Wheel of Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I love this guys channel, he is an unashamed massive wot fan, however he’s generally pretty balanced, he doesn’t shy away from the bad bits and his reaction settled a lot of nerves in me. If Daniel Greene didn’t like it, I’d be worried.

I’m looking forward to Amanda The Jedi’s review if I’m honest though, she was at the premier in London with the other Youtube reviewers/influencers, I think she’s going in pretty blind and her reviews are generally very entertaining whether she likes a show/movie or not.

Watching the red carpet interviews and Jason from Dragonmount asked Josha what scene he is looking forward to playing. Without hesitating he said "the box." If the show gets that far, I can't wait for that.

Watching the red carpet interviews and Jason from Dragonmount asked Josha what scene he is looking forward to playing. Without hesitating he said "the box." If the show gets that far, I can't wait for that.
I still can’t believe how far Josha has gotten with the books. The fact that he is reading them has won him a lot of fans in The Wheel of Time community, last I heard, and this was about a month ago, he was reading Knife of Dreams.

He said on The Dusty Wheel live stream he is still on KoD. He said they have been way too busy shooting season 2 and doing all the press to have much time for reading.

The great thing is that all the cast are reading or have read the books.

Galina and co get their comeuppance

A lot of the early official reviews coming out seem to be pretty positive. :D

Of course there’s some bad reviews here and there and some inevitable GoT comparisons, but Wheel of Time seems to have gone over well with fans and professional reviewers alike.

The more critical reviews started coming out yesterday and the day before. ‘Serious’ Critics don’t seem to like it, continually comparing it to GoT which we can blame on Jeff Bezos, who apparently said he wanted his own GoT. It’s kind of doomed WoT with the serious critics lol.

However Nerd Media seems to like it, which I gather means, if you’re a fantasy fan you’ll like it, if you’re not, you probably won’t.

It’s pretty positive with a lot of WoT fans however. Pacing seems to be the major issue with it, which you know, was probably always going to be a problem.

WoT fans have said while there are major changes, some good, some bad, it’s actually a lot more similar to the books than expected.

That might actually be the problem in hindsight, while I loved Eye of the World, which season 1 seems to be exclusively about, minus the Tar Valon intermission, it was at it’s heart a pretty generic fantasy story, it wasn’t until The Great Hunt that the series really started to open up and differentiate itself from LoTR and other fantasy.

Episode 1 - Seems to be so so many unnecessary changes, that don't add anything, except to annoy fans of the book. Most, IMO, aren't just changes for change sake, but made it worse.

Hates: Worst ones 'Hey Dragon has been reborn, bonus it's one of you!'. Lets throw the whole 'Why did Moraine come to the Two Rivers? What did they want with the boys?' of the books plot out the window! The other two really hated was Mat a thief, not just a mischief maker and Nynaeve knowing Listening to the Winds is channeling. Her finding out that is channeling is one of the best moments when you first read The Eye of the World.

Edit: Missed at first, as it was an omission, rather than not in, but Tam not raving on the way to town, with Rand finding out he's not Tam's son. Such a critical thread through the whole books. How can it be left out?!?

Disliked: No Thom! Mats mum a drunk (and sisters much younger, looks like Bode as a Novice won't happen). Neither her or his father caring about daughters during Trolloc attack. Naming getting the braid as becoming part of the women's circle. Nynaeve not born in Two Rivers. Egwene avoiding Rand instead of vice versa. Rand not afraid to make the moves on her and them in the sack together. Lan needing a warmer bath. Egwene not yet Nyaeve's apprentice, for some reason Wisdom having to have no husband or kids. Egwene already channeling since Listening to the Wind. Padan Fain not the centre of attention - the whole Logain speech near the start of the first book would have been a great intro to False Dragons / Dragon. Where was Moraine and Lan's ability to sense Shadowspawn? Aes Sedai/Warder ability that crops up many times during the books. Tam beaten by one trolloc. Sure out of practise, but was a blademaster. Nynaeve captured so couldn't fail to heal Tam, forcing Rand to go to Moraine. Instead it's just 'here have some healing'.

