Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Interested to hear the theory here, can’t see how any team would be better off with Nic Nat instead of Gawn.

For Melbourne.
Nic Nat is the best clearance player in the comp, his inclusions makes Melbourne's midfield group go to another level (although arguably they don't need to). Nic Nat doesn't drop back and cover ground like Gawn does, but Melbourne backline can handle that drawback. It also allows Luke Jackson to spend more time on the ball, and the GF shows he's a potential superstar. Overall on team balance I think they improve marginally.

For West Coast
More obvious, but they don't work hard enough or have a decent back up ruck. Playing Gawn allows him to cover more ground defensively and spend more time on ball than Nic Nat can, and they don't have to force Allen into the ruck or play blokes who aren't ready. They lose out marginally on clearance work, but their overall side works better.

Would make the All Australian thread on Bigfooty go to another level also.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
For Melbourne.
Nic Nat is the best clearance player in the comp, his inclusions makes Melbourne's midfield group go to another level (although arguably they don't need to). Nic Nat doesn't drop back and cover ground like Gawn does, but Melbourne backline can handle that drawback. It also allows Luke Jackson to spend more time on the ball, and the GF shows he's a potential superstar. Overall on team balance I think they improve marginally.

For West Coast
More obvious, but they don't work hard enough or have a decent back up ruck. Playing Gawn allows him to cover more ground defensively and spend more time on ball than Nic Nat can, and they don't have to force Allen into the ruck or play blokes who aren't ready. They lose out marginally on clearance work, but their overall side works better.

Interesting points, I’d be curious to see how Melbourne’s defensive system operates without Gawn, and if Lever and May would be as effective though.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
For Melbourne.

For West Coast

Melbourne could have had Nicnat if they drafted him instead of Watts...

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
AFL can succeed in Tasmania.
It has a better chance of success in Tasmania than it does on the Gold Coast.

Both Melbourne and West Coast would get better if Nic Nat and Max Gawn swapped teams.
Terrible call based on this year. Gawn is younger, averages more disposals, marks, goals, hitouts, contested marks, marks inside 50, spends more time on the field than Nic Nat.

Melbourne don't benefit losing Gawn for any other ruck in the league right now. Theres only a handful of rucks in the last 20 years that would be able to match Gawns output this year, and Nic Nat in the last 5 years ain't one of them.
Nic Nat in 2015 comes close, but still wouldn't be better than Gawn 2021.

mattyc25

Senior List
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melbourne don't benefit losing Gawn for any other ruck in the league right now. Theres only a handful of rucks in the last 20 years that would be able to match Gawns output this year, and Nic Nat in the last 5 years ain't one of them.
Nic Nat in 2015 comes close, but still wouldn't be better than Gawn 2021.

After his 2021 he’d have to be the best ruck since Dean Cox, all bias aside?

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
After his 2021 he’d have to be the best ruck since Dean Cox, all bias aside?
Grundy in 2018/2019 wasn't far off Gawns best year, had more disposals and hit outs but kicked less goals. In recent times he is the only ruck I would consider to be on par with Gawn ATM if they were both "on".
Sean Darcy, should his leg not fall off, will eventually be as good as Gawn if this year was a sign of things to come, but a long way off the elite status that Gawn is in.
Different eras so harder to compare older rucks with how the last 4 years have gone, but since 2000 I would say the best rucks have been guys like Cox who would still dominate today, Darcy, Ottens and Everitt. Gardiner would be up there too. All mobile rucks who can go forward and kick goals and have good hands.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
The whole "underperformers" or "not wanting it enough" thing annoys me. In a game of football, the team who scores the most points will win. If a team is consistently losing games of football, they're not underperforming; they're just sh*t.
This.

Plus phrases used by supporters of the losing team such as “we didn’t turn up for the last quarter” or similar. You did turn up, idiots, the team was right there in front of everyone watching. You were outplayed and lost.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
This.

Plus phrases used by supporters of the losing team such as “we didn’t turn up for the last quarter” or similar. You did turn up, idiots, the team was right there in front of everyone watching. You were outplayed and lost.

