Free Agency Hugh Greenwood joins North Melbourne as a DFA

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The part they pay him (if any) is the part that goes against the cap.

What they pay him is the amount they owe him less any amount he is paid by North in the same year. If that amount is less than zero (i.e. if North has offered him more than GC was going to pay him), then Gold Coast don't need to pay him out at all.
Could North theoretically offer him minimum wage for next year so GC are effectively pay him to play for North, then bigger contracts for the follow seasons?

Could North theoretically offer him minimum wage for next year so GC are effectively pay him to play for North, then bigger contracts for the follow seasons?
Yes, but I don't think they did. Same as with Clarkson coaching elsewhere this year, or the fiasco with Treloar going to the Dogs and figuring out who paid how much of his salary.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
The part they pay him (if any) is the part that goes against the cap.

What they pay him is the amount they owe him less any amount he is paid by North in the same year. If that amount is less than zero (i.e. if North has offered him more than GC was going to pay him), then Gold Coast don't need to pay him out at all.

Since there was technically no deal between North and Gold Coast won't Gold Coast be on the hook for the full amount? Similar to when a player retires?

Since there was technically no deal between North and Gold Coast won't Gold Coast be on the hook for the full amount? Similar to when a player retires?
No, it has nothing to do with trade negotiations. Even if a player is traded, they aren't technically "trading salary cap", they're not allowed to and it's forbidden to trade anything other than players and picks. So when they "trade salary cap" what they're actually doing is trading a player and paying them a severance package for the remaining years of the contract while the new club just so happens to also pay them a salary. The severance deal is reduced accordingly by the amount they are paid at the new club. It comes under a rule called 'no unjust enrichment' or similar.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
No, it has nothing to do with trade negotiations. Even if a player is traded, they aren't technically "trading salary cap", they're not allowed to and it's forbidden to trade anything other than players and picks. So when they "trade salary cap" what they're actually doing is trading a player and paying them a severance package for the remaining years of the contract while the new club just so happens to also pay them a salary. The severance deal is reduced accordingly by the amount they are paid at the new club. It comes under a rule called 'no unjust enrichment' or similar.

Sorry to keep asking...

Would Greenwood have to negotiate a severance with Gold Coast prior to delisting while still under contract? If the severance is 100% payment (or whatever percentage - I assume it's 0% since he had a deal in principle) of what he is owed this comes under the 2022 Gold Coast salary cap - is this correct?

So my understanding is that he is now a delisted free agent with all financials already dealt with for Gold Coast. Any new deal with Gold Coast to be drafted in the 2021 National Draft would then come under the 2022 and onwards salary cap (depending on length).

North steps in before the draft and signs Greenwood as a delisted free agent. I think you are telling me I am wrong but my belief is that any deal with North has nothing to do with Gold Coast as those negotiations were finalised after the delisting (i.e. while he was not listed with a club) and as he was signed prior to the draft any new deal with Gold Coast is null and void.

Again, sorry to pester, this all seems very complex to me.

Sorry to keep asking...

Would Greenwood have to negotiate a severance with Gold Coast prior to delisting while still under contract? If the severance is 100% payment (or whatever percentage - I assume it's 0% since he had a deal in principle) of what he is owed this comes under the 2022 Gold Coast salary cap - is this correct?

So my understanding is that he is now a delisted free agent with all financials already dealt with for Gold Coast. Any new deal with Gold Coast to be drafted in the 2021 National Draft would then come under the 2022 and onwards salary cap (depending on length).

North steps in before the draft and signs Greenwood as a delisted free agent. I think you are telling me I am wrong but my belief is that any deal with North has nothing to do with Gold Coast as those negotiations were finalised after the delisting (i.e. while he was not listed with a club) and as he was signed prior to the draft any new deal with Gold Coast is null and void.

Again, sorry to pester, this all seems very complex to me.
The severance isn't negotiated, it's pre-determined the CBA. You get paid X% in the first year and X% in lieu of match payments and then X% in subsequent remaining years etc, less any amount earned at another club. It even specifies whether it's to be paid in a lump sum or in instalments.

The deal with North is whatever contract they offered him that he signed. If that amount is less than what he was on at Gold Coast, Gold Coast pay the difference. If it's equal or more, then North pay the whole amount.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The severance isn't negotiated, it's pre-determined the CBA. You get paid X% in the first year and X% in lieu of match payments and then X% in subsequent remaining years etc, less any amount earned at another club. It even specifies whether it's to be paid in a lump sum or in instalments.

