TV Rights

Yeah it’s disappointing. Going to stick with Foxtel, Optus and now Stan …going to give Paramount a miss and just catch one A League game a week on Ch 10. In a way this PL decision is a blow to A League
Yeah, I like this from a PL service as an existing Optus customer but it's a shame that an Australian company don't have the rights to the A-League. The deal with Paramount is going to be an immense step backwards for the A-League.

Kayo was also one of the streaming services mentioned along with Stan, Paramount and Amazon in the blind auction.

Yep, that's Fox Sports, but doubt they had more than a token interest.

Bit selfish mate.

I think most people would be happy with it going to another streaming service so they could cut one out. Either Stan or Paramount would have been good.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Not surprised that Optus got it again. They have spent a fortune establishing Optus Sports and have gotten over the bad publicity they had at the start of Optus Sport's tenure. I guess they made a bid that they knew wouldn't be topped.

Losing the PL would have left them with just a few Asian leagues plus Women's WC in 2023. That would see most of their $14.99 / month subscribers desert the service at the end of the PL season plus you would also have disgruntled mobile plan customers who signed up on the proviso they were getting PL broadcasts included. Pretty much the end of Optus Sports effectively.

Personally I'm happy the service has stayed because they are doing a good job.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It almost feels like all these companies have some secret deal to spread all the leagues and comps out to different places as much as they can, and then they all get a cut of the fees.

Stan will need some more content. I'll cancel it between the last round of CL and first match of Round of 16. Very hard to justify $24 a month for Stan if you aren't sharing it with someone to watch infrequent CL games.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I think most people would be happy with it going to another streaming service so they could cut one out. Either Stan or Paramount would have been good.
Unless you have Optus. I'm not interested in watching us in the Conference League, the FA cup only gets interesting when we lose at the Semi Final stage. I might occasionally flick on the FTA Aleague game but would go out of my way to watch it and the Australian games are on FTA

Stay on Optus is fine for me

Unless you have Optus. I'm not interested in watching us in the Conference League, the FA cup only gets interesting when we lose at the Semi Final stage. I might occasionally flick on the FTA Aleague game but would go out of my way to watch it and the Australian games are on FTA

Stay on Optus is fine for me

But that's why I'd be happy for it to be on Paramount, as you'd get FTA EPL as well. Would increase the audience, make it easier to watch if out and about for the early game, and bring more eyes onto the local product.

At least Cruyff14 can have a laugh. Imagine trying to do that with the Liverpool supporters on here (with a couple of exceptions)
The exceptions are the one’s that don’t cower like hermits in the scouse thread

Last edited:

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Come hell or high water, Optus simply had to retain the Premier League rights. They could not survive on what was left if the Premier League ended up on another platform. Optus were probably happy to lose the Champions League rights if it gave them a better shot at keeping the Premier League which is what happened.

As somebody who has morphed into a Euro snob, I'm not saddened that Paramount+ missed out but I will acknowledge the opportunity that has been missed. If Paramount+ won the EPL rights, they might have given channel 10 one game a week to ensure the most popular football league in the world had a free to air presence in this country.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
A-League is running at 1080p but only 25fps. As long as the ball isn’t moving it looks ok, but anything more than a 2m pass and we’re dealing with ball tear/blur. Also no ability to pause, rewind or start from beginning. Need to fix these things up to appeal long term.

720p would be better.

Back