AFL star’s anti-vax views cost him friendship

Remove this Banner Ad

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
I have done that.

What's next? Be hostile to everyone who hasn't yet? Harass them until they submit to my will? Mock the unvaxed who die from Covid?

No mate. I think I can be a better man than that. And I would encourage you to be also.

Mate, I don't need your opinion on what kind of man I am. I'm glad I don't share the same views as you. You aren't being a better man by taking your stance, you're doing the opposite. Informing anti-vaxxers they're being selfish and dangerous to the community by not being vaccinated isn't inappropriate. Whether you like it or not, you live in a society, in a community with a group of people. Sometimes it's not about your own individual choices but what's good for the betterment of the community. Clearly getting vaccinated is for the betterment of the community.

There's more than enough information available on the benefits of being vaccinated v not being vaccinated. Anyone choosing to not be vaxxed or defending people who aren't vaxxed are equally implicit on the negative impact they're having on the community. It's selfish. Luckily, the majority of people aren't as selfish and do what's right not only for themselves but the community. I would encourage you to take some time to think why soo maný people aren't sharing your viewpoint, you might learn something positive.

Having read a fair few of your posts and the replies, it seems to me that you’ve come on here wanting to start debates so you can show off your intellect. Most people here are trying to engage with you in good faith but a lot of your posts are just nitpicking. Fair enough if you really are just sticking up for the vaccine-hesitant and want people to respect others with a different opinion but the way you’ve gone about it is strange.

I came here to make a point about being kinder and more tolerant to others in what is a difficult time for humanity. From the moment I posted that, I've been accused of being an unvaxed psycho, idiot, who gets my info from 4chan, youtube and the internets, who is off his meds and causes death to others etc etc.

Yes mate. Just so genuine. Such good faith. How could I ever miss it?

Do I care for how I come across in my posts in response to all that? Not one little bit. If you're genuine like Rusty, for example, I will engage in kind.

You're both as ignorant as the people you detest, it's just the information you're subordinate to comes from more credible sources.
LOL yeah it’s called medical science.

I don’t pretend to know how to fly an aeroplane. That’s why I trust the trained experts to do it for me.

Likewise I happily admit I don’t know much about epidemiology, so I trust the trained experts to make the right calls on my behalf.

Now you, on the other hand, claim to have expert knowledge in the area of medical science.

But when I repeatedly suggest you contact the experts to point out where they are going wrong, well blow me down: strangely, you are disinclined to do so, preferring instead to argue nitpicking points, as an anonymous schmo, on an anonymous internet forum with other anonymous schmoes.

Hence it’s obvious to all that you’re full of s**t.

Otherwise, it’s just downright irresponsible of you, being apparently in possession of life-saving information, to keep it to yourself.

So call the Kirby Institute. Greatness awaits.

Mate, I don't need your opinion on what kind of man I am. I'm glad I don't share the same views as you. You aren't being a better man by taking your stance, you're doing the opposite. Informing anti-vaxxers they're being selfish and dangerous to the community by not being vaccinated isn't inappropriate. Whether you like it or not, you live in a society, in a community with a group of people. Sometimes it's not about your own individual choices but what's good for the betterment of the community. Clearly getting vaccinated is for the betterment of the community.

There's more than enough information available on the benefits of being vaccinated v not being vaccinated. Anyone choosing to not be vaxxed or defending people who aren't vaxxed are equally implicit on the negative impact they're having on the community. It's selfish. Luckily, the majority of people aren't as selfish and do what's right not only for themselves but the community. I would encourage you to take some time to think why soo maný people aren't sharing your viewpoint, you might learn something positive.
Great post.

Nah - genuine here. Yes R square can only be between 0 and 1.

It's been ages since I published any research but we were required to report Pearson's R as R2 - hence my confusion. That's probably changed now.

Yup. Stands out like dogs balls once you know the test :thumbsu:

Depends on what you're reporting with your analysis. For example, R can indicate direction, whereas R2 can't because it's squared and always positive.

Anyway, I'm glad your response was genuine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I came here to make a point about being kinder and more tolerant to others in what is a difficult time for humanity. From the moment I posted that, I've been accused of being an unvaxed psycho, idiot, who gets my info from 4chan, youtube and the internets, who is off his meds and causes death to others etc etc.

Yes mate. Just so genuine. Such good faith. How could I ever miss it?

Do I care for how I come across in my posts in response to all that? Not one little bit. If you're genuine like Rusty, for example, I will engage in kind.
So what is your opinion of people who refuse vaccination? They deserve respect and the right to privacy but do you think they’re misinformed and should be persuaded otherwise? Silly? Smart? I’ve read a lot of what you’ve posted and although you’ve said you were vaccinated a long time ago, there’s other stuff that makes me wonder if you’re being sincere about your support of medical science.

If nobody cared, they shouldn't have asked. Like literally asked me. Or accused me of being ignorant. I would never have mentioned it.

Happy to shove it in the faces of posters who talked sh*t about me.
Oh man! Consider us told, Poindexter.

If nobody cared, they shouldn't have asked. Like literally asked me.

You know there's a search function here right?

Took me all of about 5 seconds to find this -

You are not talking to me here. You're talking to yourself. I am fully vaccinated. I have no FB account, but I do have an account that allows me access to most research databases you could think of. I studied, biochemistry, nutrition, A&P and clinical medicine as part of my BSc and have graduate-level training in statistics and research methods at a top-tier U.S. university. I once worked with organizations, including the WHO, responding to the HIV/AIDS pandemic - which largely focused on supporting marginalized and stigmatized populations, perhaps contributing in part to my attitudes re the unvaxxed.

Took me an additional 3 seconds to look and see that nobody asked you what your qualifications are. Like literally nobody asked you. You offered that up all by yourself.

You know there's a search function here right?

Took me all of about 5 seconds to find this -

Took me an additional 3 seconds to look and see that nobody asked you what your qualifications are. Like literally nobody asked you. You offered that up all by yourself.

Owen asked me mate. Use your search function again you're so proud of it.

And sure, I'll add to that, if you want make up stories about where I get my info, I will correct you.

Owen asked me mate. Use your search function again you're so proud of it.

Fun fact: owen87 hadn't posted in this thread when you decided to put forward your 'qualifications'.

Sorry, but you're full of s**t - and yourself.

I mean, you call it a straw man then literally validate everything I’ve said.

No one is celebrating anyone dying so solid straw man yourself. You realise all those of us advocating for the vaxx actively want people NOT to die?
Dunno why people waste their time debating anti-vaxers/CT's, or those "pro-vax but anti-mandate" contrarians who are even worse.
Personally I just point and laugh at them while hoping they experience the worst possible outcome.

But that's just me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back