Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

Such as minimum wage, great idea. Came about as a way of making it easier to employ while men for more money at the expense of jobs for black men for less. Not capitalism.

What??!
Minimum wage was Brough about to stop employers, who held all the power, from paying starvation wages. Unions brought this about because the rich held the power.

Difference in NSW is that the corrupt Libs and Nats don’t go to jail. They get protected or promoted.

Long Bow. I'm apolitical, so don't care about the parties, but the Obeid stuff was mind boggling corruption.
With a NSW Mining Minister in his bed, if that happened here the corruption would make that fella (public servant) Whyte that went to gaol today small fry

Which ones are they?

Current NSW pollies in federal parliament. Recently gone premier and deputy in NSW. Overwhelming sense of entitlement to spend public money, not to benefit the public, but to benefit the re election of the party - to an obscene extent. It’s sytemic and corrupt.
There are many examples of corruption in the ALP too, usually about individual enrichment to the disadvantage of the party.

Current NSW pollies in federal parliament. Recently gone premier and deputy in NSW. Overwhelming sense of entitlement to spend public money, not to benefit the public, but to benefit the re election of the party - to an obscene extent. It’s sytemic and corrupt.
There are many examples of corruption in the ALP too, usually about individual enrichment to the disadvantage of the party.
Who?

Rittenhouse verdict in US.. Very glad I live in a country with "some" gun control and not one where a red neck batshit crazy racists can go out shoot and kill 2 people with military style weapon and get off with self defence because someone fought back...

Rittenhouse verdict in US.. Very glad I live in a country with "some" gun control and not one where a red neck batshit crazy racists can go out shoot and kill 2 people with military style weapon and get off with self defence because someone fought back...

Cooked take.

1. Rittenhouse was able to prove in his defense that he was genuinely under attack and in fear for his life. The surviving shooting victim corroborating that helped Rittenhouse out immensely as well. The acquittal is the right result.

2. People should have a right to self defense. You should be happy if you live in a jurisdiction where you can act to protect your own life and aren't thrown in jail for that after the fact.

3. A person getting off a murder charge by proving self-defense is a weird time to rail against the weapon he used to defend himself. Particularly singling out the AR-15 as being "military style;" it's the most common firearm on the US civilian market because it's useful for the target-shooting, home-defense and hunting purposes people usually buy firearms for.

Kyle Rittenhouse is an idiot who should never have been at that riot with a firearm. But him being able to escape a murder charge by claiming self-defense is pretty far from the US allowing racists to go on random murder sprees without consequences.

Cooked take.

1. Rittenhouse was able to prove in his defense that he was genuinely under attack and in fear for his life. The surviving shooting victim corroborating that helped Rittenhouse out immensely as well. The acquittal is the right result.

2. People should have a right to self defense. You should be happy if you live in a jurisdiction where you can act to protect your own life and aren't thrown in jail for that after the fact.

3. A person getting off a murder charge by proving self-defense is a weird time to rail against the weapon he used to defend himself. Particularly singling out the AR-15 as being "military style;" it's the most common firearm on the US civilian market because it's useful for the target-shooting, home-defense and hunting purposes people usually buy firearms for.

Kyle Rittenhouse is an idiot who should never have been at that riot with a firearm. But him being able to escape a murder charge by claiming self-defense is pretty far from the US allowing racists to go on random murder sprees without consequences.

Baked, roasted and grilled take.
Rittenhouse got off because he was a whiney, crying, child who was most importantly white.
He chose to cross state/county lines with an unlicensed weapon to protect property that no asked him to do. Hardly “home defence”. Yet the jury decided that was not an intent to cause the loss of life.

Fortunately this kind of jury decision does not set precedents.

As for your statement that AR-15s are the weapon of choice among US civilians. That is an indictment, not an excuse.
Any American with automatic weapons is a potential murderer. The fact that so many of these are in the hands of racist rednecks is chilling.

Do you not read the news or something? The LNP has been full of rorts for the past 5 years. Car parks, Sports clubs, funding goes to their districts at a 9-1 ratio, not to mention the $$$ they are taking in from special interest groups (fossil fuel interests).
Maybe stop asking questions and actually do some individual research.

Do you not read the news or something? The LNP has been full of rorts for the past 5 years. Car parks, Sports clubs, funding goes to their districts at a 9-1 ratio, not to mention the $$$ they are taking in from special interest groups (fossil fuel interests).
Maybe stop asking questions and actually do some individual research.
Was a simple question, who?

Rittenhouse got off because he was a whiney, crying, child who was most importantly white.

He got off because he was chased down, one person tried to grab the gun off him, a second assaulted him with a skateboard and a third pulled a gun on him. It fits the bill to "prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself.”

Rittenhouse being a moron who shouldn't have attended the riot doesn't change the fact that when he was there he had a right to defend himself.

