Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

I get a sense that instead of assessing Browne on his merits, people are against him due to his friendship with Eddie.
That is a very illogical and irrational basis on which to cast a vote.

On any objective assessment of experience, and given the inevitable future clashes with the AFL, is there really any alternative to Browne?

I have no concerns about Browne & his ticket coming on board, already been more forthcoming and decisive with what he wants to implement at the Pies and take on the AFL with the soft cap etc, imo he is exactly the type of president we need and I don’t believe he is an Ed clone, his initial plans are more forthcoming and will place the Pies back into a dominant position which is more than Korda has publicly stated in the past 12 months, although Korda has brought in stability which was required since Ed’s departure.
The future is bright!

Last edited:
I get a sense that instead of assessing Browne on his merits, people are against him due to his friendship with Eddie.

On any objective assessment of experience, and given the inevitable future clashes with the AFL, is there really any alternative to Browne?

I am sceptical of him because I don't respect the skulduggery he employed to get this position now, and his platform lacks a lot of detail around the how. It's all campaign speak.

But at the end of the day, people are voting in something that they are incredibly passionate about and will have a direct impact on them. Who are you to question why people are voting the way they are? Your constant barrow pushing of Browne is bordering on weird to be honest.

Judging Browne just on his friendship with Ed doesn’t sound like a great idea to me either.

But many folks who are aren’t voting for Browne have cited other reasons.

Yes, yes there are.

Last edited:
Another PR puff piece behind the paywall of this awful publication. At least we know he's got the ******* Herald Sun on his side.

Yeah, it’s pretty poor and disrespectful of the process.

We’ve had voting open for 1 day, it’s open for 20 more days, and they’re already effectively announcing him as having won it.

Yeah, it’s pretty poor and disrespectful of the process.

We’ve had voting open for 1 day, it’s open for 20 more days, and they’re already effectively announcing him as having won it.

Most believe he will have the votes. He is also the only one that wants to lead the presidency 🤷‍♀️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am sceptical of him because I don't respect the skulduggery he employed to get this position now, and his platform lacks a lot of detail around the how. It's all campaign speak.

But at the end of the day, people are voting in something that they are incredibly passionate about and will have a direct impact on them. Who are you to question why people are voting the way they are? Your constant barrow pushing of Browne is bordering on weird to be honest.

Constant barrow pushing?
Today is the first time I’ve posted here in months.
My opinion on this issue is no more or less important than anyone else.
That you actually question the “maneuvering” is to not appreciate that it’s actually a strength, moving fwd, that will be very useful in negotiations with the AFL and other parties.

Most believe he will have the votes.

Why have an election then?

IMO these articles by the Herald Sun are disrespectful to us, the members. It’s the first time we’ve voted in a long time. A lot of people have wanted this for a long time. The EGM folks collected a couple thousand signatures from people calling for this election.

It’s also disrespectful to the candidates. They’re putting themselves out there, telling the world their contact details, submitting themselves to interviews, answering countless questions. It’s a lot harder than having a pleasant chat and a cup of dandelion tea with Christine Holgate. Our club is better for having the 11 people throw their hat into the ring and they should be respected.

Not even the most partisan paper would do this for a government election.

He is also the only one that wants to lead the presidency 🤷‍♀️

He’s the only person coveting it, sure. That doesn’t mean that he’s the only one who can or would do it.

Last edited:
Constant barrow pushing?
Today is the first time I’ve posted here in months.
My opinion on this issue is no more or less important than anyone else.
That you actually question the “maneuvering” is to not appreciate that it’s actually a strength, moving fwd, that will be very useful in negotiations with the AFL and other parties.

You have backed Browne since the beginning, before he even had a platform and before anyone knew what he actually stood for. With 10 other nominees now putting their hand up, you've still completely shut off to any other option as if it's Browne or the highway. Seriously, NO ONE ELSE is qualified in your eyes?

Let me guess - you voted for Carp, Roberts and Holgate just because Browne told you to, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many of the candidates are actually very good prospects and I would be happy to have any of them on the board. It'll be unfortunate for those that do miss out, but I suppose that's what happens when you have more candidates than positions.
Plus they'll be an extra few next year? Or at least Korda's position up for grabs.

Last edited:
Plus they'll be an extra few next year? Or at least Korda's position up for grabs.

+ I’d imagine whoever ends up with Wilson’s seat will be up for election again next year.

AFAIK, the seats are deliberately staggered 2 + 2 + 3 becoming vacant each year. That is to allow board continuity. This year is the “3” year. Last year was Licuria and Sizer. Next year must be Korda and Wilson.

I wonder how they decide who the unfortunate person is who gets Wilson’s seat and has to go through this again next year? Maybe they’ll draw lots? Maybe they’ll do it based on the person with the lowest of the top four vote count?

Many of rhe candidates are actually very good prospects and I would be happy to have any of them on the board. It'll be unfortunate for those that do miss out, …

Browne did say (presuming he’ll win) that he’ll work with all the unsuccessful candidates to see how they have role with helping the club

You have backed Browne since the beginning, before he even had a platform and before anyone knew what he actually stood for. With 10 other nominees now putting their hand up, you've still completely shut off to any other option as if it's Browne or the highway. Seriously, NO ONE ELSE is qualified in your eyes?

