FTA-TV The Wheel Of Time (WoT) *NO BOOK SPOILERS*

Remove this Banner Ad

A few Non-readers seem to be enjoying it, which I think is a good thing.

It seems to be book purists and people expecting it to be a GoT knock-off that aren’t happy, which is fine, it was never going to make everyone happy.

However since a lot of non-readers are enjoying the story, it probably means the changes were probably the right decision.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers

It seems to be book purists and people expecting it to be a GoT knock-off that aren’t happy, which is fine, it was never going to make everyone happy.

However since a lot of non-readers are enjoying the story, it probably means the changes were probably the right decision.

Every adaptation deviates a little, otherwise there's not much in it for the old fans. As long as they don't change anything that is essential to the books, I'm happy.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I feared it would be awful and it's definitely exceeded those expectations. Pretty well-cast so far and some of it looks gorgeous, but there have been a few parts where it doesn't resemble a world that's truly "lived in", which is something GoT always did well. And there has been a few scenes with unnatural dialogue. But it's not the disaster I was expecting. I'll be interested to see how they develop the stakes and the world-building as the story expands.

I did wonder about the stipulation in the first episode that the Dragon Reborn could be male or female. That seems to neutralise quite an important story element.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Watched the first episode last night (I read books ~15 years ago) with my wife who hasn't read the books.

First episode was good. Wife enjoyed it, had audible gasp when old mate did his wife in.

There wasn't anything that jumped out at me as wrong, based on my admittedly shaky memory of reading the books.

Laid the groundwork for hopefully what will be an enjoyable series.

Im a binge watcher and pretty keen to check it out, anyone know when the full first season will be available?

5 weeks. 8 episode season with the first 3 out so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been OK so far. Full of everything that every fantasy story has like a prophecy, an evil force in the background ready to come back, a long journey to reach somewhere through perilous places, messiahs, monsters, and magic. But it's well-made and acted.
Yep in the beginning it’s very tropey. However the books do open up and become their own thing, hopefully the series is the same.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I've probably read the books maybe 5 times end to end and key scenes probably dozens of times, honestly don't get these moron book readers worried about minor changes / gender shite etc.

Until GoT got big there was 0% chance we were going to get a TV series and the fact we are getting anything at all is pretty amazing.

Sure if they make changes like Moraine is the dragon reborn or something i'd be pretty filthy but the show runner is a genuine fan (and has engaged sanderson in the making of the show) and isn't like those GoT writers so just hoping it gets to 8 series.

people brigading the user scores is pretty poor and imho shows a lack of understanding of the books.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Without spoilers, the first three episodes work well together. I think a lot of what has me excited for episode 4, is that I know who the episode is focused on, one of my favourite characters.

one of the show runner interviews talks about the focus of episode 4 which is pretty interesting. Definitely an exciting arc within the books.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I've probably read the books maybe 5 times end to end and key scenes probably dozens of times, honestly don't get these moron book readers worried about minor changes / gender sh*te etc.

Until GoT got big there was 0% chance we were going to get a TV series and the fact we are getting anything at all is pretty amazing.

Sure if they make changes like Moraine is the dragon reborn or something i'd be pretty filthy but the show runner is a genuine fan (and has engaged sanderson in the making of the show) and isn't like those GoT writers so just hoping it gets to 8 series.

people brigading the user scores is pretty poor and imho shows a lack of understanding of the books.
I find the stipulation that the Dragon Reborn could be male or female bizarre.

I mean, as if there's any real question anyway. It's not some big mystery, like OMG who will it be?

But also, the whole point is the Dragon Reborn is male because that is a dangerous proposition. Will he save the world or go mad and destroy it? That is central to him being such a polarising figure, but it goes out the window if it's a woman. She'd just be a powerful Aes Sedai, and there are plenty of those already. There are different, higher stakes involved if it's a man.

I'm not sure why they steered it that way, towards being male or female, effectively underplaying a key story element.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Episode 2 was concerning, but Episode 3 recovered well. I think they might have told Rand to smile more, and maybe written in a few jokes for him, he was starting to give me Anakin vibes before he lightened up. Perrin unfortunately remains a wet blanket. Idk if that actor can do stoic without looking miserable. Mat is probably the best of the boys like he is in the books. The Thom character was a welcome addition. Egwene, Lan, Nynaeve, all performed well. Moraine is awesome.

I'm encouraged by them sticking to the high fantasy elements and not moving away too far from the books to set up contrived conflicts among factions and characters. I have had enough of that in other modern TV shows, ie Vikings or Sons of Anarchy.

Not a fan of Rand saying words like prick, etc.

Really enjoyed that sequence with the Darkfriend, the hint at Rands power when he chopped wood and busted down the door, and also other hints throughout the episode at the main character abilities.

Definitely looking forward to the rest of the season now.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Episode 2 was concerning, but Episode 3 recovered well. I think they might have told Rand to smile more, and maybe written in a few jokes for him, he was starting to give me Anakin vibes before he lightened up. Perrin unfortunately remains a wet blanket. Idk if that actor can do stoic without looking miserable. Mat is probably the best of the boys like he is in the books. The Thom character was a welcome addition. Egwene, Lan, Nynaeve, all performed well. Moraine is awesome.

I'm encouraged by them sticking to the high fantasy elements and not moving away too far from the books to set up contrived conflicts among factions and characters. I have had enough of that in other modern TV shows, ie Vikings or Sons of Anarchy.

Not a fan of Rand saying words like prick, etc.

Really enjoyed that sequence with the Darkfriend, the hint at Rands power when he chopped wood and busted down the door, and also other hints throughout the episode at the main character abilities.

Definitely looking forward to the rest of the season now.
Haven't watched past episode one yet, but Perrin being a wet blanket and miserable is reasonably understandable given what he did in the first episode.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I just went through a WoT wiki to refamiliarise myself with some of the characters. And FMD I forgot how many there are. That's going to require serious paring down.

There's also bizarre elements that don't really connect to the main story and never really get explained. I wonder if they'll keep that stuff.

Last edited:
I've probably read the books maybe 5 times end to end and key scenes probably dozens of times, honestly don't get these moron book readers worried about minor changes / gender sh*te etc.

Yep I heard about that and went and rated it well on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and Amazon, in an attempt to balance the haters at least a little bit. :D

I find the stipulation that the Dragon Reborn could be male or female bizarre.

I mean, as if there's any real question anyway. It's not some big mystery, like OMG who will it be?

But also, the whole point is the Dragon Reborn is male because that is a dangerous proposition. Will he save the world or go mad and destroy it? That is central to him being such a polarising figure, but it goes out the window if it's a woman. She'd just be a powerful Aes Sedai, and there are plenty of those already. There are different, higher stakes involved if it's a man.

I'm not sure why they steered it that way, towards being male or female, effectively underplaying a key story element.
They wanted the mystery of season 1 to be who is the dragon reborn. That’s pretty much all it is. And from what I’ve heard on social media from non-readers, they’re enjoying the mystery.

People are already putting up fan adaptions of The Man who can’t Forget and Weep for Manetheren on YouTube and they’re not bad. :D

I’m one of those that really wants Lorne Balfe to put The Man who can’t Forget up on Spotify and the other music streaming services.

That was just an awesome way to introduce Thom.

I miss book Thom, but I do like TV Show Thom a lot. Hoping we get more songs from Alexandre Willaume in future episodes and seasons.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back