2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every WAFL club has 37 protected players. The Eagles can not recruit any of them. WAFL clubs are not going to allow the Eagles to recruit their best players to play against them.
It's a bit like how the Brisbane Bears were set up, each club will give you access to players they don't want.

Doesn't really answer the question; how are these 37 decided?

So we get the best of their reserves players?
How do we select them? Do we have to sign individual contracts with each of them?
I doubt clubs would be willing to give up the best of their reserves, given they'd require those players throughout the season.

More likely we receive their reserve reserves.

Every WAFL club has 37 protected players. The Eagles can not recruit any of them. WAFL clubs are not going to allow the Eagles to recruit their best players to play against them.

Unless you draft them as mature age picks ;)

We’d need to be pretty astute at finding guys who are underrated, stuck in a long queue but have something to contribute. Zane Sumich seemed like a good pickup last year, that’s the sort of player we could target.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
We’d need to be pretty astute at finding guys who are underrated, stuck in a long queue but have something to contribute. Zane Sumich seemed like a good pickup last year, that’s the sort of player we could target.

Hope he sticks around , he actually looked pretty decent!

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I doubt clubs would be willing to give up the best of their reserves, given they'd require those players throughout the season.

More likely we receive their reserve reserves.

Every WAFL clubs 38th best player and beyond will be available to the Eagles.
I don't believe anything is topping the Eagles from recruiting from elsewhere though.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
they will be better off as they will have WAFL footballers on their list instead of amtuers.

Tbh I'm not sure that's true. A lot of guys who don't make it to the draft go through uni and play in other leagues. I know many a player who could very easily play WAFL league every week but play country footy as the money is better.

I don't believe anything is topping the Eagles from recruiting from elsewhere though.

Just the delay meaning that a lot of guys coming out of the AFL system have already signed elsewhere. Hutch and Johnson at West Perth, Ainsworth at Perth, Ah Chee at Souths, even Brayshaw at East Perth, plus Ronin O’Connor went straight back to Claremont.

Might be able to grab one or two guys that are hoping to get picked up in the draft but miss out like Tom Joyce or even Pat Naish if he’s keen to move.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Just the delay meaning that a lot of guys coming out of the AFL system have already signed elsewhere. Hutch and Johnson at West Perth, Ainsworth at Perth, Ah Chee at Souths, even Brayshaw at East Perth, plus Ronin O’Connor went straight back to Claremont.

Might be able to grab one or two guys that are hoping to get picked up in the draft but miss out like Tom Joyce or even Pat Naish if he’s keen to move.

Talking to hutch there was no way on earth he was playing for the eagles reserves

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Bad blood with the club? That would suck and is a bit of a worry considering Schofield and Jetta seemed to leave on bad terms as well.

Don’t think it would be bad blood, it would be more on the lines of if I am going to train and do the work then I want to play for a team who has winning the WAFL flag as their priority. The Eagles don’t fit into that category so they go and play for their original clubs.
I also think many of them want to give back to their original WAFL clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back