The deal with North is whatever contract they offered him that he signed. If that amount is less than what he was on at Gold Coast, Gold Coast pay the difference. If it's equal or more, then North pay the whole amount.
I appreciate the time you put in answering these questions mate.
cheers

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Greenwood on $500k a year for two years with a five game trigger for a third.

Holy s**t, no wonder he said yes. Do North not realise they're rebuilding?

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Holy sh*t, no wonder he said yes. Do North not realise they're rebuilding?

The trigger for the third is $250k

$1.25m over 3 is just above the average AFL wage.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

But not in perpetuity. He will hasten the rebuild by helping protect/guide/mentor the younger players (the majority of the team).

Learning to win is also part of the rebuilding process, we have been down the bottom for two years, and not much better for the three before that. I do not want us to be Carltonesque in our ability to rebuild forever.

I'd be surprised if North, having so many kids, aren't front loading contracts just to make the cap floor. Cap space is the least of their problems.
The guy was the no 1 tackling player in the competition in 2021. North just got him for free. It's an absolute home- run hit from North here

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But not in perpetuity. He will hasten the rebuild by helping protect/guide/mentor the younger players (the majority of the team).

Learning to win is also part of the rebuilding process, we have been down the bottom for two years, and not much better for the three before that. I do not want us to be Carltonesque in our ability to rebuild forever.

Carlton will be top 6 next year.

You keep banging on about protecting the kids… what is Cunnington and Anderson for?

Ziebell, Turner, Hall, Walker, Goldstein, Simpkin is 25.

Zurhaar, Larkey, Thomas, LDU & Sleevo are all 23+

Enough of protecting them, let’s put them under pressure and see if they can handle it and whether we can rely upon them.

And finally, I reckon 18 year olds JASON will provide equitable amount of leadership than 29 year olds Greenwood. I also think 18 year Jason will up the standards across the board - and judging by old mates latest interview, let’s just hope he keep the fentanyl away from the young lads.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Enough of protecting them, let’s put them under pressure and see if they can handle it and whether we can rely upon them.

We already know how this story ends, we finish last.

Carlton will be top 6 next year.

You keep banging on about protecting the kids… what is Cunnington and Anderson for?

Ziebell, Turner, Hall, Walker, Goldstein, Simpkin is 25.

Zurhaar, Larkey, Thomas, LDU & Sleevo are all 23+

Cunnington is 31 and has played 18 games in the last 2 years. Had chronic back issues & cancer.

Anderson has played 22 games in the last 2 years & is also fairly injury prone. Nothing against Jed, but he also does not possess the leadership qualities of Greenwood.

Simpkin isn't 25+ next year, nor is TT 23+ next year.

And finally, I reckon 18 year olds JASON will provide equitable amount of leadership than 29 year olds Greenwood. I also think 18 year Jason will up the standards across the board - and judging by old mates latest interview, let’s just hope he keep the fentanyl away from the young lads.

What a ridiculous level of expectation for an 18 year old.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I'd be surprised if North, having so many kids, aren't front loading contracts just to make the cap floor. Cap space is the least of their problems.
The guy was the no 1 tackling player in the competition in 2021. North just got him for free. It's an absolute home- run hit from North here
Could have gotten Brodie for free.

Greenwood is creaking into 30, and the Crows got rid of him two years ago because they were rebuilding.

I get that North need to spend money on SOMEONE, but two other rebuilding sides could see that Greenwood would just be taking midfield rotations from a kid and cut him loose - I'm surprised North wouldn't think the same.

Greenwood is creaking into 30, and the Crows got rid of him two years ago because they were rebuilding.

I get that North need to spend money on SOMEONE, but two other rebuilding sides could see that Greenwood would just be taking midfield rotations from a kid and cut him loose - I'm surprised North wouldn't think the same.
I'd say he's more likely to reduce the load on Cunnington. Kids need to be eased through a season, especially in the second half of the year. Greenwood can rest forward too.
I think most people rate Greenwood higher than Brodie.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
No, it was the right call. Lyons had a garbage attitude, was constantly undermining coaches and clearly didn't want to be at the Suns. Showing him the door was addition by subtraction.
Had a bad attitude according to Stuart dew 😂 . It’s funny Brisbane have had no dramas with him whatsoever so it says more about the suns culture then anything. He has turned into a very good player one the suns could definitely use at the moment

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

Cunners out for most of the year, LDU and Thomas knocked out of the game in the 1st half and Greenwood went in and stood up. Its exactly why we brought him in. 29 possies and the most tackles on the ground with 10 - only Butters and Steel had more on the weekend.

He is a good pick up.

Back