Crows Chat That 'Doesnt Deserve Its Own Thread' Thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical us though. Our national draft picks were awful but we did amazingly well everywhere else.

1996 trade / draft period

- traded 32 and 47 for a 27 year old Barry Standfield. Played 1 season and then retired.

- used pick 13 on Tom Gilligan who played 3 games.

Drafted Eccles and Rintoul in the 60s which kinda salvaged things (+ a flag).

I watched Modra's 93 Mark of the year again on youtube. Now, I think this mark is criminally underrated. I think his aerial skill made it look way easier than it actually was. The hang time was enormous. Very few high marks exist where the player is able to hang and wait for the ball to arrive. Most players leap into the ball like Moorcrofts terribly overrated mark of the year. Modra not only judged the path of the ball, had Archer hanging off him, literally holding on, he still managed to jump onto the shoulders of the other North player and hang there until the ball arrived. Thats the difference between a classy aerialist like Modra, Burton, Howe etc and assy like Moorcroft. The classy just can read the flight of the ball, make a snap judgement on timing and are able to get the leap and hang time.

I watched Modra's 93 Mark of the year again on youtube. Now, I think this mark is criminally underrated. I think his aerial skill made it look way easier than it actually was. The hang time was enormous. Very few high marks exist where the player is able to hang and wait for the ball to arrive. Most players leap into the ball like Moorcrofts terribly overrated mark of the year. Modra not only judged the path of the ball, had Archer hanging off him, literally holding on, he still managed to jump onto the shoulders of the other North player and hang there until the ball arrived. Thats the difference between a classy aerialist like Modra, Burton, Howe etc and assy like Moorcroft. The classy just can read the flight of the ball, make a snap judgement on timing and are able to get the leap and hang time.
I miss those marks from players at our Club.

What I loved best about them is that both Modra and Burton held the ball even when they came to ground. Or in Burton's case, more hang time over the shoulders of a Carlton player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I loved best about them is that both Modra and Burton held the ball even when they came to ground. Or in Burton's case, more hang time over the shoulders of a Carlton player.

What's overlooked most about the modra mark is how early he goes. He is on top of the North Melbourne player waiting before they even cut to the close up goal square marking contest. This alone I think makes it better. Burton's mark is good and yeah the ability to always hold the ball is part of the skill.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s jarring hearing the commentator say Modra’s kicked his seventh, I think he kicked 10 in this game. The game has obviously changed a lot since then but Modra would kick those sorts of hauls so regularly that it was easy to take it for granted. I know I was too young to really understand the rare talent I was seeing. The perfect combination of athletic ability, strength and skill. And with movie star good looks and a bad boy reputation too. If you tried to invent in your head the perfect player to attract crowds fans it still wouldn’t match the reality of Tony Modra. His knee injury in the 97 prelim was just so cruel.

It’s jarring hearing the commentator say Modra’s kicked his seventh, I think he kicked 10 in this game. The game has obviously changed a lot since then but Modra would kick those sorts of hauls so regularly that it was easy to take it for granted. I know I was too young to really understand the rare talent I was seeing. The perfect combination of athletic ability, strength and skill. And with movie star good looks and a bad boy reputation too. If you tried to invent in your head the perfect player to attract crowds fans it still wouldn’t match the reality of Tony Modra. His knee injury in the 97 prelim was just so cruel.

more a lad than a bad boy.

more a lad than a bad boy.

Yeah the stories in Hodges book about Modra were hilarious. Disappear to the pub and simply stay there for days. hahaha. Or the time he stole the team bus with hodges on it while on one of the Crows torture camps in the early days to again, go to the pub. The man could drink. Wasn't a bad boy at all though. Just wanted to have a good time.

Was sitting behind the goals & had a birdseye view of that Mods mark & many others.

So many memories....

Was sitting behind the goals & had a birdseye view of that Mods mark & many others.

So many memories....
+1

Champ, I was at the end of the ground and I thought I could see a bird, no a plane, no it was Modra. :drunk:

Best memory, 1993 Final H&A "We're in the finals".

Burton for all his faults has a heck of a highlight reel too. Can't say he didn't live up to his nickname.
Like a lot of things at our club the last 10 years - the separation of playing time and admin time has made for a difficult transition for some

Like a lot of things at our club the last 10 years - the separation of playing time and admin time has made for a difficult transition for some
Definitely important to separate the two things in your mind. Poor performance as GM shouldn't diminish the contribution given on the field.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back