Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I get your point, but I've always felt that luck went against us in that game. Collingwood had a nearly flawless opening quarter and we missed three or four sitters directly in front in the 4th (5 if you count Darling's drop).
Yes, if we'd nailed those it would've been an appropriate ritual Pie burial given our pressure and defence keeping the ball in our 50, and how the tide had turned. The Pies opened with a plan and an ambush and to their credit were in it for most of the game, the game was essentially theirs to lose, they were winning right up until the last minute or so. They suffocated Yeo, Darling and arguably Ryan, Rioli and Lecras (playmakers) for big chunks of the game. What the Eagles did was peg back 5 goals, stick to their plan and individual players slowly worked their way back into it, except for Lecras? But even back then we weren't sticking tackles and the Pies were clinical.
Anyway, ancient history now....

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I get your point, but I've always felt that luck went against us in that game. Collingwood had a nearly flawless opening quarter and we missed three or four sitters directly in front in the 4th (5 if you count Darling's drop).

Not to mention the cluster of points in the last. We should've won by more.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yes, if we'd nailed those it would've been an appropriate ritual Pie burial given our pressure and defence keeping the ball in our 50, and how the tide had turned. The Pies opened with a plan and an ambush and to their credit were in it for most of the game, the game was essentially theirs to lose, they were winning right up until the last minute or so. They suffocated Yeo, Darling and arguably Ryan, Rioli and Lecras (playmakers) for big chunks of the game. What the Eagles did was peg back 5 goals, stick to their plan and individual players slowly worked their way back into it, except for Lecras? But even back then we weren't sticking tackles and the Pies were clinical.
Anyway, ancient history now....

As is the Norm Smith 2018.

Many seem to believe the coaching/strategy success of a flag is the recipe for future success. I HOPE the Eagles of 2022 will start with a new strategy to extract the best from our playing group, not the 2021 game plan with a bit of fiddling around the edges.

On paper NicNat is a big plus but the way he is being used is very predictable, can we do better?

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
As is the Norm Smith 2018.

Many seem to believe the coaching/strategy success of a flag is the recipe for future success. I HOPE the Eagles of 2022 will start with a new strategy to extract the best from our playing group, not the 2021 game plan with a bit of fiddling around the edges.

On paper NicNat is a big plus but the way he is being used is very predictable, can we do better?
Agree, with new coaching etc, is a good time to revaluate the playing list and their individual skills, to get the best from them with a fresh game-plan. There's one foot in the old style and the other foot in the run+gun style - that's an improvement. But then there's one foot in the run+gun style and one foot in a new plan - that's forward thinking? The precision chip n'mark style is in their DNA now, another tool. It looked like they were trying to use both styles in 2021, to slow down and speed up, but often looked confused or just didn't have a consistent playing list to build any chemistry? Anyway, I'm no expert, but we'd want to see a visible improvement?
What other ruck stocks do we have to manage NN through games and the season - Williams, Allen, Darling, Gov?
If he can get through 2022 like he did 2021, with a fitter crew around him, might see some exciting footy?

And the holding the ball non-call on Howe in the goal square. Tackle by Cripps?
We could go all ‘Maynard’ on that non-call - shoulda won by 11.
We was robbed.

There were a couple of other missed umpire calls, a coat hanger on Sheed after he kicked his famous goal, a coat hanger on Ryan I think and Cox got away with a coat hanger(maybe one of those?)
The Pies come across as pretty grubby players, I'm sure we weren't angels, Rioli can dish it out...and anything goes in a GF.

Well, I think I'm overdue to watch the 18 GF again :moustache:
Might have to watch Ryan shitmix Maynard a few times

I thought the funniest thing was when Ryan gut-slammed Maynard AGAIN in another game after the GF.
Maynard was a mixture of fury and disbelief. Ryan couldn't hide the satisfaction!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Agree, with new coaching etc, is a good time to revaluate the playing list and their individual skills, to get the best from them with a fresh game-plan. There's one foot in the old style and the other foot in the run+gun style - that's an improvement. But then there's one foot in the run+gun style and one foot in a new plan - that's forward thinking? The precision chip n'mark style is in their DNA now, another tool. It looked like they were trying to use both styles in 2021, to slow down and speed up, but often looked confused or just didn't have a consistent playing list to build any chemistry? Anyway, I'm no expert, but we'd want to see a visible improvement?
What other ruck stocks do we have to manage NN through games and the season - Williams, Allen, Darling, Gov?
If he can get through 2022 like he did 2021, with a fitter crew around him, might see some exciting footy?

