Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Most grounds would have had separate scoreboards back then with a basic vision feed for the ground - seems unlikely albeit possible. Only been the last 10-20 years that grounds have had in-house graphics.
In the 2000s I remember Footy Park covering up the broadcast scorebug to blockout the countdown timer with a generic light blue scorebug which was much bigger than the broadcast one (which somehow ended up on highlight videos on the Crows YouTube channel).

Screenshot_20211118-155549.png Later on they moved to blacking out the timer.
Screenshot_20211118-155740.png

Last edited:
could be the scoreboard feed perhaps??
Good theory but Hawthorn vs Fremantle was at Waverley in 1997 and Waverley's scoreboard was this
32d19f4f0b04645ab8bfb85ae9769062

Good theory but Hawthorn vs Fremantle was at Waverley in 1997 and Waverley's scoreboard was this
32d19f4f0b04645ab8bfb85ae9769062
Has anyone got info on what the G/H and X/Z are referencing? In this case, most of the vision was either from an in-house camera or possibly a "clean feed" from the broadcaster (i.e. a video mix without the graphics on top).

In the 2000s I remember Footy Park covering up the broadcast scorebug to blockout the countdown timer with either a generic light blue scorebug which was much bigger than the broadcast one (which somehow ended up on highlight videos on the Crows YouTube channel).

View attachment 1282744 Later on they moved to blacking out the timer.
View attachment 1282746
Interesting but this is probably about the time I was referring to - when I used to go to the SFS for Souths games, from about 2002-2004ish we got the broadcast feed that was sent from the truck to the stadium and the satellite feed (including everything except ads). Later and at ANZ, we got a clean feed (see above).

For those wondering, graphics such as scoreboards and stats are generally mixed in towards the end of the chain in video. You have a "bus" for the cameras and other video sources (such as replay machines and media players) themselves, which often includes transitions/stings mixing between cameras, and then that bus will be overlaid, this overlay fed by the output of the "character generator" or "titler" which used to be something that literally just added text on top, before the 80s/90s when computerised graphics began to be overlaid. That mix, without overlay, can be sent out via an "aux" output from the mixer/switcher to recorders or screens. Each camera may be recorded separately as well for use in highlights packages, etc. but that's moving further away from what's being discussed.

Most of the stadiums I've been to have had a clean feed with a broadcaster logo superimposed over the top - this wouldn't actually be on the clean feed, this is added by the stadium itself or by the broadcaster itself specifically for the big screen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back