Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Awful optics indeed !
Sometimes it's better for people to not open their mouths or go public.

Shearer agrees the list is in a mess.
But, whilst he's not obviously not a recruiter or list manager, he's nevertheless been one of Kennett's yes-men on the board who has presided over this mess.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Awful optics indeed !
Sometimes it's better for people to not open their mouths or go public.

Shearer agrees the list is in a mess.
But, whilst he's not obviously not a recruiter or list manager, he's nevertheless been one of Kennett's yes-men on the board who has presided over this mess.
Yep, one of Kennett's pawns.

I voted Silk and Holdstock. Major change is needed and that involves diluting the influence of Kennett in its entirety.

Train wreck befitting of his mentor.

It's not quite as bad as that Tweet made out, but still not great. He wasn't overly compelling however. Weird that he says he listens to Cornes closely but then asked him what he thinks of our list - Cornes' thoughts on the matter aren't exactly a secret.

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
Silk and Holdstock. Shearer is part of a board that has been responsible for some terribly incompetent governance. The more change at board level and the less of Kennett's men, the better. Kennett's campaigning email speaks volumes.
My thoughts exactly, board has been useless and has enabled everything we are complaining about. It's already stacked with yes men even if I wanted to vote all of them out, I want more drive towards just doing what's best for the HFC. I'm thankful for but not currently concerned about his work fundraising for Dingley and to be honest, having Kennetts vote of confidence is a mark against him unfair as it may be.

Plus I did a similar business degree at Swinburne where he graduated, so I already know he's sus /s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Train wreck befitting of his mentor.

Just listened to this interview. Cornes was very kind to him.
The concerning aspect for me was the fact that Shearer conceded the list was in a mess, but later said that Richie Vandenberg who has been the football director on the board "has done an outstanding job" and that "we're very fortunate to have him".
Jeez !!

It's not quite as bad as that Tweet made out, but still not great. He wasn't overly compelling however. Weird that he says he listens to Cornes closely but then asked him what he thinks of our list - Cornes' thoughts on the matter aren't exactly a secret.
We've literally turned over 50% of the list in a 12 month period. Can't think of another club who's done that in recent footy history.

Considering this "Mess" can be interpreted a number of ways. I think transition is a much better way of putting it, and what Shearer should have emphasised more.

perrdan86

Team Captain
Mar 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lakers - Man Utd - Rams - Yankees

That must be going down well with the list management team.

I was for this guy staying to continue his work with dingley.... i hope he is no longer on the board...

You can't come out and say that publicly...Basically publicly saying our list management team has done a terrible job.

And its just a terrible take... I think our list is far from a mess! If it was such a mess then i dont know why any of those senior lads would have all wanted to stick around.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
My read on it is they think its Clarkos fault, but cant say that.

Clarko was working to the boards target of 2 premierships in 5 years was he not? Anyone heard of what Sammy’s target is?
And if we haven’t, why not?

is Clarko at fault for that?

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarko was working to the boards target of 2 premierships in 5 years was he not? Anyone heard of what Sammy’s target is?
And if we haven’t, why not?

is Clarko at fault for that?

The Board created a dumb and near impossible target and then charged Clarko with delivering on the bluster.
Clarko gave a blue print of the type of players it would take and how he wanted the Club to go about it, and is probably the easy out to blame for non delivery.

And now you want Sam to be part of the same idiotic prophecy making????
I know you look to try and even up every Clarko slight by setting unreasonable and unfair expectations for Sam, as though to see Sam fail would illustrate better how hard done by Alistaire was, but as a supporter you should get your head up out of your arse and just want a sustaniable path to success for the team.
The people at board level who dreamed up this dream thought bubble should similarly be held to account.

Maybe just let brand new coach Mitchell to get a run at training and developing this team so that he has a chance to get us back up the ladder and contending again?
Or not, and you can continue your childish potting.

The framing of that tweet is pretty misleading...

Yeah. Shearer's whole interview wasn't overly compelling, but Cornes had about another paragraph of his statement before Shearer stated that he agreed with him. The Tweet was worse than the interview.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back