Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bramble has a strong and injury-free pre-season and develops as one would expect a slightly maturer player with a first proper pre-season under his belt, and with the support and belief he clearly has from Collo and Sammy, I don't see how he is not best 22.
I'm intrigued re: Duke for the same reason (although obviously less mature). Coming from bush footy to AFL is a fair ask, but he seemed to adapt well. He obviously has the size for AFL - can't wait to see him add strength* through an elite programme & build his tank.

*could probs even drop a keg or three whilst gaining strength.

Nash is the other one who I think can improve over Summer, for the same reasons you provide: proper pre-season (as a midfielder) & the support & belief he has from Sam. Could be another really good find.

And both (essentially) freebies.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reckon you'll find that the round 1 team will be different to what many expect. Clean slate with the new coach, so old favourites may not get a walk up start. Reckon training sessions and intra-clubs will push up a couple of unexpected inclusions.

Only 90 odd days to go, wonder how long this thread will get :)

Reckon you'll find that the round 1 team will be different to what many expect. Clean slate with the new coach, so old favourites may not get a walk up start. Reckon training sessions and intra-clubs will push up a couple of unexpected inclusions.

Let's hope so.

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Then there are the inevitable pre-season injuries. No harm in sharing our hopes and fantasies but "prediction" is a stretch.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

*, 90 days will come around quick

JD1992

Debutant
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lucky the Rocca brothers, Carey, Ablet snr, Kernahan etc. are long gone and Buddy is on his last legs.

Fletch struggled on the biggest and the best despite what Sheeds and his bomber lemmings will tell you. Good player but not a complete full back/stopper.
Fletcher 198, Rocca/Kernahan the tallest of them 196. Carey 192, Ablett 185. So fletcher always had height/reach advantage. Young key fwd now King Brothers 203, Daniher 201, Hipwood 203, Tom Lynch 199. Even in the upcoming draft Darcy 205, Mac Andrew 200, with Amiss the smallest at 196 all taller than than DGB.
He doesn't have height or reach advantage unlike fletcher did, which was quiet prominent against some opponents

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fletcher 198, Rocca/Kernahan the tallest of them 196. Carey 192, Ablett 185. So fletcher always had height/reach advantage. Young key fwd now King Brothers 203, Daniher 201, Hipwood 203, Tom Lynch 199. Even in the upcoming draft Darcy 205, Mac Andrew 200, with Amiss the smallest at 196 all taller than than DGB.
He doesn't have height or reach advantage unlike fletcher did, which was quiet prominent against some opponents

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
A 196cm CHB is fine, that's what DGB is.

He reminds me of a much taller Gibson. The way he reads the play and can play on all heights.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A 196cm CHB is fine, that's what DGB is.

He reminds me of a much taller Gibson. The way he reads the play and can play on all heights.
Height wise DGB is fine.

But he needs to fill out a lot, and I mean a lot. He wouldn't have the core strength to go with the big boys like Hawkins, etc with his current body shape.

Gibbo was an amazing specimen, great balance of power and agility he would be a good role model for DGB to aspire to.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Height wise DGB is fine.

But he needs to fill out a lot, and I mean a lot. He wouldn't have the core strength to go with the big boys like Hawkins, etc with his current body shape.

Gibbo was an amazing specimen, great balance of power and agility he would be a good role model for DGB to aspire to.
100%, for me DGB looks like Gibbo when he was younger, Gibbo has always been a natural athlete tho, DGB has a bit more work to do but he has the same style of game, with a little more flash.

The way he can read the play the same way and put himself in those positions. Aswell as his versatility.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

The positive is that there are very few hulking key forwards developing in the AFL right now. The era of Hawkins, Dixon, Walker etc could be coming to an end.

Harry McKay might be the most physically commanding young forward in the comp and i'm confident DBG would match up well on him in 2 years times.
Ugle-Hagen, Ben King, Max King, Aaron Naughton, Nick Larkey, Mitch Georgiadis... just a list of guys DGB could be playing on over the next decade. Not a Hawkins, Fev or Charlie Dixon amongst them.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I wouldnt say top 10 but Moore was the big surprise of 2022 and Bramble was the 2nd biggest. He just slotted in to the team so well, and when our backline was crippled with injuries he moved there seamlessly.

He surely is best 22 in 2022.
Also knows how to hit up a player in the forward 50. I'd rate him as our best link up player at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also knows how to hit up a player in the forward 50. I'd rate him as our best link up player at the moment.

In the game where Moore kicked 3 goals Bramble kicked it to him all 3 times.

It was their 3rd or 4th game playing together. These 2 are absolute gems. Smith wont be replaced but Bramble will do a pretty good job. And he isnt afraid to run and bounce too. Something we sorely lack.

Melbourne have 4 or 5 players who will run. Tears defences apart as long as the disposal at the end of the run is clean (or a mystery ball like whrn Frost runs and shanks !!).

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
100%, for me DGB looks like Gibbo when he was younger, Gibbo has always been a natural athlete tho, DGB has a bit more work to do but he has the same style of game, with a little more flash.

The way he can read the play the same way and put himself in those positions. Aswell as his versatility.
I was more referring to how DGB should try and obtain a similar physical build to Gibbo.

Gibbo had (still has actually) a beautifully balanced body for AFL. He was strong enough to play on the likes of Hawkins, Franklin, etc but he was still super agile and great at ground level and could regularly rack up 30+ possessions a game

I agree that DGB has similiar gamestyle attributes to Gibbo but to reach Gibbos level (which is admittedly very high) he will need to craft a body that allows him to do this.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I'll be concerned if DGB isn't best 22 in his 2nd year, I have the confidence that he will be though. Would be a shame if a top 5 or 6 pick isn't best 22 in his 2nd season though.

I'll be concerned if DGB isn't best 22 in his 2nd year, I have the confidence that he will be though. Would be a shame if a top 5 or 6 pick isn't best 22 in his 2nd season though.
What position?

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hoping DGB can become similar to Grimes.
I think I remember Grimes being fairly lean when he first started.

A bit more attacking and dynamic hopefully. He won't be able to go with the big boys for a season or two yet.

Denver, Sicily, CJ, Day, Scrimshaw, Impey, Hardwick and Frost is a ridiculous good backline waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back