As for your statement that AR-15s are the weapon of choice among US civilians. That is an indictment, not an excuse.
Any American with automatic weapons is a potential murderer. The fact that so many of these are in the hands of racist rednecks is chilling.

It's a good thing then that AR15s aren't "automatic weapons" then and actual automatic guns can't be legally owned unless they were made before 1986 (which means the ones actually circulating are old and very expensive.) ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got off because he was chased down, one person tried to grab the gun off him, a second assaulted him with a skateboard and a third pulled a gun on him. It fits the bill to "prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself.”

Rittenhouse being a moron who shouldn't have attended the riot doesn't change the fact that when he was there he had a right to defend himself.

It's a good thing then that AR15s aren't "automatic weapons" then and actual automatic guns can't be legally owned unless they were made before 1986 (which means the ones actually circulating are old and very expensive.) ;)

So, he fronts up to a place with intent to cause harm.
This intent is clear and advertised.
And when the people he intends to kill or hurt attempt to stop him, he uses the gun he traveled across state lines to kill those people.
Any mass murderer will now use the defence that he was trying to protect himself. That the jury (and you) bought it is sad and disgraceful.

and you know more about guns than me. Good for you. Bad for the rest of us.

Cooked take.

Do you honestly believe a black man would have been acquitted of the same charges?

So, he fronts up to a place with intent to cause harm.
This intent is clear and advertised.
And when the people he intends to kill or hurt attempt to stop him, he uses the gun he traveled across state lines to kill those people.
Any mass murderer will now use the defence that he was trying to protect himself. That the jury (and you) bought it is sad and disgraceful.

and you know more about guns than me. Good for you. Bad for the rest of us.

If he fronted up to the place to kill people he wouldn't have gotten off on self defense. Surely at some point you see the ruling and re-examine a prior you had about the case?

As for knowing more about guns I know it's nitpicking but if you're making claims about AR15s being military-style automatic weapons so who owns one is a potential murderer it's worth pointing out.

Do you honestly believe a black man would have been acquitted of the same charges?

Honestly I don't know (I imagine the major factor would be whether a black man in a lower profile case would be able to recieve the legal representation needed to contest the charge or if he'd have to take a plea bargain,) but hopefully they would.

Let's say worst case scenario and a black man doesn't get off though. Should the court make a shithouse ruling for Rittenhouse as well to even the ledger?

If he fronted up to the place to kill people he wouldn't have gotten off on self defense. Surely at some point you see the ruling and re-examine a prior you had about the case?

You are saying that the result came in, so therefore it is correct. Very deterministic of you. Have you said that about every legal decision, ever?

With that bumbling sorry excuse for a prosecutor I think Hitler could have gotten off…
I listened to an hour of his cross examination and closing statements today. Hard listening

With that bumbling sorry excuse for a prosecutor I think Hitler could have gotten off…
I listened to an hour of his cross examination and closing statements today. Hard listening

Also the comment section on those verdict videos are a scary place. Nothing but rejoice for the constitutional rights of gun owners and stand ground laws.
What a basket case

Ha! If he were black, the question wouldn’t be whether would he have gotten off, it would be “is he alive?” Can’t imagine how many times a black man who had s**t two people already would have been shot by the police during arrest… I kind of laugh. But I really dont.

My issue re: Rittenhouse isn't the murder charges - prosecution ****ed up by overcharging those; very difficult to prove intentional homicide / intentional attempted homicide, should have gone for manslaughter.

However, how he got found not guilty for reckless endangerment (resulting in multiple deaths) I've no idea. He's entered a situation where it was reasonable to expect potential danger, that he was untrained and unprepared for. The fact he got into the situation where he had to use lethal force was entirely predictable and speaks to his lack of duty of care, or reckless attitude toward the situation. So yeah, baffled by that one.

He'll get hit civilly for wrongful death I'm guessing and his parents will possibly be on the hook, given one of them drove him there. Won't matter though as he'll rake it in from right-wing media and benefactors, which sucks as this level of stupidity really shouldn't be rewarded.

That's exactly what does, and is happening. Do you honestly believe that no one other those with white skin get aquitted of killing someone under the self defence law? I can't believe the stupidity of those trying to make this about race or skin colour. It reeks of trouble making. We should get on as humans despite skin colour and these trouble makers aren't helping.

Last edited:
As long as people think social division is about race and NOT about class then they get to keep doing their thing while the rest fight it out between themselves.
So true. Whilst there is undoubtedly a racial element to these things which shouldn't be ignored, if removed then the correlation between low socio-economic conditons (and everything that comes with that; generally less educated, poorer health outcomes both physical and mental, limited social mobility etc) and crime is startling. Race merely exacerbates an already unlevel playing field, particularly in America where:
A) Public investment has been gutted ever since Reagan came to power and money started to trickle up and consolidate in the hands of a relative few via tax breaks/cuts/loopholes.
B) Racism is still ingrained in their society, unsurprisingly given segregation only ended within the last 60yrs - going to take generations and social mobility to fix that.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back