Let me guess - you voted for Carp, Roberts and Holgate just because Browne told you to, right?

I think you’ve got me confused with someone else - but feel to link the numerous posts, I written backing Browne, with the emphatic insistence you are alleging.

More than happy for you make a case, that any other candidate has the breath of experience in the critical areas to succeed, matching Browne.
Or conversely, for you to outline critical deficiencies Browne has that impedes his push for the job.

Over to you.

Last edited:
I think you’ve got me confused with someone else - but feel to link the numerous posts, I written backing Browne, with the emphatic insistence you are alleging.

More than happy for you make a case, that any other candidate has the breath of experience in the critical areas to succeed, matching Browne.
Or conversely, for you to outline critical deficiencies Browne has that impedes his push for the job.

Over to you.
I didn’t vote for Browne. Just don’t get a good vibe from him.

I'm against Browne because he has shown zero integrity through this whole process, has been supported by a sympathetic media group pushing him and hasn't offered a vision for the future of our footy club. Saying 'I want to win premierships' doesn't represent a vision in my view.

VRC chairman Neil Wilson says he is as committed as ever to help Collingwood achieve success on and off the field after an eventful first seven months on the club’s board.
A lifelong Magpies supporter, Wilson was headhunted by an external recruitment agency to participate in an extensive director selection process earlier this year.

He was then appointed to the board in April as a replacement for former president Eddie McGuire.

But while Wilson had been assured during the interview process that his membership status guaranteed his eligibility to run for the board, it was later revealed his MCC membership nominating Collingwood as his club of choice meant he wasn’t a qualified voting member.

That means Wilson is now one of 11 candidates vying for four vacant board positions, including would-be president Jeff Browne.

Eligible Collingwood members have until December 10 to cast their vote.

Wilson prefers to look to the future rather than what happened in the past, saying: “It’s great to see so many people showing an interest in the club by nominating for the board.”

“The only one I know well is (fellow board member) Christine Holgate, who I have enjoyed working with in the time that I have been on the board

“My time on the board has given me even more confidence that I can contribute to the club. There are some great things going on at the club and there has been good progress with the teams, coaching positions, the ‘Do Better’ report and maintaining a strong financial position during the difficult COVID-19 impacted times.

“The members will choose the board and the board will then work out where the leadership sits. It is not about the individuals; it is about what we can do together to provide the club with everything it needs to give it the best chance for success on and off the field and court.”

Wilson was sought for the board role because of his executive expertise, including as the VRC chief executive before becoming chairman.

“I’ve been a CEO of a sporting club (the VRC), which means I have got significant experience in the operational aspects of sponsorship, membership, running big events and building infrastructure, which I think can only add value to Collingwood,” Wilson said.

He has previously been a Collingwood voting member, but in the past few years his membership had been as an MCC member with a Magpies club support package.

“I’ve been a Collingwood supporter since I opened my eyes,” Wilson said of his passion for the Pies.

“I grew up in the country listening to the footy. When I came to the city I went to Victoria Park to watch most games, and then on to the MCG when the move was made.

“It’s a great family tradition, with my mother and my children Collingwood supporters.”

He even converted his wife - once a Carlton supporter - into switching to the Magpies.

Long-time journalist and 37-year Magpies member Barrie Cassidy recently led calls for Collingwood to change its constitution by overhauling its voting rights to open up elections to all members - not only Social Club, ‘Club 5’ and ‘Legends’ members.

Of the Pies’ 80,000-plus members, those permitted to vote this year will be less than 15,000.

A number of AFL clubs, and many other major sporting clubs including the VRC, allow all members to vote in their elections.

I'm against Browne because he has shown zero integrity through this whole process, has been supported by a sympathetic media group pushing him and hasn't offered a vision for the future of our footy club. Saying 'I want to win premierships' doesn't represent a vision in my view.
But 20% mate, 20%!!!!

He gives me visions of US politician in a ticker tape parade, brass band playing, kissing babies, waving insanely & smiling inanely.

Quite impressed with some of Browne's stances.
  • Pushing for 11 home games at the MCG (current arrangement is 9 at the MCG, 2 at Marvel) = :whitecheck:
  • Regular members forums = :whitecheck:
  • At least one director(s) sitting with legends members at every home game = :whitecheck:
  • Upholding financial independence of the club = :whitecheck:
  • Pushing for a review of the soft cap (footy department tax) = :whitecheck:
  • Maintain and enhance community programs = :whitecheck:
  • Seeking out new long-term sponsors with CGU and Holden exiting = :whitecheck:
My reservations with Browne is his closeness to McGuire, still unclear on whether he supports term limits and his level of involvement with the football department.

As it stands, him and his ticket are the most likely candidates I will be voting for.

While other candidates have strong backgrounds, I remain concerned about whether they can work with existing board members and/or with Browne and co.

At least we know Browne has been in regular dialogue with current board members and has a ticket behind him.
I’m fairly certain Browne is his own person and has forged his own successful career.
I actually think his close relationship with McGuire will be a positive if anything. Eddie has many great ideas and really a great thinker about the game and it’s future direction. Browne can pick his brain and make his own decisions from these discussions.

Having said that, I’m actually indifferent to him. I think he could have made his push end of the season rather than destabilise the club during the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back