The attitude and language of 'not getting one's pants pulled down' is mainly thanks to the modern sensibilities and progressive thinking members of our society imploring people to celebrate one's mere participation in any sporting event, not the scores or result. I've generally no issue with this ideology (the game was the real winner etc.) but the common sense train in application seems to have well and truly shot past the station..!

At the last footy club trophy night I attended a few years ago, my youngest son 'won' a trophy for '8th runner up' in their B&F..! A few parents even received 'reignition awards' for simply filling in as goal umpires for a few games..?

We're actually not too far away from songs such as 'We are the Champions' and 'There ain't no 2nd prize' being shunned at sporting events, given their related 'non-inclusive' themes..!

Last edited:

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The attitude and language of 'not getting one's pants pulled down' is mainly thanks to the modern sensibilities and progressive thinking members of our society imploring people to celebrate one's mere participation in any sporting event, not the scores or result. I've generally no issue with this ideology (the game was the real winner etc.) but the common sense train, in a practical sense seems to have well and truly shot past the station...
At the last footy club trophy night I attended a few years ago, my youngest son 'won' a trophy for '8th runner up' in their B&F..! A few parents even received 'reignition awards' for simply filling in as goal umpires for a few games..?

We're actually not too far away from songs such as 'We are the Champions' and 'There ain't no 2nd prize' being shunned at sporting events, given their related 'non-inclusive' themes..!
It's the way society has gone isn't it? 8th best and fairest. :oops: Won't be long before school's stop achievement awards and dux of college, because the students who miss out will be devastated and everyone deserves a prize and some recognition.
The real winner will be the trophy shops . Might open one up myself. 👍

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Is this true?

Yep, I took a photo of the trophy on the night as I've never seen such an award! From memory he only played about 6 games in 2018, due to bruised ribs and also school commitments.

Last edited:

nickcat0

Team Captain
Jun 22, 2007
Southport, Lancashire, England.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
St Helens RFC
There's nothing wrong with the game, enjoy it for the great spectacle that it is. The AFL should stop messing around with the rules, and those living in Australia should be happy that they get the chance to see it live in the flesh.

Stop worrying because Fred from NSW prefers Rugby league, or Eric from Alabama has never heard of it.

Only a handful of sports are truly worldwide, and that's okay. Stop worrying about how much money the NFL make, or how many people watch the Premier League on a tv screen in Asia. It doesn't matter.

Just enjoy the AFL, it's bloody marvellous.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
That while the MCG is rightly one of the greatest stadiums in the world, the ticketing - spread between MCC AFL and participating teams is an absolute schemozzle.

how often are there great swathes of empty seats close in, but people packed in at the back. Tell me another crowd event where this happens?

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond

iu

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
It's the way society has gone isn't it? 8th best and fairest. :oops: Won't be long before school's stop achievement awards and dux of college, because the students who miss out will be devastated and everyone deserves a prize and some recognition.

This 'inclusion' nonsense is going way too far, to the point of exclusion. As I was leaving the function, the club President thanks me for attending and my son's contribution during the season and politely asked if I'd enjoyed the evening?
I couldn't help myself - given the ludicrous amount of trophies and awards presented during the night - and sarcastically replied; "I'm a bit disappointed I didn't win a trophy, I mean I did help out on the BBQ a few times..?"

Last edited:

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's nothing wrong with the game, enjoy it for the great spectacle that it is. The AFL should stop messing around with the rules, and those living in Australia should be happy that they get the chance to see it live in the flesh.

Stop worrying because Fred from NSW prefers Rugby league, or Eric from Alabama has never heard of it.

Only a handful of sports are truly worldwide, and that's okay. Stop worrying about how much money the NFL make, or how many people watch the Premier League on a tv screen in Asia. It doesn't matter.

Just enjoy the AFL, it's bloody marvellous.

I think, personally, the issue is over saturation and media coverage of non issues during the week makes the games on the weekend lose a bit of their shine. Made a concerted effort to not engage with the media this season and noticed my enjoyment for neutral games starting to return.

Back