Did Someone Say KFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I'd prefer to be one of the 26 million refugees rather than one of the three quarters of a million entrusted to look after the land, most without the skills to do so.
The refugees would be the first to knock on the door of their chosen country of asylum with container loads of goods and lots of money and skills. The indigenous folk would have to revert to a more basic way of living, albeit with the massive infrastructure of cities and roads at their disposal.

Tacky. I hope they are paying us a lot, and much more than was offered by other suitors.

Also cant say I'd be happy to see our players used in the marketing, eating this absolute crap. The same goes for the Subway rubbish which was foisted onto the players a few years ago.

I know its just fast food, and we've haven't signed up with a weapons manufacturer or the Japanese whale research program. But couldn't it be an organic food chain? :p

Very limited list if we are going down this path:
  1. No gambling
  2. No smoking
  3. No alcohol
  4. No fast food
  5. No mining companies (climate change)
  6. No Facebook etc. (Mental health)
  7. No airlines (climate change)
  8. No sporting goods companies that don't sign up to the anti slave labour policies
  9. No soft drinks (health)
  10. No energy drinks (health)
  11. No meat products (Four'N Twenty, leather footballs, etc.)
  12. Etc.
By the way you are aware that the AFL is sponsored by Carlton Draft, Coca Cola, McDonalds, Sportsbet, Jim Beam, Monster Energy, Wolf Blass, Wonder White (Racist name), etc.

No men
No women
Only pan sexuals, A sexual and gender neutrals.
Oh and Horses. But ban the cup too.

KFC's branding and advertising is tacky as hell. That's what I associate it with when I see the logos on our jumper. Not the best.

Also I've already seen the association between the Colonel, and the stereotypes with fried chicken and our do better report being brought up on social media. Again, not the best.

Fried chicken is an American African generalisation not indigenous Australian.

I'll buy extra for you.

Their dollars are as good as any one else's and it keeps rhe club pumping along.

Stop the snobberyishness, not everything has to be aligned with someone's favourite cause either.

Pretty ironic to be taking that sort of position on KFC really, given that the sponsor they are replacing was an insurer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly.Perhaps all the people who are complaining about KFC should make out a list of all the companies that are acceptable to them as sponsors and all the companies that are not,and send it onto the club.The club should then follow due diligence and carefully study the list,before ignoring it as they rightly should

Companies that sell vices (gambling, tobacco, alcohol, junk food, etc) will always outspend virtuous companies on sponsorship, they need to in order to legitimise and sanitise their product.

Pretty ironic to be taking that sort of position on KFC really, given that the sponsor they are replacing was an insurer.

Sure, insurance companies aren’t sexy, but they do provide an essential service to today’s economy. Take away insurance and risk management and our economy goes back to the Middle Ages.

Remove generic fried chicken from todays world, and after a short period of withdrawal from some of the population, the world would happily go on.

People whinge over everything now days. Who cares what our sponsor is

More like “People have got an opinion on everything now days” …

… and like anything you get some people who agree with it and some that don’t. It would have happened no matter who our sponsor is.

Not unreasonable that there are people who aren’t doing cartwheels down Olympic Boulevard over KFC becoming a premier sponsor.

More like “People have got an opinion on everything now days” …

… and like anything you get some people who agree with it and some that don’t. It would have happened no matter who our sponsor is.

Not unreasonable that there are people who aren’t doing cartwheels down Olympic Boulevard over KFC becoming a premier sponsor.

Opinions are great. How does a sponsor actually effect any fan. Hence the people whinge over everything

Opinions are great. How does a sponsor actually effect any fan.

Good question.

Consider that there is more to sponsorship than simply providing billboard space. The sponsor is attaching their brand to the brand of the footy club. It’s why the sponsors get upset when a club they are sponsoring has negative PR around their brand values (racism, sexism, etc). And it goes both ways. I can’t think of any real world examples, but a fictional example was in the plot of this season of Ted Lasso. So a new sponsorship deal is a marriage of sorts. A polygamous marriage where there is a stable of sponsors which all need to get along and have compatible values. To cite an obvious example, we can’t reasonably take money from the Victorian Responsible Gaming Foundation (as we do) and Sportsbet at the same time.

Brand is identity. Passionate fans have a sense of their own identity tied up in the brand of the footy club. If you were instead a St Kilda or WCE supporter, you wouldn’t be the same person.

So if the identity of the passionate fan is tied up in some way with the identity (brand) of their footy club, and the brand of a footy club is tied up with the brand of sponsors, ergo the passionate fan is reasonably entitled to an opinion about the sponsors …

… because it can feed into our own sense of self.

If it didn’t work that way, then sponsors would simply save themselves a tonne of cash and buy billboard space instead.

Last edited:
Opinions are great. How does a sponsor actually effect any fan. Hence the people whinge over everything

You're right... sponsors don't affect the fans at all, these multi billion dollar conglomerates spend hundreds of millions advertising their product for fun.

How dumb would you be if u suddenly stopped eating everything but KFC just because your favourite side was sponsored by them...
Get real everyone.

Pretty dumb, i guess that's why it doesn't happen much.

There are a lot of people who are addicted to junk food, in part due to their advertising campaigns however. I bet a lot of Collingwood fans will be more likely to buy KFC now, that's exactly what the marketing experts would of analysed.

Not sure we need any more obese people in Australia.

I’m wondering what would a typical sponsor deal be worth financially, using kfc and pies as the example. Annually would be in the 100’s or million mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back