Pointless: The other changes that didn't need to be there Aes Sedai turning away someone just because poor. Perrin hooked up and accidently killing his wife.
Changes that were ok and things they nailed.
Obviously changes like Aes Sedai dressing in their Ajah colours and ring weren't an issue. Moraine known as Aes Sedai was fine to save time. Egwene was doing ta'veren level things through the books, so no problem with her 'upgraded'.

Liked: Lan kicking arse. That's nailed. Moraine frying trollocs. Fireballs were more true to her in the book, then wind, but maybe they cost more for the CGI, since not so many thrown. The Wheel of Time turns .. but it was a beginning, just wish it'd been at the start of the episode. Showing what bitches the Red Ajah are.
If I hadn't read the books probably would give an 8 out of 10. As a book fan I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Not as faithful as adaptation as early GOT was, but not the abomination of so poorly adapted that was Legend of the Seeker or the not much better Shannara Chronicles. Hopefully Episode 2 doesn't throw in so many pointless/annoying changes.

Last edited:
Episode 2.
Whilst I liked showing how ruthless questioners are, for the rest
Dislikes: They power up Moraine in Episode 1, then have an Aes Sedai able to be taken and burnt whilst awake in this one. The one Power isn't like a wizard in D&D they don't need their voice to use it. And no Whitecloak (until Galad is in charge), would ever tell anyone to go to an Aes Sedai for help, even if it was the difference between life and death.

No Rand healing Bela. Taren Ferry dude not shown as selfish. Moraine makes it clear she sunk the barge, rather than being enigmatic.

Moraine saying the old blood runs deep in you, rather than deep in almost all of you. I'm guessing they are trying to hide Rand is the Dragon Reborn, but the non-Tam fever talk and this I'm not a fan of.

No Baelron, so no Min yet. Nynaeve been able to sneak up on Lan.

Likes: Moraine showing Egwene that Listening to the wind is channeling and she can learn. The blue stone. Ishamael starting to appear in the boys dreams. Of course then ruined by them immediately telling Moraine, rather than it be a secret that ends up causing troubles. The tale of Manetheren. The wolves and Perrin. Shadar Logoth and Mashadar looked great. Although again info dump first, rather than mystery, then an explanation. Also only Mat wandering off and no Mordeth. I'd guess that means Fain is one of the plotlines largely cut.

General thoughts on the first two episodes is they are trying to do a massive info dump of everything very quickly, rather than leaving mysteries or letting them build up slowly. I don't know how it'd seem for non-book readers, but they are leaving nothing to the imagination and the pacing is off, trying to get it all out so quickly.

Episode 1:

I quite liked it but there were a couple of things I didn't like.

Rand and Egwene just did not feel right. Neither did making Perrin married and then killing his missus accidently. It just makes no sense and is totally out of character for him.
The healing of Tam straight away and no feverish ranting.
The leaving of Emonds Field with everyone watching. They are supposed to leave covertly.
The whole one of you 4 is The Dragon- especially saying it in hearing shot of the whole village. It is supposed to be a surprise to them later. I get needing to info dump but you are taking away one of the biggest mysteries of the whole bloody first book.
Nyneave not being from Emonds Field. Not to mention her being dragged off by a Trolloc.
Matt's family. Just why? What purpose does it serve?
No Thom but we already knew that going in.

The biggest one, though. WHERE THE * WAS NARG?

Episode 3
No Elyas it appears. They are really cutting left and right. Tinkers aren't dressed colourfully. WTF? Random's killed an Aiel?

