paran

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2007
West Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Washington Redskins
I think the question is whether the costs of running the reserves are part of the football department soft cap, which was what was killing us, particularly with the license fee.

I assume they are part of the soft cap because that’s a matter for the AFL, not the WAFL. But has it been reported what the license fee will be under this new deal?

Correct. Freo don't have this because Peel isn't part of their ownership.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Agreed, apparently we can sign one from each club that isn't listed in the other clubs best 37. Max Chipper type is perfect, sign for Beagles and if he develops later we've had a really good look at him.

Should be a few like this:

Chipper - SD
Regan - EP
Farmer - Subiaco
McVee - E.Freo
Stretch - Claremont
Paton - West Perth (although I think he'll probably be drafted)

Can't think of a Perth, South Freo or Peel example but these would be some handy acquisitions if we could land them.

Could work well if we get an LTI and we can draft some players like we did last year with Collins and West.

Some of West Coast best player development and skills coaching was done when Robbie Wiley was in charge of these two important areas.

Very pleased to hear of this appointment.

Side Note: for those of you that are wondering if Angus Sheldrick’s game will transfer to the next level, Robbie Wiley is a massive fan of the Angus Burger.
He coached him at Christ Church and said he was one of the most coachable kids that he had ever coached.
Was also a big rap for Angus ability to transitioning to AFL, as he mentioned that it’s hard to teach players to have a hunger for the contest to win the hard ball, you either have it or you don’t.

Sheldrick has it in spades.

paran

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2007
West Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Washington Redskins
Some of West Coast best player development and skills coaching was done when Robbie Wiley was in charge of these two important areas.

Very pleased to hear of this appointment.

Side Note: for those of you that are wondering if Angus Sheldrick’s game will transfer to the next level, Robbie Wiley is a massive fan of the Angus Burger.
He coached him at Christ Church and said he was one of the most coachable kids that he had ever coached.
Was also a big rap for Angus ability to transitioning to AFL, as he mentioned that it’s hard to teach players to have a hunger for the contest to win the hard ball, you either have it or you don’t.

Sheldrick has it in steaks.
+1
FTFY

wooshwhisperer

Senior List
Sep 13, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
West Perth - Arena Joondalup
Subiaco - Leederville Oval
East Perth - Leederville Oval
Perth - Lathlain
South Fremantle - Fremantle Oval
East Fremantle - WACA in East Perth

Makes perfect sense
After East Freo go home in 2 years time the WACA will be desperate for a permanent WAFL team... makes sense East Perth return to East Perth. Would also make sense to move Subi for a season or 2 and bulldoze Leederville.

After East Freo go home in 2 years time the WACA will be desperate for a permanent WAFL team... makes sense East Perth return to East Perth. Would also make sense to move Subi for a season or 2 and bulldoze Leederville.

Why would you bulldoze Leederville ?

I have played on all the WAFL grounds multiple times, bare Joondallup ( South Geraldton ) and what ever the * they call where Peel play ( North Bunbury ).

I know that sort of ages me......................... but then again most things do these days. :handpointup:

BUT in my day the best surface and oval to play on was Leederville, I played significantly more games at Claremont Oval, but I always though that Leederville was the best........and yes .......... better to play on than Subiaco Oval... and by some measure.

Jul 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, West Perth
Joondallup ( South Geraldton ) and what ever the **** they call where Peel play ( North Bunbury ).
Drive north for twenty minutes from Joondalup and you're still in Perth. There's been a whole lot of development up near places like Alkimos in recent years. Hell, the Mitchell Freeway is about to be extended out there. Won't be long and Joondalup will be further from the edge of Perth's suburbs than the CBD, especially once places like Yanchep inevitably start expanding.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I think the question is whether the costs of running the reserves are part of the football department soft cap, which was what was killing us, particularly with the license fee.

I assume they are part of the soft cap because that’s a matter for the AFL, not the WAFL. But has it been reported what the license fee will be under this new deal?

600K mate

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Why would you bulldoze Leederville ?

I have played on all the WAFL grounds multiple times, bare Joondallup ( South Geraldton ) and what ever the **** they call where Peel play ( North Bunbury ).

I know that sort of ages me......................... but then again most things do these days. :handpointup:

BUT in my day the best surface and oval to play on was Leederville, I played significantly more games at Claremont Oval, but I always though that Leederville was the best........and yes .......... better to play on than Subiaco Oval... and by some measure.