IF its as simple of minutes played for NN, we need to mix things up (imho). Resting him up forward makes the forward line a different challenge for the opposition to defend/match up.
The use of Oscar Allen forward or back can also be strategic rather than than filling holes.

I'm no expert either & 2021 was challenging with injuries, but we need more from the likes of Jack Darling as critical as that is.

Listening to Greg Clark and he credits Schofield a lot for helping him reinvent his game and addressing his flaws that saw him overlooked as a young potential draftee. Sounds like Schofield didn’t sugarcoat anything and told him what he needed to hear

Hopefully he can have the same impact with our young developing mids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Listening to Greg Clark and he credits Schofield a lot for helping him reinvent his game and addressing his flaws that saw him overlooked as a young potential draftee. Sounds like Schofield didn’t sugarcoat anything and told him what he needed to hear

Hopefully he can have the same impact with our young developing mids

Schofield did wonders for Wines who looked to be a B grade player but turned into an A grade so i think Schoey will be one of the best additions to the team.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Jacob Brennan back as development coach for the young players. Vozzo back in a new executive role with Sharmen and Bell in new roles.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Good move by the club and for Vozzo. Obviously he has some chops in talent acquisition etc but I've always thought it was a weird fit for him to be the footy boss.

His skill set is more suited for the business side of things and probably better to have the footy boss be someone with a greater understanding of coaching/list management/player development - all of the on-field components.

bitadash

Senior List
Mar 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Calgary Flames, Renault
With the inclusion of Clarke, a fit Yeo, some mongrel hopefully rammed down Doms throat by schoey and more natural progression of Telly - does anyone else share the opinion that Shuey should be taking up more of a high HFF role. Given his recent injury history, and his elite F50 nous, I see this as his natural progression as he gets on. A 60-40 split between FWD-Mid imo would be a great change up, along with Rioli playing slightly deeper HFF.
2 seriously great readers of the game would then be able to address ground ball gets, outside of the contest…

Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Ugh I hope Brennan has some semblance of ability in development coaching otherwise it stinks of another job for the boys appointment. The guy was a spud.

In further changes, former Eagle Jacob Brennan has joined the club's development program after success as a colts coach with East Fremantle and a subsequent role in West Coast's game development department.
Sounds here like he had an off-field role at the club in 2020. But has a decent amount of coaching behind him at EF, and sounds like he had some involvement in coaching the state team at one point too.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
With the inclusion of Clarke, a fit Yeo, some mongrel hopefully rammed down Doms throat by schoey and more natural progression of Telly - does anyone else share the opinion that Shuey should be taking up more of a high HFF role. Given his recent injury history, and his elite F50 nous, I see this as his natural progression as he gets on. A 60-40 split between FWD-Mid imo would be a great change up, along with Rioli playing slightly deeper HFF.
2 seriously great readers of the game would then be able to address ground ball gets, outside of the contest…
I am interested to see how West progresses with Schofield.

Gee once you're in the 'boiz club' they really do just keep you around in whatever appointment they can find for you.

Fraser, Brennan, hell even Hamish now (woman's midfield coach, for what, 3 months?) keep getting hidden in different roles.

Might email Nesbitt and find out why i didn't see any information about his son in all those role appointments.

What is his role Trev? Has he been in our recruitment team for long?

Ugh I hope Brennan has some semblance of ability in development coaching otherwise it stinks of another job for the boys appointment. The guy was a spud.

He coached East Freo colts for two years, during which time they had Jackson, Sharp, Rivers, Warner, Ruscoe and Joyce drafted. Sure, some or most of those would have been drafted if Joe Bloggs was coaching the side, but Rivers in particular calls Brennan “phenomenal” and credits him for the switch to defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back