Resource 2021 Financials Thread

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Its coming up soon, so time for a new thread.

Most clubs will report between mid november and the end of the year. AFL reports will come out some time in March.

As always Im grateful to everyone here on Bigfooty and on my twitter feed who has had meaningful contributions in these threads over the last few years. Folks like RussellEbertHandball, Prince Imperial, dave10, Rob have been invaluable with their input over the years, others have assisted with obtaining annual reports in the early years, and still others have assisted with constructive criticism and great questions, particularly Kwality lol

This has always been a colloborative effort. If you see something that is incorrect, please let me know so I can fix it.

Previous Years threads:
Last years Annual Reports
Older Reports and associated Documents Post here.

Trackers

2021 Reports Table

2020 Reports Table

2019 Reports Table

Last edited:

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Looking forward to the ‘other’ footy season to commence. Separately, 2022 membership season starts again soon with many club auto renewals kicking in during October.

Another covid year, interesting to see the financials. With soft cap spending ~$3.5M down on two years ago, and some attendances in the first half of the year, I expect improved operating performances overall than last year. Let’s see…

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

I’m interested to know the latest status on the redevelopment of Marvel Stadium? At least from afar it appears covid has possibly stalled progress. We haven’t heardmuch in terms of genuine detail around the scope detail of what’s being done other than fairly top line outside drawings and figures at an overall level. Very little in terms of specifics around what’s actually being done inside the venue, drawings of the finished product etc.

Essendon has a contract for 7 home games which expires end of 2024. I’m sure Essendon will be thinking long and hard about it’s future at the venue beyond 2024 with a significant pull to play at least 1-2 more of its games at the larger stadium across town. I’m sure the inducements from the AFL will come to retain as much Bomber content at Marvel as possible, however majority of its fans prefer the MCG and growing its fanbase would more easier with space to grow down the road. Ditto Carlton.

The redevelopment in this respect is critical. It needs to become much more attractive to fans and show a genuine step change in moving into the future. Optus Stadium has made the joint very old, very very quickly. Maybe this fact has meant the league is making further changes on the run to ensure it simply isn’t playing catch up?

Having said all this, I’m certainly wondering why we have only seen minimal specific detail around what’s taking place, eventually at Marvel.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m interested to know the latest status on the redevelopment of Marvel Stadium? At least from afar it appears covid has possibly stalled progress. We haven’t heardmuch in terms of genuine detail around the scope detail of what’s being done other than fairly top line outside drawings and figures at an overall level. Very little in terms of specifics around what’s actually being done inside the venue, drawings of the finished product etc.

Essendon has a contract for 7 home games which expires end of 2024. I’m sure Essendon will be thinking long and hard about it’s future at the venue beyond 2024 with a significant pull to play at least 1-2 more of its games at the larger stadium across town. I’m sure the inducements from the AFL will come to retain as much Bomber content at Marvel as possible, however majority of its fans prefer the MCG and growing its fanbase would more easier with space to grow down the road. Ditto Carlton.

The redevelopment in this respect is critical. It needs to become much more attractive to fans and show a genuine step change in moving into the future. Optus Stadium has made the joint very old, very very quickly. Maybe this fact has meant the league is making further changes on the run to ensure it simply isn’t playing catch up?

Having said all this, I’m certainly wondering why we have only seen minimal specific detail around what’s taking place, eventually at Marvel.

Work has apparently started. The AFL has appointed John Holland to do the work, annunced it May to begin at seasons end.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

As of June 30, 2021, Foxtel’s total closing paid subscribers were 3.891 million, a 40% increase compared to the prior year, primarily due to growth in BINGE and Kayo subscribers and higher commercial subscribers

1.885 million of the total closing paid subscribers were residential and commercial broadcast subscribers, and the remaining 2.006 million consisted of Kayo, Binge and Foxtel Now subscribers.

As of June 30, 2021, there were 228,000 Foxtel Now subscribers (219,000 paying), compared to 336,000 subscribers (313,000 paying) in the prior year. Broadcast subscriber churn in the quarter was 17.1% compared to 13.2% in the prior year

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

suncorp.png
qcb.png
metricon.png
gabba.png
cbus.png

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

:thumbsu: ... well done Saints.
Going to make their financials worth a read, particularly where the funds to pay down debt came from.
The club thread has some very honest appraisals of their debt, how it accumulated & the attempts to get on top of it - a quick look but could not find it that thread.
Hopefully we can link it up.

Last edited:

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Agree. They’ve done very well returning the club to Moorabbin and rebuilding the soul of the club. They still don’t have as strong a caliber of sponsors as some other clubs and it’s membership in my view is still not where it should be. I think the Saints are a ~60,000 member club even without on field success. I suspect years of disconnect between the club (Seaford legacy), lack of sustained success and a slightly less dynamic administration are reasons. Although, I think the last two years they’ve become sharper in their fan engagement and overall marketing of its membership campaigns.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
:thumbsu: ... well done Saints.
Going to make their financials worth a read, particularly where the funds to pay down debt came from.
The club thread has some very honest appraisals of their debt, how it accumulated & the attempts to get on top of it - a quick look but could not find it that thread.
Hopefully we can link it up.
Gut feel is a reasonable profit on lower cost base (-$3.2M sift cap etc) and growth in revenue in membership and sponsorship. Their operating result, built on strong expectations should be strong. They may have depreciation charges against the facility which means a strong surplus may be offset by a lower statutory result after non cash items are taken into account.

Agree, a promising result.. As you’d expect.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Key points and clarification:

Total Profit of $8.2M includes donations and grants of $7.0M. Therefore the Operating Pr was $1.2M. However this $1.2M includes non cash expenses depreciation and amortisation of $3.8M. The ‘important’ takeaway is the club delivered a cash surplus for the year if $5.0M which was used to eliminate remaining debt incurred from building the $50M Hangar facility.

- Revenue of $56.6M (2020: $49.0M)
- Net Assets of $49.0M
- Membership 81,998

Likely to be one of the stronger financial results and club exits covid in stronger position than what it entered in.

Back