Leederville was the best I agree but it needs serious work now. Has to much traffic and drainage at all grounds is an issue. Bassendean probs the best surface right now.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Good news the Beagles are back.

BUT FFS THE WORST LIVES UP TO THEIR NAME WITH THE STUPID ******* PAYWALL

Can someone please post the article?

West Coast Eagles agree to remain in in WAFL for next three years

West Coast will be able to recruit one player from every WAFL club and will play five home games at Mineral Resources Park as part of an agreement to remain in the State league for the next three seasons.

Greater fixturing flexibility will also applied next season so that the Eagles are not required to field AFL and WAFL teams at the same time.

It could see them playing night home games at Lathlain under the competition’s only adequate lighting.

The WA Football Commission finalised arrangements with West Coast on Wednesday after a tumultuous month saw the Eagles withdraw their reserves team from the competition before they were forced to renege on that decision when no other club proved willing to host their interstate players.

West Coast will pay a $600,000 licence fee to remain in the competition though the payment will not be tied to the dividend provided to WAFL clubs.

WAFC chairman Wayne Martin confirmed the new arrangements had been agreed and claimed it would provide a win for all parties after WAFL clubs proved willing to provide recruiting concessions to the Eagles.

“Our desire has always been for West Coast to have a stand-alone side, providing the integrity of the WAFL competition is maintained and it supports the development of AFL-listed players,” Martin said.

“Having a competitive West Coast team in our State league continues to present the exciting opportunity to enhance our competition, both on and off the field.”

West Coast’s recruiting capacity will be virtually identical to other clubs except that they will be limited to signing only one player outside the list of 37 protected players.

Martin said it was hoped West Coast would become a permanent member of the competition.

“We want the Eagles to be a part of the WAFL competition as long as their AFL team exists,” he said.

“These new terms allow for a sustained participation in the State league competition.

“Clearly, the global pandemic has created a need for some change within the agreement.”

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
WAFL 2021: Inaugural AFL player Rob Wiley to coach West Coast Eagles from 2022

Inaugural West Coast player Rob Wiley will extend his relationship with the club to nearly four decades after agreeing to coach the Eagles’ WAFL team next season.

The Australian Football Hall of Famer was appointed on Thursday a day after the WA Football Commission confirmed West Coast’s licence as the WAFL’s 10th team.

Wiley, 66, is expected to coach for the club’s initial three-year term but said those details were still to be confirmed.

It will be his third stint as a WAFL coach after periods at his original club Perth (1988-89) and East Fremantle (2016-18).

He also was an assistant coach at West Coast and Carlton after a brilliant playing career that saw him win premierships at Perth and Richmond and play for the Eagles in their first season in 1987.

“You never know what football will throw up,” Wiley said.

“I was planning to coach young men at Christ Church next year but now I will be coaching young men at West Coast.

“West Coast have been very close to my heart and to be able to go back and use my experience to help them is very exciting.”

Wiley was approached last week but West Coast had to wait for the other WAFL clubs and WAFC to approve their bid to stay in the league.

West Coast do not have any players, apart from their AFL cohort, with recruiting expected to ramp up in the coming weeks.

They are allowed to recruit one player from every club who is outside the protected 37 list and can sign any delisted AFL player who spent at least four years at the club.

But recently delisted players Brendan Ah Chee (South Fremantle) and Mark Hutchings (West Perth) have already committed to their original WAFL clubs.

Wiley said it was premature to predict the fate of his team next season but hoped it would be competitive.

“It is about development of the players and part of my role will be mentoring the club’s young coaches,” he said.

“I can’t throw any light on the playing squad but it is important that they are competitive, learning and preparing to step up the next level.”

wirra44

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Force,WAWarriors,SA Spurs
What do they mean by the protected 37 players? Each wafl team can choose 37 players on the list we can’t touch ? Or the teams choose 4 players each on there list we can’t touch?

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
What do they mean by the protected 37 players? Each wafl team can choose 37 players on the list we can’t touch ? Or the teams choose 4 players each on there list we can’t touch?

Every WAFL club has 37 protected players. The Eagles can not recruit any of them. WAFL clubs are not going to allow the Eagles to recruit their best players to play against them.
It's a bit like how the Brisbane Bears were set up, each club will give you access to players they don't want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back