It's too early to have regrets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure. Didn't make it into the Rookie Me draft guide though.

Edit: NGA kid. Don't know anything about him as a player though.
He’s a junior decathlete. I’ve been monitoring him in the NGA thread.,

Sounds good in theory… but what happens if one of them doesn’t pan out or still wants to move home in a few year? Do you risk losing both of them?
The fact they’re even contemplating selecting a player to keep another one means they know Callaghan is a flight risk.

I haven't seen any vision of Long so I can't comment but draft watchers seem to think his acceleration is a weakness and his kicking is average. Only played three games but the stats were fairly impressive.

Davo-27 I know you're a fan, what is his speed like?

his kicking in contests can be average but in front of goal he is pretty accurate and in space he is good, he can be deceptively quick at times, but is probably averaged pace most of the time, he was a level above his opponents and team mates alike when he played, some other draft watchers had him in their top 20s when he was fit and playing, they dropped him because he got injured and didnt play, some dropped him out of their lists entirely, although injuries can ruin careers so its understandable.

Based on Twomey's comments, my guess is that we want Ward with pick 5(7) and will look to make a trade with another club if Johnson is still available at a certain pick in the teens.

If that's the case, would we entertain the idea of trading our future first to get Johnson?

A draft haul of Ward, Johnson, Taylor and Clarke is definitely enticing. Add those 4 to our current crop of youth and things aren't looking too bad.

Based on Twomey's comments, my guess is that we want Ward with pick 5(7) and will look to make a trade with another club if Johnson is still available at a certain pick in the teens.

If that's the case, would we entertain the idea of trading our future first to get Johnson?

A draft haul of Ward, Johnson, Taylor and Clarke is definitely enticing. Add those 4 to our current crop of youth and things aren't looking too bad.

Sam Mitchell has made it clear that he wants players with elite traits. At pick 5 Ward doesn’t really fit that criteria other than having a huge tank. He will no doubt be a fine player but I think we will aim at picking a player at with some X factor eg Andrew, Erusmus, Rochelle, Sinn of our number one target Callaghan - Which will require an upgrade on 5

Sam Mitchell has made it clear that he wants players with elite traits. At pick 5 Ward doesn’t really fit that criteria other than having a huge tank. He will no doubt be a fine player but I think we will aim at picking a player at with some X factor eg Andrew, Erusmus, Rochelle, Sinn of our number one target Callaghan - Which will require an upgrade on 5
Imagine landing Rachelle, trading back in & landing Sinn, then 2 of Butler, Clarke, Long or Taylor?

Imagine landing Rachelle, trading back in & landing Sinn, then 2 of Butler, Clarke, Long or Taylor?
I’m not a fan mainly because I believe we should be after midfielders. Rachelle may be a midfielder but looks a forward and will be one for a couple of years minimum. Sinn looks a HBFer, but may develop to be a wing.

It’s why I’m on the Hobbs train. With Ward or Erasmus as a back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back