Thom rocks. At first was unsure replacing Howel Gode, but it worked.
Logain looks good. With their budget surely they could have stuck a few more soldiers around him then a wagon and a few Aes Sedai though. I know skipping Caemlyn, but he was defeated by an army along with the Aes Sedai.
Not as many issues as the first two episodes, but it's certainly a 'based on the books' rather than the 'books brought to the screen'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really only have 2 complaints from the 2nd episode:

Egwene touching the source straight away. That is not supposed to happen. I'll be okay with it if they don't OP her and let it be the long journey that it is before she can channel properly.

Moiraine finding out about the Ishy dreams straight away.

I do wish we got Baerlon and Min, though.

Not as many issues as the first two episodes, but it's certainly a 'based on the books' rather than the 'books brought to the screen'.
Try "inspired by", and it should have the warning "any resemblance with the books is purely coincidental".

The strangest thing I learned from watching the first 3 episodes - female Aes Sedai need to be members of an Industry Superfund, before they can channel:
1637330871906.jpeg

No Industry Superfund, no channeling, which is why the yellow couldn't extinguish the Whitecloak bonfire.

The third episode was definitely the best. There was definitely growing pains in the first episode, didn’t like
the fridging or Abel Cauthon
but I kind of understand why they did I it, someone on social media if the second was a case of Amazon stepping in and saying let’s do it this way, don’t think that’s right myself, however it’s not a deal breaker for me.

I actually do like
Egwene and Rand
in episode one, but I can see why some people wouldn’t.

The pacing was really off in episode 1. Got a bit better in episode 2, but was definitely the best in episode 3.

I actually really like this Thom, didn’t at first but by the end of the episode he was a favourite of mine, I can understand why people will take time to adjust however.

Really actually liked
Dana, thought she was a very well acted character and I didn’t pick up she was a dark friend until you were supposed to, and I liked the subtlety of Rand’s channelling at the tavern,
I think those worried about them changing the Dragon Reborn can at least rest easy on that. :D

A bit of a hard arse to the boys, but his general ‘for an old dude he’s dangerous’ was well done.
Lol let’s be honest though, Rand and Mat kind of need a hard arse in their lives at that point, otherwise they’d have ended up dead if it weren’t for Taver’en plot armour. :D

The guy that plays Thom is a very good actor however, whether you like this Thom or not, no denying that he grabs your attention for his limited screen time.

Thinking further on the pacing and info dump issues, I think a lot of this could have been fixed by the first episode being a pilot one, that was twice the length. They could have spent the first half giving more depth and some info to the characters and world, without it being so rushed, before having Moraine arrives and s**t hits the fan.

Lol let’s be honest though, Rand and Mat kind of need a hard arse in their lives at that point, otherwise they’d have ended up dead if it weren’t for Taver’en plot armour. :D

The guy that plays Thom is a very good actor however, whether you like this Thom or not, no denying that he grabs your attention for his limited screen time.
The only mystery is going to be is why does Thom even care? In the books it’s due to mixed up with Aes Sedai and his nephew. This he doesn’t know any of that. I hope they still keep his nephew backstory for the show. It doesn’t require much explanation, but adds some depth and motivation, that’s needed, which so far with so much thrown out, it’s very ‘wide and shallow’.

The only mystery is going to be is why does Thom even care? In the books it’s due to mixed up with Aes Sedai and his nephew. This he doesn’t know any of that. I hope they still keep his nephew backstory for the show. It doesn’t require much explanation, but adds some depth and motivation, that’s needed, which so far with so much thrown out, it’s very ‘wide and shallow’.
Unless Thom heard enough from
Dana that he knows that she at least thinks that one of the boys is The Dragon Reborn and I think it’s known well enough that the dragon will be the most powerful channeller in the world, which could be what makes the boys remind Thom of his nephew?

Brando Sando's thoughts on the first episode:

Yep, not surprised he had the same issues as book readers, however, there are a lot of non-readers that seem to enjoy the show, so like I said in the show thread, the changes made were probably the right decision to get neutrals over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back