Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Since 2001

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Im not for trading up from 5, i think we should fown grade the pick if ward isnt at our pick and upgrade one our 2nds to a mid first.
Eg:
Hawks: 5, future 3rd hawks: 10, 13
WCE: 10, 26, future 2nd WCE: 5 GWS and hawks future 3rd
GWS: 13 future 3rd Gws: 26 and wce future 2nd

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I wonder which player in the top 10 we are ignoring the most, surely he's a lock!

Due to the ridiculousness that is the Gold Coast list management team, they will now be looking to take a second pick in the draft.
If Callaghan is still on the table at their pick 3, I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade 5 + 21 for 3.
(I wouldn't necessarily be for it, I am big on Josh Ward).

They get Gibcus and can literally take a second pick (a bloody good one at that).

I'm honestly sick of the Callaghan draft pick trade proposals, he doesn't seem that much better than other options. Definitely not worth sinking 2 firsts into with only a second coming back.

I'll make a prediction right now that Sinn will be as good a player as Callaghan, if not better.

Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm honestly sick of the Callaghan draft pick trade proposals, he doesn't seem that much better than other options. Definitely not worth sinking 2 firsts into with only a second coming back.

I'll make a prediction right now that Sinn will be as good a player as Callaghan, if not better.
Just keep our picks as is and get Ward plus 2 other good kids in

I'm Team Sinn as well.

Happy to trade back in for another good pick (player), but not 2x 1sts for the one player.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Surely a future first goes part way to getting another pick in the first dozen, not a 3 place upgrade? You’d assume our future first comes in the first dozen picks

I'm now seeing the thought behind trading out a 'name' draft a lewis (solid grafter - but skilled ready to go) and a franklin (Skilled, X factor, bit of a project) early

Last edited:
What would pick 21 and a future second get us? The cost of pick upgrades on draft night has always been high. Maybe a few spots upgrade?
Brisbane want future picks & have 14 + 18 in this year's 1st Round.

You'd want 21 + F2nd to get 14. Certainly wouldn't entertain it to swap 21 to 18.

Even at 14 though, it's costly - probs only worth doing if a Sinn, Rachalle, Andrew, Ward/Hobbs or Gibcus has somehow slid & is available, but then you'd probs target GilWS at 13 instead.

Oct 13, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City
Brisbane want future picks & have 14 + 18 in this year's 1st Round.

You'd want 21 + F2nd to get 14. Certainly wouldn't entertain it to swap 21 to 18.

Even at 14 though, it's costly - probs only worth doing if a Sinn, Rachalle, Andrew, Ward/Hobbs or Gibcus has somehow slid & is available, but then you'd probs target GilWS at 13 instead.
Why would Brisbane want future picks? They have a top 3 FS next year... imagine they're even trying to trade next years first.

Why would Brisbane want future picks? They have a top 3 FS next year... imagine they're even trying to trade next years first.

Because future picks next year gives them points to match the father son pick? I don't think anyones is saying we try to trade them our future first.

They need future picks to pay for that Top 3 F/S.

Getting Currency to pay for him whilst retaining Pick 18 this year & gaining an early-ish 2nd (24) is a pretty good hand.

Leaves them their 2022 1st to trade for player(s) or a 2023 1st.

Oct 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bulls Seahawks Dodgers Blackhawks
Will they trade that future first? Yes unless its somehow pick 1. After Collingwood fumbled it last year though cant see them trading it till next year when they know the points values of picks incoming or outgoing

smish

Club Legend
May 7, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I can't see us not making a move on draft night. That being split pick 5 and trade down to nab Sinn + Johnson (or whoever else we rate in the 10-20 range) or package our two second rounders to trade back to late first round.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City
They need future picks to pay for that Top 3 F/S.

Getting Currency to pay for him whilst retaining Pick 18 this year & gaining an early-ish 2nd (24) is a pretty good hand.

Leaves them their 2022 1st to trade for player(s) or a 2023 1st.
They could use their picks next year to get the FS it's not that difficult... dogs finished 2nd and have easily covered the points for Darcy.

Doubt they would be trading out of a first round this year for picks next year which will only be cancelled out.

They could use their picks next year to get the FS it's not that difficult... dogs finished 2nd and have easily covered the points for Darcy.

Doubt they would be trading out of a first round this year for picks next year which will only be cancelled out.
Seems weird then that so many clubs trade out their higher/better picks then, doesn't it?

Oct 13, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City
Seems weird then that so many clubs trade out their higher/better picks then, doesn't it?
In the same year they do, not from prior years. I can't think of one instance where a team with a highly rated FS/Academy kid traded out a first or second round the year before for points the next.

Collingwood didn't even have a first round pick this year and still managed to get enough points to match pick 1. There is zero need for Brisbane to basically waste a first round this year for points in 2022.

In the same year they do, not from prior years. I can't think of one instance where a team with a highly rated FS/Academy kid traded out a first or second round the year before for points the next.

Collingwood didn't even have a first round pick this year and still managed to get enough points to match pick 1. There is zero need for Brisbane to basically waste a first round this year for points in 2022.
I'm not suggesting they waste it - I doubt they'll trade it for 4x Future 3rd Rounders...

They would still retain a 1st Round Pick this year (Pick 18). And, they would have 2x 2nds next year for their F/S, allowing them heaps of freedom to shop with their 2022 1st. They can make it available to clubs that want to pay overs for it & there's no doubt that 2x low/mid-20's Picks is overs for a late 1st Rounder.

No theres a reason clubs have been clamoring to get him. It's not just random conjecture from nobodies.

The kid came from the clouds and had standout games on the wing, and then through the middle, and has huge upside considering his size and attributes.

Personally, I cannot see GWS taking him at 2, because they clearly know he's a flight risk. They are trying to convince other clubs that they will though, so that they can get another pick in.
Hopefully the Suns grab him if he doesn't make it to us, because he'll be out of there in 2 years too.

No theres a reason clubs have been clamoring to get him. It's not just random conjecture from nobodies.

The kid came from the clouds and had standout games on the wing, and then through the middle, and has huge upside considering his size and attributes.

Personally, I cannot see GWS taking him at 2, because they clearly know he's a flight risk. They are trying to convince other clubs that they will though, so that they can get another pick in.
Hopefully the Suns grab him if he doesn't make it to us, because he'll be out of there in 2 years too.

I know he's probably going to be a great player but I don't see it as 2 firsts for a second back good. Massive gamble for one kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back