News New Sponsor - Hungry Jack's

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I don't want to be a karen about this, but I'm fundamentally opposed to fast food chains sponsoring sporting clubs.

And free burgers for long goals is just ridiculous
Nah you're not being a Karen. The only reason fast food chains sponsor sport is because they think that if people associate them with healthy activities, they won't think about how unhealthy their food is. They've been pulling this s**t for decades and it's always been gross.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't want to be a karen about this, but I'm fundamentally opposed to fast food chains sponsoring sporting clubs.

Better than free burgers for goals from the goal square. We'd have people calling for the return of Josh Jenkins.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah you're not being a Karen. The only reason fast food chains sponsor sport is because they think that if people associate them with healthy activities, they won't think about how unhealthy their food is. They've been pulling this sh*t for decades and it's always been gross.
Definitely a Karen. Just a more socially palatable one than some others floating about. But then apparently my first full sentence as a bub was "It takes two hands to handle a whopper" so maybe I'm biased?

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Definitely a Karen. Just a more socially palatable one than some others floating about. But then apparently my first full sentence as a bub was "It takes two hands to handle a whopper" so maybe I'm biased?
How does that make a person a Karen? Nobody is saying you can't eat their food. Just pointing out the sleaziness of their marketing tactics.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Used to be that if a "Whopper Goal" was kicked on the weekend, you'd just rock up to HJ's on Monday, show a ticket/member pass and BAM free whopper. Every now and then they'd chuck the cheese in for free, too.

Now you need the app downloaded, open it up after the big screen designates a goal as a "Whopper goal", a free whopper notification comes up, save it, then redeem your free whopper via the app at HJ's on "Whopper Wednesday". I think you need to save it before the game ends (or soon after) because it disappears. Only one per person per game.

Bit of a rigmarole. But, hey, beggars can't be choosers. At least they are liberal with what constitutes a "Whopper Goal" - I've seen them given for important late goals, tough ones from the boundary, etc.

I am yet to successfully execute this free Whopper under the new system. Took me half a season to realise I needed the app, I forget to save it most of the time after the goal and on the few occasions I have got my ducks in a row I've forgotten all about it by the Wednesday.

Hopefully this post has given you the inside running to hit a perfect 11 of 11 Whoppers next season. Godspeed.

Last edited:
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Used to be that if a "Whopper Goal" was kicked on the weekend, you'd just rock up to HJ's on Monday, show a ticket/member pass and BAM free whopper. Every now and then they'd chuck the cheese in for free, too.

Now you need the app downloaded, open it up after the big screen designates a goal as a "Whopper goal", a free whopper notification comes up, save it, then redeem your free whopper via the app at HJ's on "Whopper Wednesday". I think you need to save it before the game ends (or soon after) because it disappears. Only one per person per game.

Bit of a rigmarole. But, hey, beggars can't be choosers. At least they are liberal with what constitutes a "Whopper Goal" - I've seen them given for important late goals, tough ones from the boundary, etc.

I am yet to successfully execute this free Whopper under the new system. Took me half a season to realise I needed the app, I forget to save it most of the time after the goal and on the few occasions I have got my ducks in a row I've forgotten all about it by the Wednesday.

Hopefully this post has given you the iside running to hit a perfect 11 of 11 Whoppers next season. Godspeed.
I like how a dude who calls himself SloppyJoe is in here telling us how to win free burgers.

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings

We're also sponsored by three alcohol companies, a soft drink company and a pie maker.

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just putting it out there. The Hungry Jacks new coffee is not terrible.
Much worse then previous ones . Bought one on a number of occasions in the beginning and the new Jacks coffee machines are automated frothers and can’t make proper froth for a late or cappuccino. Always some runny s**t .

Godallblighty

Premiership Player
May 17, 2010
Hanging Rock
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jack Cowin bought the master franchise to bring Burger King to Australia in the 70s. There was already a Burger King trademarked in Australia so he chose another one the parent company had available, Hungry Jack's (a pancake mix).

BK tried to force him out in the late 90s, he sued them into oblivion and remains the head honcho today.
As a kid in the early 70s, I lived in Forestville. Hungry Jacks opened up at the end of our street on the corner of Anzac Highway, next to Le Cornu carpets. Was that the first one? I was pretty excited about it and the whopper did seem huge. I remember my mum putting it on a dinner plate and there was not a lot of room around the edges.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Karens get overly upset about things that really don’t deserve it.

Us adding a sponsor that sells burgers fits that criteria from my POV.
Overly upset? Because I pointed out something I find distasteful in a perfectly calm manner. :think:

Karen doesn't just mean anybody who says something you disagree with.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
As a kid in the early 70s, I lived in Forestville. Hungry Jacks opened up at the end of our street on the corner of Anzac Highway, next to Le Cornu carpets. Was that the first one? I was pretty excited about it and the whopper did seem huge. I remember my mum putting it on a dinner plate and there was not a lot of room around the edges.
Wasnt it South Rd or Marion Rd that opened first? In Sturt - nope Everard Pk

Last edited:
Cracks me up how fast food companies are still trying to divert attention away from their unhealthy food by sponsoring sport.
Once every year or two, I will have Whopper with Cheese minus pickles.

It reminds me of a simpler time when I was at school. Actually would smash two of these.:$

Mind you at school, we played footy,before, during and after school. :think:

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Once every year or two, I will have Whopper with Cheese minus pickles.

It reminds me of a simpler time when I was at school. Actually would smash two of these.:$

Mind you at school, we played footy,before, during and after school. :think:
Yeah a whopper at the end of a drunken night on the way back from a party is something I've done plenty of times. Hits the spot, soaks up the alcohol.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Yep you are correct . Everard Pk was first in Adelaide

Back