Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Not what I asked for and you know it.

It's OK to not want to bring him in, but there's no need to be deliberately obtuse.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
A ruckman? We are planning our list management needs based on a possible growth spurt?

If we know he has had that growth spurt and is currently 196+, great, if not, I would be looking elsewhere
Now you are just being obtuse. To what end I am unsure. Any semi informed draft watcher and list management student is totally aware that a Cat B rookie is a free hit and has no relevance on other list numbers. Akuei has natural physical traits not found in many or any of our list. The fact that he can offer effective rucking capability, even in the under age comp is in itself a massive bonus. He does not have to become a ruckman or even a KPD to be an effective player.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Now you are just being obtuse. To what end I am unsure. Any semi informed draft watcher and list management student is totally aware that a Cat B rookie is a free hit and has no relevance on other list numbers. Akuei has natural physical traits not found in many or any of our list. The fact that he can offer effective rucking capability, even in the under age comp is in itself a massive bonus. He does not have to become a ruckman or even a KPD to be an effective player.

Another calling me obtuse, interesting

Let's do this another way, given you are an advocate for Josh Cripps, if there was 1 spot left on out list, would you take Cripos or Akeui?

Show me where I have been obtuse? I detailed a response as to why I would look elsewhere which even included players who would be better options for the role

Follow the conversation...

Not particularly relevant, he's a likely free hit as a Cat B rookie.

What's the downside?

It actually is relevant, there are others, spine players, that would also be free hits.

It's not as if he is a highly touted talent and despite the athleticism, it's about his football ability.

Unless we were cutting one of the likes of Parks, Marchbank, Kemp, Gov, all of which could play his role, I would be looking at our actual needs

Name one competing for the same spot as a Cat B rookie

I already have

Where? Must have missed it.

In the post you replied

No names anywhere. Link please.

Name one player competing for his spot as a free hit on our Cat B rookie list. You said it yourself, there are other free hits.

Had nothing to do with players already on our list.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Follow the conversation...

Name one player competing for his spot as a free hit on our Cat B rookie list. You said it yourself, there are other free hits.

Had nothing to do with players already on our list.

You have just edited your question, but my response wouldn't change. No need for the obtuse comment, my understanding is very clear on the subject

I will detail it further. No downside at all with Arkuei the player, but the downside is with the imbalance of our list which lacks talls.

We now have an extra spot on our list with Jones departing, so adding the likes of someone like Ballenden, Schlensog, via SSP, is also a free hit, one that I believe addresses our needs better

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
It's just these three I think, and Janev and Uwandu are both shorter than Akuei.

1637227995130.png

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Another calling me obtuse, interesting

Let's do this another way, given you are an advocate for Josh Cripps, if there was 1 spot left on out list, would you take Cripos or Akeui?
Aaaaaagh!

BOTH

Jonesy retiring gives us another list spot, probably to be filled in SSP period.
Akuei is an NGA prospect attached to Carlton (only) and if not taken in the National Draft is eligible to be taken by us a s a Cat B Rookie, along with Owies, without any effect on the main list or Cat A Rookie list.

Akuei is a free hit and has shown sufficient to warrant the investment of another player on minimum chips.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Aaaaaagh!

BOTH

Jonesy retiring gives us another list spot, probably to be filled in SSP period.
Akuei is an NGA prospect attached to Carlton (only) and if not taken in the National Draft is eligible to be taken by us a s a Cat B Rookie, along with Owies, without any effect on the main list or Cat A Rookie list.

Akuei is a free hit and has shown sufficient to warrant the investment of another player on minimum chips.

Yet we could add a number of spine players via the SSP

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Yet we could add a number of spine players via the SSP
We can add 1. Unless we leave O’Brien and Cottrell in the wilderness.

Your boy Ballenden, northern academy boy is gone in to oblivion. Not up to it.
Schlensog, he of the purple hair, I like the profile and would have thought he warranted a spot, however he has no takers. After a “dominant” period in defence in WAFL, was moved forward later in the season for indifferent at best results. Suggest he has some flaws precluding 18 clubs from picking him up. Perhaps reckons he is a forward and better suited in defence? Off field issues? Potentially wiser and definitely better informed recruiters have thus far overlooked him.

Not easy to find Cat B rookies. Aside from Owies, we've tried that American basketballer and a heap of Gaelic footballers and a hurler. It's well worth giving some hope to someone from our NGA Academy. Might inspire others that qualify for that path.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll ask again - where?

You have not mentioned one other free hit available to us as a Cat B rookie.

This was your quetiosn

"Not particularly relevant, he's a likely free hit as a Cat B rookie.

What's the downside?"

My respose

"It actually is relevant, there are others, spine players, that would also be free hits.

It's not as if he is a highly touted talent and despite the athleticism, it's about his football ability.

Unless we were cutting one of the likes of Parks, Marchbank, Kemp, Gov, all of which could play his role, I would be looking at our actual needs"

My response above covers, covers downside, not the player but in regards to list management/needs, free hits (DFAs can be added to the SSP, i believe?). I also listed a number of players that could cover his role.

Where I think you are getting caught up, is with "Name a player that is a NGA that plays that role". Really makes no difference what the cost is, we have ample resources.

You then asked a number of times for the names that could play his role, but I had already listed them, see above in yellow

In Summary, you are happy to have a free hit 3rd tall, where I prefer a free hit spine player. If that isn't correct, let me know, if it is, let's move on

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Not easy to find Cat B rookies. Aside from Owies, we've tried that American basketballer and a heap of Gaelic footballers and a hurler. It's well worth giving some hope to someone from our NGA Academy. Might inspire others that qualify for that path.

That's a fair call, but as long as it doesn't hinder satisfying our needs

Back