Opinion Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mate Horse used to do it regularly, availing us of such classics as ‘What’s the time?’ and ‘the Helicopter’.

I’m not sure that it was universally appreciated so your point’s probably valid.
I knew a guy, his name was Blighty funnily enough, who'd do the same.

I’m just catching up with this Paine stuff.

Why has he been exiled and dumped as captain?

I assumed he was harassing the other woman, but it was a concensual interaction that happened ages ago.

I’m confused.
I’m confused too. This was investigated internally years ago. Since then he was made captain and served in that role for several years. Either CA are satisfied that it was a private if tasteless and tawdry action that doesn’t affect his capacity to captain the team and they stand up and back him, or they think it is problematic enough he can’t do the job and should stand down. Nothing about the 2017 act has changed this week except how many people know about it, and suddenly they’ve changed their position. If it was assessed as poor conduct but relatively minor and better kept private they could have followed through and provided the apology and covered the complainant’s legal fees to rule a line under it. Pathetic by the organisation whichever way you look at it.

Having said all that, Paine has branded himself as the steady, reliable family man who can lead the team back from the muddy moral waters of sandpapergate, so it’s kind of like when this kind of revelation happens to a family values politician - even if it doesn’t matter a lot, they made it important. It’s still on CA though - they all knew the story and the risk and chose to go with this role play anyway.

Ok, so I've known Bonnie and Painey for a long time, fair to say this has hit close to "home".

Just to get an idea of the character of Bonnie, (amazing woman) go grab a copy of the HS and read the article by Hamish McLachlan.

"Forgive, forget, rebuild"
I’m not reading that rubbish paper but thanks for the insight- she’s not the first or last wife to push through something like this but it must be much worse with the public gaze.

I’m confused too. This was investigated internally years ago. Since then he was made captain and served in that role for several years. Either CA are satisfied that it was a private if tasteless and tawdry action that doesn’t affect his capacity to captain the team and they stand up and back him, or they think it is problematic enough he can’t do the job and should stand down. Nothing about the 2017 act has changed this week except how many people know about it, and suddenly they’ve changed their position. If it was assessed as poor conduct but relatively minor and better kept private they could have followed through and provided the apology and covered the complainant’s legal fees to rule a line under it. Pathetic by the organisation whichever way you look at it.

Having said all that, Paine has branded himself as the steady, reliable family man who can lead the team back from the muddy moral waters of sandpapergate, so it’s kind of like when this kind of revelation happens to a family values politician - even if it doesn’t matter a lot, they made it important. It’s still on CA though - they all knew the story and the risk and chose to go with this role play anyway.

Yeah my understanding of the circumstances seems to be lacking.

Agree with everything you’ve said re CA.

But when I posted what I said, I was under the impression that the other party was onboard with the sexting and getting a dick pic. Now I’m thinking that wasn’t the case?

Yeah my understanding of the circumstances seems to be lacking.

Agree with everything you’ve said re CA.

But when I posted what I said, I was under the impression that the other party was onboard with the sexting and getting a dick pic. Now I’m thinking that wasn’t the case?
My impression is that the flirty/increasingly ribald conversation was a joint effort, he added photos (and possibly other texts) that she felt crossed a line.

Pretty dumb door to open on both sides, especially when he had a wife and baby at home. But then as he became Australian captain after the complaint and she did not go on to an excellent career in cricket it still looks like an example of how workplace power imbalance operates.

So Paine resigned because he became aware that an incident which happened in 2017(?) was going to be made public. And it was allegedly going to be made public because of a Newscorp investigation which uncovered it.
Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of Paine's actions, how long have Newscorp known about it? And did they deliberately wait until 3 weeks before the Ashes begins to threaten to go public with it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Travis Dean with the ton up v NSW 👍
Vic batsmen certainly like NSW bowling attack. 7 tons in 3 games ?

Vics with 5 🦆 and 3 other batsmen with 10 between them.

Last edited:
Posted the other day here and then deleted it about his accuser as l couldn't find any info / news about it. She's facing embezzlement charges from Cricket Tasmania ?

( in no way condoning Tim's behaviour )

What a mess.
Yes, mess is one way to describe it......... Painey isn't the first player involved with this person, the other fell on his sword (not a great phrase) and resigned from CT. The way CA have handled this has been absolutely disgraceful!!!

I'm not condoning what went on, but there's always two sides.

Posted the other day here and then deleted it about his accuser as l couldn't find any info / news about it. She's facing embezzlement charges from Cricket Tasmania ?

What a mess.
The day you posted it (I did see it before deletion), it was mentioned on radio about fraud and another alleged serious financial crime.

What a mess.
"She reportedly stole a sum of $1942 in cash and a Hobart Hurricanes family membership worth $338 through deception. Besides that, [name redacted] also collected $705 by deceiving a cricket junior at Tasmania and platinum membership."

Allegedly, of course. 63 charges in total, from what I read.

Love Cummins. But not a fan of fast bowlers being Captain.
i dont make good decisions when im tired, so hate to think what it would be like after bowling 20 overs on a flat deck in 38 C !

Interesting game in India. India out for 350 after they were 250-4. NZ now 130 without loss. So a case of India winning day 1, NZ day 2

Southee is also turning into a fine bowler as he's got older. Its like watching a good left armer spinner bowl at 130k. Slower one ball ,faster the next, wide of the crease, close to the umpire etc and the ball is always just doing a little.

Love Cummins. But not a fan of fast bowlers being Captain.
i dont make good decisions when im tired, so hate to think what it would be like after bowling 20 overs on a flat deck in 38 C !

Interesting game in India. India out for 350 after they were 250-4. NZ now 130 without loss. So a case of India winning day 1, NZ day 2

Southee is also turning into a fine bowler as he's got older. Its like watching a good left armer spinner bowl at 130k. Slower one ball ,faster the next, wide of the crease, close to the umpire etc and the ball is always just doing a little.
The tiredness thing is a furphy, IMO.

Nobody has ever had a problem with a captain who has batted all day making decisions.

The tiredness thing is a furphy, IMO.

Nobody has ever had a problem with a captain who has batted all day making decisions.
Yeah true, but I guess they normally field at slip and can get some rest.
Be interesting to see how he goes. Hes certainly got the IQ to make a good fist of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back