Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Brian Cook has recently admitted Carlton's rebuild still has "a fair way to go" in his words.

Many people are optimistic about Carlton's on field prospects in 2022, sharing a belief that the Blues have built a solid list, which was underperforming under David Teague, and that Michael Voss has what it takes to get the best out of Carlton's list, by instilling hard edge and mongrel into the players which was lacking under David Teague.

However, Brian Cook's comments indicate he's not one who shares the belief that the list is ready and a case of underperforming under the previous coach, instead acknowledging there's still a lot of work to do before Carlton's rebuild is complete. Voss may get the best out of the list and instill mongrel, but Cook knows that Carlton's list still needs a lot of work.

Cook is up there with Peter Jackson and Brendon Gale when it comes to the best CEO's in the AFL, with Cook's previous track record at both West Coast and Geelong giving every reason for fans to be optimistic about Cook being the man to turn Carlton around, in the same manner in which Jackson turned Melbourne around, and in which Gale turned Richmond around.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not Cook is the man to lead Carlton out of the wilderness, and whether or not we'll see another historically successful powerhouse club return from the wilderness, given we've recently witnessed other historically successful powerhouse clubs in Richmond and Melbourne both return from the wilderness.

Do people believe Cook is the man to lead Carlton out of the wilderness, and given Carlton and Essendon are the two historically successful powerhouse clubs still in the wilderness, are Carlton more or less likely to see a return to on field success before Essendon do?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
:think:
1637404840693.png

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Brian Cook has recently admitted Carlton's rebuild still has "a fair way to go" in his words.

Many people are optimistic about Carlton's on field prospects in 2022, sharing a belief that the Blues have built a solid list, which was underperforming under David Teague, and that Michael Voss has what it takes to get the best out of Carlton's list, by instilling hard edge and mongrel into the players which was lacking under David Teague.

However, Brian Cook's comments indicate he's not one who shares the belief that the list is ready and a case of underperforming under the previous coach, instead acknowledging there's still a lot of work to do before Carlton's rebuild is complete. Voss may get the best out of the list and instill mongrel, but Cook knows that Carlton's list still needs a lot of work.

Cook is up there with Peter Jackson and Brendon Gale when it comes to the best CEO's in the AFL, with Cook's previous track record at both West Coast and Geelong giving every reason for fans to be optimistic about Cook being the man to turn Carlton around, in the same manner in which Jackson turned Melbourne around, and in which Gale turned Richmond around.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not Cook is the man to lead Carlton out of the wilderness, and whether or not we'll see another historically successful powerhouse club return from the wilderness, given we've recently witnessed other historically successful powerhouse clubs in Richmond and Melbourne both return from the wilderness.

Do people believe Cook is the man to lead Carlton out of the wilderness, and given Carlton and Essendon are the two historically successful powerhouse clubs still in the wilderness, are Carlton more or less likely to see a return to on field success before Essendon do?

Clickbait post.

He said they the club has ‘a fair way to go’ but what does that entail? Top 8? Too 4? Flag?

In reality clubs technically rebuild their lists every year and Carlton are still in the process of becoming a competitive side with a balanced, finals-quality list.

What he’s said WRT salary cap allocation and the equalisation is spot on. There are only minor differences between lists, and whichever clubs can best utilise their cap space/convert their TPP into wins are going to be best positioned over a period of time.

As CEO he’s tempering public expectation, but internally the club would have the belief they can make finals if they get enough right next season.

As CEO he’s tempering public expectation, but internally the club would have the belief they can make finals if they get enough right next season.
Every club, every player, believes they can make finals every year with the right moves.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I agree with him but it is also smart to temper expectations. It's better than Liddle saying the next coach has to make finals in 2022, they could sneak into the 8 if everything goes their way but they'll need a couple of years under Voss to consolidate their gameplan and they still have spots in the list to fill and some more maturing of their current lot.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Brian Cook to be looking for another job soon, they don't tolerate that kind of opinion at carlton. Next year is the big one!
He’s reiterating what’s already been said by LS; 2022 is about improvement.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
To not have to listen to gimmicky marketing types like Liddle is so refreshing.
This stage of last pre-season I basically tuned out of anything that Liddle or Teague would say as it all meant nothing to me as a supporter until I saw any sign of either of those two learning anything from past mistakes. I hoped the players would improve but I had next to no confidence in the CEO, coach or new list manager. If Liddle was still there now I was seriously thinking for first time in three decades not to be a member. This is like chalk and cheese 12 months later in terms of confidence in someone in a leadership position at the club. This guy I have full confidence in running our club as he is as genuine as it gets. Liddle I had no confidence in at all by the end of 2020 season. Was just a guy with gift of the gab that might impress you at first but by the time you listened to him and seen many of his decisions over a couple of years it was clear he had no idea how to run a football club as a CEO and if he stayed on more and more of his decisions would do more and more damage.

Back